RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > MY16 Standard Sound System vs Meridian
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

parish

United Kingdom 
MY16 Standard Sound System vs Meridian

I can only find pre MY16 threads on sound systems but have picked up a suggestion that LR have dumbed down the standard offering. So would really be interested to hear some latest delivery views of the standard system or from those who took the £1000 Meridian upgrade. I am about to press the button on my order (once I get over all the bad stuff on reliability on this forum...) and an dithering over spending another £1000 I can't really afford. I prefer quality of sound vs bass and volume. Thanks

Post #476660 Fri Oct 16 2015 8:38pm
wilf

I can only compare the "lower spec" audio with the 825W Meridian on the Jaguars I have had and tried. And it is chalk and cheese, although tbh I preferred the older B&W system.

Ticking the 825W meridian box on the options sheet was a no brainer for me. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #476663 Fri Oct 16 2015 8:41pm
parish

United Kingdom 

Any more views please ? Will be placing my order early next week.

Post #476846 Sat Oct 17 2015 9:50pm
JSR2014

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Having had the stock in my XF, I'd never buy a JLR stock sound system again. The meridian is, in my opinion, money well spent. 2014.5 Mariana Black 5.0 Supercharged V8 Autobiography

Post #476859 Sat Oct 17 2015 11:05pm
parish

United Kingdom 

Many thanks. I see you have Mariana which is a colour I am wobbling over. How black vs blue do you find it generally ?

Post #476871 Sun Oct 18 2015 7:00am
R444SPT

United Kingdom 

I love the Mariana black, it looks black most of the time,Mobutu the blue does come through when the sun catches it right.
From having spent time with both, I wouldn't be having a vehicle with the base sound system, even before they may have dumbed it down. Pics of Mariana black, the second one shows the blue coming through. Are on L494 new orders section under " replacement for 2015 MY "

Post #476872 Sun Oct 18 2015 7:06am
parish

United Kingdom 

Thanks again. I love these 'trick blacks', Barolo being another on my short list of 3 (Carpathian being the other). The problem I've got is that virtually every car I have owned in over 40 years of driving has been black - including 3 RRS in Santorini. So I swore I would break the mould this time. Off to the dealer later to have another look at the swatches and make a decision. Will also see if they can demo the two sound systems but it looks like I am going to have to cough another £1k. I had a Harmon Kardon system in one of those RRS and I remember it being brilliant.

Post #476878 Sun Oct 18 2015 7:40am
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

If you love your music ... then get the Meridian , it's an awesome system and far better than the old HK...

The standard system will struggle ... it's called standard... or basic for a reason ...

I did read a while ago of one member upgrading his system with some success so it may not be all over if you don't like the

sound.... but I'd always have maunfacturer fit and installed 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Post #476887 Sun Oct 18 2015 9:12am
R444SPT

United Kingdom 

parish wrote:
Thanks again. I love these 'trick blacks', Barolo being another on my short list of 3 (Carpathian being the other). The problem I've got is that virtually every car I have owned in over 40 years of driving has been black - including 3 RRS in Santorini. So I swore I would break the mould this time. Off to the dealer later to have another look at the swatches and make a decision. Will also see if they can demo the two sound systems but it looks like I am going to have to cough another £1k. I had a Harmon Kardon system in one of those RRS and I remember it being brilliant.

Barolo is an interesting one, I wanted that until I saw it in the flesh, and it looked chalky in the wet and often looks brown not red in the brighter sunlight,mothers are pictures elsewhere on here.

I'm sure LR will demo the £5k sound system as well, that one was interesting when I had loan car for a few days crank the volume up at all and the speakers in the roof lining have the rear view mirror vibrate.

The 825w option I personally think is the best one for the vehicle.

Post #476890 Sun Oct 18 2015 9:17am
parish

United Kingdom 

On the face of it you are right. But the other car I have been looking at is the Volvo XC90 (no insulting comments please) who offer two choices - standard or a £3k Bowers & Wilkins system. I was in a dealer last week talking numbers and he persuaded me to let him demo the 'standard' system in his showroom car. It was amazing.

And don't worry Volvo haters I have ruled out the XC90 as the numbers just don't work. Shame though as I have not picked up anything like the reliability concerns as I am on the RRS...

Post #476891 Sun Oct 18 2015 9:24am
JSR2014

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

I think the XC90 is a great car, safe, comfortable and reliable.

However, it's the image I can't get passed. I like the design but I am too young to be in a car which has no aspiration at all to be driven quickly.

If they made a T5-R version is certainly give it a look....

Mariana is a great colour, however, it's a very soft paint so scratches easily.

It's a v.dark blue, you can see the contrast vs the pillars and looks best when clean. I love it and wold not hesitate to get it again. Every car I've ever owned has been black, this was as far as I could push it lol 2014.5 Mariana Black 5.0 Supercharged V8 Autobiography

Post #476892 Sun Oct 18 2015 9:44am
parish

United Kingdom 

I was interested in the T8 hybrid with a combined BHP of over 400...Have a look at this clip - it's from a French review but demo the power at 5:10 as they pull away from the toll booth.

I think I know where I would put my money on a head to head standing start with a RRS SDV6. Trouble is there won't be one in the country until next year to try and as I said they work out v.expensive to buy even with the £5k government subsidy.

But I agree on the styling front - RRS hands down.

Post #476894 Sun Oct 18 2015 10:03am
parish

United Kingdom 

....PS I had a 850R as my company car many moons ago. Went like a rocket and got me in trouble a few times. Only time it was in the dealers in 3 years was for servicing...

Post #476897 Sun Oct 18 2015 10:10am
Screenwipe

United Kingdom 

Hi Parish. I had the exact same short list of colours and went Mariana in the end. Barolo I think is black first, something brown or burgundy second. Whereas Mariana I think is very dark navy blue first, and black second. I'm sure you've taken a look at all of them in the flesh? The dealer samples don't give any feel for how they look on the road and in daylight. I was Barolo first until I saw it in the flesh and knew it wasn't for me. Similarly seeing a Mariana at the dealers was what made me choose that.

I have the basic meridian system by default as you're forced to take it when you order the rear seat videos. That's a real bit of sneakiness by Land Rover however I'm glad it happened as I wouldn't have ordered it otherwise and the sound is really first rate. It doesn't make up for the utterly rubbish infotainment navigation and display but it helps.

Post #476960 Sun Oct 18 2015 8:53pm
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I ran one of the original XC90's for 6 years where all I ever did was replace the tyres and get it serviced every year. When I switched to Land Rover I sold the XC90 top my father in law. It is now 10 years old and apart from new tyres, 1 new battery, yearly service and a timing belt change, it has never missed a beat.

I must admit I am starting to worry about the little niggles on the L494 and am seriously looking at jumping ship to another manufacturer.......

Post #476961 Sun Oct 18 2015 9:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>