Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Sport on 22" rims
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Quarryman223

United Kingdom 
Sport on 22" rims

Hi, looking for a bit of help/advice please,
I currently run a 2012 discovery commercial 3 litre diesel and a 2012 5 litre supercharged autobiography sport, both have covered 30000 miles (approx) and have full Land Rover history, the problem I have is both are on 22" rims, the discovery drives absolutely perfect and is very precise and a pleasure to drive.....but the sport is awful, you have a job to keep it in a straight line when excelerating hard, at slow speeds the truck is a lot better, nice and smooth but the problem is still there, even little things like when overtaking you have to really hold on to it as even the white lines can make it pull funny as you pass over them,
Has anyone any ideas as to why the disco drives so perfectly on 22's and the sport not? I was always led to believe they were the same truck underneath, if anything with the dynamic set up on the sport you'd of thought the suspension would be better?
The sport is on brand new genuine overfinch wheels and the disco on cheap stormers,
Both trucks have same Toyo tyres,
The sport has just been MOT'd so has been completely checked over,
Neither have been in an accident,
When the sport was on 20's the problem was still there but nowhere near as bad, I know that the trucks aren't designed for 22's and you are going to have to sacrifice some of the ride quality but after running the disco for 3 years now without an issue and it being such a pleasure to drive you'd think the sport would to,
Does anyone think the power difference may play a role.....that much more torque trying to get out?
Any advise would be greatly received,
Many thanks in advance!

Post #477719 Sun Oct 25 2015 10:51am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

I have a 5.0L S/C running on 21" SVR Rims and it drivers perfect, if you have had a issue with two sets of wheels and tyres I would be inclined to think the issue is with the car. Have you had a 4 wheel alignment done? as that would be a good place to start and go from there, what tyre pressures are you running?.

A lot of mucking about but have you tried the Disco wheels on the Sport if they are at least 20" the should fit over the brembos ok.

Cheers
Col

Post #477721 Sun Oct 25 2015 11:10am
Quarryman223

United Kingdom 

Morning Col
Thanks for the reply,
Yes I've done the 4 wheel alignment and made no difference, not sure on tyre pressures but both trucks are the same,
I've tried 2 different sets of 22" rims and still the same, have put 20" sport wheels on disco and drives fine, haven't got the 19" of disco anymore so can't try them. As you said think the problem is deffinatly on the car but have had Landrover check it over twice and they say it's fine!
If I didn't have the two side by side I would have to just agreed but their like chalk and cheese to drive.

Post #477725 Sun Oct 25 2015 11:23am
SPX

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Java Black

Have you tried swapping wheels between the Disco and the Sport?

Post #477731 Sun Oct 25 2015 11:47am
Quarryman223

United Kingdom 

No I've not tried that mate, mite be worth a go!

Post #477733 Sun Oct 25 2015 12:22pm
shakeapaw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

its the car, something is not aligned properly, I had 22 on mine, rock steady all the way upto 3 figures.
A mot is not an inspection, its just a check, take it to a good indie 07,TDV8,Black, Black Heated leather all round, Rear Entertainment with Headpones & Remote, TV, DVD, Pure Dab Digital Radio, Sidesteps, Adaptive Headlights, sunroof, now working fuel burning heater Smile)))

Post #477953 Tue Oct 27 2015 12:28pm
Andyjay123

I love my 22's and have no issues whatever speed i Drive. Don't understand what all the fuss is about people not liking the ride!??!!??!?! Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz 2006 RRS Supercharged 4.2 HST muthuaflecka!

Post #477955 Tue Oct 27 2015 1:19pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Not sure where in Somerset you are, but if you're within reach, I'd (very highly) recommend Steve Norman: http://www.tandsnorman.com/ (Just south of Shepton Mallet) He can check all your alignments etc. and I'm sure would get to the bottom of it. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #477959 Tue Oct 27 2015 2:17pm
Bladeboy

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Siberian Silver

I'm no expert- but wasn't there an issue with the steering rack needing to be updated to manage 22's? Maybe your issue? I have 22's and find the ride fine. Have driven another sport on 19's which was undoubtedly smoother- but not massively in my opinion

Post #477985 Tue Oct 27 2015 7:13pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

There was an issue between 2005 and 2007 running RRS1 on bigger than 19" rims without an updated steering rack or the Dynamic Handling Pack. After 2007 Land Rover decided that RRS owners might want to run bigger wheels so the uprated rack became standard across all models. 4.4 and S/C had it as standard from day one. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #477993 Tue Oct 27 2015 8:32pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Quarryman223

United Kingdom 

Thanks for all the info guys!
"Lost for words" I'm only 10 miles from Shepton so may give the bloke a call,
"Shakeapaw" totally agree it's the car and agree Mot is only a check but Land Rover had it in twice under warranty and said they checked everything and it was all fine, both times I put the 20's back on so they didn't kick up a fuss.....but only down side is problem then is nowhere near as bad! Independent Is got to be the way to go.
Driving my disco on 22's is lovely and you can just use one hand and still drive like a loon....but with the sport it's both hands and even then it's hard work,

Post #477998 Tue Oct 27 2015 9:07pm
Quarryman223

United Kingdom 

Lost for Words wrote:
Not sure where in Somerset you are, but if you're within reach, I'd (very highly) recommend Steve Norman: http://www.tandsnorman.com/ (Just south of Shepton Mallet) He can check all your alignments etc. and I'm sure would get to the bottom of it. Thumbs Up

Called Steve this morning and the truck is with him already!! after a test drive he agrees there's something wrong and its pointing towards the rear end set up!
Thanks for recommending him "Lost for words"

Will keep you all posted as to what they find......looking forward to shoving the results up the local Land Rover dealers Arse too!!

Thanks again for all the replies.

Post #478086 Wed Oct 28 2015 4:13pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

He's a top chap. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #478087 Wed Oct 28 2015 4:28pm
Wilson

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Tim in Scotland wrote:
There was an issue between 2005 and 2007 running RRS1 on bigger than 19" rims without an updated steering rack or the Dynamic Handling Pack. After 2007 Land Rover decided that RRS owners might want to run bigger wheels so the uprated rack became standard across all models. 4.4 and S/C had it as standard from day one.

Mine is a TDV8 registered 30/01/2007, on factory 20" wheels how can I tell if mine has the uprated rack or the older rack? just out of curiosity?

Thanks

Post #478165 Thu Oct 29 2015 11:57am
crammy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Stornoway Grey

i would of thought yours has it wilson if the wheels are factory 20's and they new about the problem with wheels larger than 19 but you never know i guess

Post #478168 Thu Oct 29 2015 12:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>