RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Was this sensible?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

nigel52

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Was this sensible?

That time of year when my annual VED tax is due ie £490. However, before paying it I played a few scenarios through on my head, these were:

1. Am I going to keep the car a full year?
2. Is my renewal of Warranty Direct in December going to be sensible or are they going to hit me for my two claims this year?
3. I am out of the country May-Jul inclusive and the car is garaged and hardly used so maybe I don't need VED for those months as long as I have insurance. (Maybe I have made an incorrect assumption on this point)

I am told that getting back unused months of VED is a hassle so this time I have taken the £24.50 interest penalty and taxed only for 6 months.

So if point 3 is valid then I re-tax from August onwards when the car is back in the country and have saved 3 months VED if I decide to keep the vehicle. If point 3 is not valid then I just re-tax for 6 months at the end of April. Current Merc GLE 3.5d 2016 model, 2011 RRS HSE standard
Previous 2012 FL2 liked but boot too small
Previous to LR's 3 x Merc E320 estates - fantastic load carriers and long distance cruisers, ultra reliable. Only changed as needed a 4x4 high tow vehicle. Did have a 1955 early LR drop down windscreen and fuel tank under the drivers seat; again very reliable and super rugged.

Post #477827 Mon Oct 26 2015 10:51am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

You say that the car is "hardly used" for the 3 months, this implies that somebody will be giving it an occassional run (this is what I do when I am away for 3 to 4 months) then you will have to leave some insurance and it will have to be taxed to go out on the road. If you can leave it stored then you could SORN it and reduce the insurance to 3rd party fire and theft. With so many ANPR detectors around now it could prove very expensive if you didn't tax and insure for that one occassion when the car was taken out for a run to keep the battery charged. Also if you have any finance on your car check that the finance company terms don't require fully comp and taxed at all times although contacting them and telling them will help clear that up. It is so much hassle for me doing this every 3 months that I just tax and have fully comp insurance for the full 12 months. Check also that your MOT if applicable also won't expire while you are away. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #477828 Mon Oct 26 2015 11:21am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nigel52

Ok to clarify :

1. Full MOT in force during the period.
2. Full comprehensive insurance incl. EU cover in force
3. The car will be out of the country and will be used. However, I rightly or wrongly believe VED is for UK use only therefore not required if driving in France for instance. Current Merc GLE 3.5d 2016 model, 2011 RRS HSE standard
Previous to LR's 3 x Merc E320 estates - fantastic load carriers and long distance cruisers, ultra reliable. Only changed as needed a 4x4 high tow vehicle. Did have a 1955 early LR drop down windscreen and fuel tank under the drivers seat; again very reliable and super rugged.

Post #477829 Mon Oct 26 2015 11:27am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Plenty of Eastern Europeans who have brought their cars over here long term without registering them seem to be able to get away with no insurance, VED or MOT so why not you in France................... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #477833 Mon Oct 26 2015 12:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nigel52

Not trying to do anything illegal. As I will have an MOT and EU cover insurance from my current UK Insurance provider.

Actually it is more that I might change the car than anything else. Current Merc GLE 3.5d 2016 model, 2011 RRS HSE standard

Post #477836 Mon Oct 26 2015 1:01pm
parish

United Kingdom 

Not sure how much of a factor the VED refund is for you but I have been refunded twice under the new system (post tax discs) and it was really quick. Within a week of declaring online I had sold my Macan (no V5 yellow slip to send off anymore) back in September I had a cheque through the post. Dare I say it, the DVLA seem to have got their act together at last.

Post #477840 Mon Oct 26 2015 1:20pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

I thought terms on most insurance policies that you are Taxed, MOT'd and Insured to keep it valid, basically road worthy in the country of origin, even though you are not in the UK, i would expect that you would need to keep it taxed also

Is the saving really worth the hassle, I would be more concerned that my insurance covered me fully for a extended trip abroad and not TPFT

If you are planning this, then i would be inclined to ask your insurance about it, than a forum Laughing

Post #477865 Mon Oct 26 2015 4:41pm
Frax

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

I had to wait 8 weeks for a refund, had also to send them an online claim inquiry after 6 weeks before I got a refund.
Don't like this new system one bit. Lot of Landcruisers now sold
Audi TT 240 Sport now sold for.
RRS 2.7 HSE Now sold for.
RRS Autoibiography 2012
Defender 300tdi 90

Post #477873 Mon Oct 26 2015 5:08pm
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

I think. Reciprocal agreements within EU means car must be taxed, road legal etc in country of origin.

Post #477876 Mon Oct 26 2015 5:39pm
nigel52

I guessed this might be the case. I will just renew in April. No big deal really. Current Merc GLE 3.5d 2016 model, 2011 RRS HSE standard

Post #477905 Mon Oct 26 2015 8:26pm
Bladeboy

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Siberian Silver

Sounds like you've made your mind up. However I've found the SORN process to be pretty good- I use an old MX 5 very rarely- taxed it for a year last August- end of October declared in SORN and a cheque arrived for the refund within a week.

Post #477936 Mon Oct 26 2015 11:45pm
SVR575

United Kingdom 

I have mine in Italy Nigel and its on sorn, i do use it now and then though. I take my chances. If you want to be 100% it needs to be taxed. SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #477988 Tue Oct 27 2015 8:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1