RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Brakes Squealing - Am going to burn the car....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

iainm

United Kingdom 
Brakes Squealing - Am going to burn the car....

6months in - 8kmiles

Brakes started to squeak intermittently from slowing down from around 25mph; they now sound like nails being dragged down a blackboard from 15mph every time I slow down

Anyone else had this? If so what was the problem? - Had TWO nails in 2 tyres - Kwik Fit repaired them; mentioned the brakes - suggested to them dust - laughter and said its not dust???

So its going in on the 18th

Also told them about

the noisy windscreen wiper
hesitancy when at roundabouts taking off

and breathe......

anyone any similar experiences, feel free to share - am so tempted at this point to chop it for an X5 M50d.....

Cheers and hope everyone is enjoying the bank holiday Very Happy

Post #471360 Sat Aug 29 2015 5:06pm
StuRRS

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Hi Iain
I've had my new RRS for 9 months and 4k miles . I've noticed some low speed brake squeal and the n/s disc is scored.
Not due in for service for another couple of months but be interested to know how you get on on the 18th
Also got the hesitancy - turbo lag/remap required?
Happy to share a couple of observations:
Sloshy fuel tank - stuff a small suitcase sized piece of foam in the tank and reduce your range by a 3rd, sir?
Snails pace response on the touch screen? Good luck sorting that one.....
However, X5, seriously?
Despite the foibles nothing comes close to the RRS IMHO

Hope you get the RRS sorted and begin to enjoy the finer side of the brand Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Stu
2023 RRS p440e SE Dynamic
2018 Discovery 5 SDV6 HSE Santorini gone
2014 SDV6 HSE Santorini gone
2007 TDV6 HSE Java gone
2003 Discovery TD5 ES gone and missed
2008 Q7 gone
2005 X5 gone
2003 X5 gone
2000 Freelander 2.5 V6 gone- not missed!!

Post #471384 Sat Aug 29 2015 8:12pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Have you driven down any long gravel drives or resurfaced roads that have been given an all weather granite chipping surface recently? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #471394 Sat Aug 29 2015 9:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
iainm

United Kingdom 

Thanks Guys for the responses

I get the woefully slow infotainment screen; the intermittent DAB drop off in the middle of the city too!!

No sloshy fuel tank as yet - but seatbelt housing on passenger side squeaks when leaned against and volume control on steering wheel has at times just stopped working requiring ignition to be turned on and off to rectify it...

I had 2 previous X5 4.0d MSports with no hesitancy with lag - the downside is you look like a tw4t driving one; the lag though is a real ball ache - is there a software update for it yet or are JLR refusing to accept their is an issue??? Thats my biggest niggle; am driving it in dynamic sport all the time to try and minimise the lag, but as you know - its nothing for a couple of seconds then boost comes on and it is off down the road like a scared cat.

@Tim - no gravel drives - just the M4 - its progressively getting worse hence why I decided to call dealer

Specced a new Q7 to 61k - but Fugly and not waiting months for a Macan turbo...or paying over list.

Post #471439 Sun Aug 30 2015 1:29pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I think the hesitancy, which has existed since the D3 came out, is a gearbox issue rather than an engine/turbo issue. My guess is that it's about making the pull away "cultured" rather than "boy racer". That or it's protecting the gearbox in some way. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #471442 Sun Aug 30 2015 2:06pm
iainm

United Kingdom 

Not sure its do do with being cultured, rather than "boy racer"; more, you see a gap at a roundabout, want to go - car hesitates, moves off in second, then changes into first; cue lurching forward and off down the road.

I guess if its a gearbox thing, then its something will have to get used to and adopt driving style to suit- just frustrating when you want to go and be progressive , rather than "hoof it' from the roundabout

Post #471459 Sun Aug 30 2015 5:14pm
Tim in Scotland

I thought that using the Sand setting (with it's launch control) and paddleshifts got around this problem and does the same problem exist with the 5.0l S/C's or is it specific to just the SDv6? I've never found it to be a problem so either I'm driving like a granny or not all RRS's suffer from it 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #471465 Sun Aug 30 2015 5:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

You don't need sand mode, just manually select 1st gear with the stick (or paddles). 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #471467 Sun Aug 30 2015 6:08pm
JSR2014

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Tim in Scotland wrote:
does the same problem exist with the 5.0l S/C's or is it specific to just the SDv6? I've never found it to be a problem so either I'm driving like a granny or not all RRS's suffer from it

Nope the S/C doesn't (not that I have mine at the moment). Currently in a loaner SDV6 and the lag is there but nowhere near as bad as it was on my
XF...!! 2014.5 Mariana Black 5.0 Supercharged V8 Autobiography

Post #471497 Mon Aug 31 2015 7:29am
wilf

I thought the SDV6 loaner I had last week was much better in terms of "lag" than my current XF, I really have to drive around that. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #471505 Mon Aug 31 2015 8:28am
iainm

United Kingdom 

Update:- vehicle is back from the dealer

squealing brakes - not scored / warped etc - discs cleaned Lets see how this turns out...

Hesitancy - accordingly, the brake and the accelerator cannot be depressed at the same time; they have had a few cars with the same issue; the brake is staying on momentarily too long once the accelerator is depressed. They have reset whatever was able to be reset and altered a ratchet on the brake (lovely technical answer from me!!!)

DAB dropping out - software update applied

Noisy wipers - replaced the blades

Speed limit display - apparently it is linked to a database; however they couldn't replicate the issues I was/am experiencing; showed them the various videos taken at different times showing --- ; technician was honest and said he hadn't seen this issue or many RR with the speed limit display so couldn't offer a solution as they couldn't replicate the issue. Not sure what to do on this one - Guess its something I will have to live with Rolling Eyes

How are the residual values on these at the moment? Had a brief chat with the sales guy who sold it me and he told me they were still very good news.

Post #473563 Sat Sep 19 2015 8:03am
Tim in Scotland

Yes, it will be good news for the dealers as they don't need to give discounts on new cars and give terrible part-exchange values on the car you would like to sell back to them................. great news for the dealers/ salesmen, bad news for the owners 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #473566 Sat Sep 19 2015 9:04am
iainm

United Kingdom 

brakes still squealing like a little piggy..........FFS!!! Shocked

Post #473617 Sun Sep 20 2015 8:30am
JSR2014

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Interesting,

I had not suffered this until I had my rear calipers changed a few weeks ago, straight after the replacements its started to do it....could it be caliper related? 2014.5 Mariana Black 5.0 Supercharged V8 Autobiography

Post #473854 Tue Sep 22 2015 10:19am
DVMK

My brakes also squealing from 15mph to 0. (15k miles on the clock). Dealer (in London) checked it and said nothing wrong and nothing could be done. But then again not the best dealer as my car has had to go in so many times - at least once in 3 months and an average of 2-3 attempts to fix each problem - I also seem to have all the standard set of faults like fuel tank slosh, lag on acceleration from zero, wiper smear, humming sound from 22' wheels and latest a smelly AC on startup. I am so fed up. I like the design and look of the car - but after sales service is just a complete joke and wish there were better laws to protect consumers during warranty.

Post #474986 Thu Oct 01 2015 9:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>