RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Dynamic mode
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

aks

United Kingdom 
Dynamic mode

A few reviews I have read mention the dynamic mode option really improves handling for spirited driving. Well, that option is now only available in a £3500 pack, so then you might as well step up to the HSE Dynamic. Of course this is marketing at it's best!

My questions are:
1. I assume dynamic mode has to be selected specifically, rather than being something that's always on?
2. Does it make much difference to the handling?
3. I understand it sharpens the throttle response too, but so does pushing the gear selector over to sport. Is there any difference here?

The reason I ask is that my 530i has sport-auto with buttons for driving mode, and I nearly never use them in practice (too much faffing when driving). I nearly always simply use the paddles on the steering wheel and/or push the gearstick over to sport. Much quicker when a more lively response is needed to get you out of trouble Very Happy ! Tony

Post #468924 Wed Jul 29 2015 11:21pm
alexv

United Kingdom 

I will answer your first question.
Dynamic is IMHO essential, I love the drive in normal mode its smooth and refined however it's not so nice trying to drive on country roads as there is too much lean from its height weight etc etc?
I also live near milton keynes and all those roundabouts mean that passenger comfort is key, so dynamic to me means stiffer suspension and no roll and lean when driving around said areas, making it not only satisfying for me but more comforting to passengers.
Plus also who couldn't resist the lure of the dash turning red when activated, it's only a quick twist of the knob to the left and there it is! On order expected October 16 macan turbo
Current car MY15 Hse Dynamic
Cayenne v6 MY64
RRS MY13 Black edition
Discovery MY61 xs
RRS TDV6 MY07
XC90 Executive
Yada yada yada

Post #468929 Thu Jul 30 2015 7:07am
aks

United Kingdom 

Thanks, that's what i thought. And, I understand it won't 'stay' in dynamic mode between starts, it always reverts back to normal mode (it's what my BM does). Is this assumption correct? Tony

Post #468952 Thu Jul 30 2015 1:18pm
Fletcher

England 

I've only had demo cars for weekends but oh my word, it's really good, it's a proper sport mode that transforms the car when you want to make good time / push on ( give it the beans )

Post #468954 Thu Jul 30 2015 1:24pm
Hodog16

United States 

I believe it has to be turned on each time.

Land Rover has an official video on YouTube if you need more convincing!

https://youtu.be/XulkFsUnw64?list=PLEJkjr_...HVSuQt2jta 2016 SCV8 Dynamic - Firenze Red/Pimento

Post #469010 Thu Jul 30 2015 11:25pm
Renaco

Germany 

The dynamic mode has to be turned on every day and then it stays for the next restarts (only if they are min. 4 hours of not using the car it resets to standard mode).

Post #469027 Fri Jul 31 2015 10:59am
aks

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the video link. A significant reduction in body roll, so that seems like the way to go without doubt. Tony

Post #469040 Fri Jul 31 2015 4:30pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

If RRS2's Dynamic system is anything like the Evoque's then it operates all the time, regardless of the setting being selected or not. What happens when you select the dynamic setting is the suspension, steering (remember it is electronic power asistance not hydraulic), throttle and gearbox ECU's all get remapped to give "sportier" handlingthan in standard mode. Ther big difference between Evoque's system and RRS2's is the suspension Evoque has Magneride, RRS has the airbags. The change to Dynamic setting in the RRS is much more noticable than it is in an Evoque Dynamic whether is is because on air springs and being a high car the "tied down" feeling is more noticable in the RRS than the low slung, harsher suspended Evoque I don't know. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #469080 Fri Jul 31 2015 9:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bermyandy

2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zermatt Silver

Is the torque vectoring always on? Also, is that only an option on the Dynamic and above, or a feature of the new sport in general?

Post #469408 Tue Aug 04 2015 11:10am
Renaco

Germany 

torque vectoring is always ready to be "on" but mostly not in use, means "off".
Driving a RRS so quick in corners to feel the difference to the ones without needs a brave driver... Wink

For the Hybrid it is standard, for the other versions it is available from the SDV6 engines upwards on request, and for all V8s it is again standard.
But LR changes every year a lot, so maybe this information is already history... Wink

Post #470180 Wed Aug 12 2015 3:05pm
JSR2014

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Its quite a strange feeling when you feel it working (Torque Vectoring).

Something has changed in my dynamic mode, steering is now almost prohibitively heavy and the car seems to track all over the place (but this might be down to compensating for the heavy steering I guess).

Its down on power as well, off to the dealers it goes (again). 2014.5 Mariana Black 5.0 Supercharged V8 Autobiography

Post #470190 Wed Aug 12 2015 5:11pm
Keeno

United Kingdom 

interesting, sorry to resurrect an old post...my local dealer was very adamant that i wouldnt notice the difference, which is contrary to the opinion of friends and comments here. I suppose i need to test both back to back. Is it me or have i seen more brand new standard HSE's around recently? maybe the finance deals on low spec entry level cars are attracting people out of buying Disco's etc etc.. currently D4 HSE 2013 SDV6, 1986 911 3.2 Carrera..

Post #475752 Thu Oct 08 2015 3:07pm
malcolmw

United Kingdom 

I think there is a simpler explanation. The standard HSE corners light years better than the old model so upgraders who don't need the last bit of cornering performance think the standard car is fine. Most people will not need the Dynamic potential for the school run and as it costs, say, £5K then what is the point?

I shouldn't take the prevalence of Dynamic drivers posting on here as indicative of the whole population. People on here will inevitably be enthusiasts who will always specify the ATB with all the bells and whistles if they can.

I have a standard HSE SDV6 and it is fast enough and corners well enough for all reasonable situations. I test drove both types and on the road in normal traffic you could not tell the difference as the Dynamic features are not required to do anything. This was about 2 years ago and perhaps LR have weighted up the steering in Dynamic mode so that drivers CAN feel a difference now. Regards

Malcolm

Post #475757 Thu Oct 08 2015 3:37pm
JSR2014

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

I must admit, when I first took delivery of my 14.5 L494 I could not notice a difference in the steering weight whilst using Dynamic vs Regular.

The car went in for warranty work which eventually proved to be related to the dynamic mode and now the difference is night and day, it certainly leans less in dynamic and apparently the shocks react faster, however they claim that the suspension is not firmed up when in dynamic...I disagree with that, I also tend to use more petrol when in Dynamic as the throttle response is so much sharper...

I love it, it gives the car something special and if I were not to have it, I would lways be left wishing that I did. 2014.5 Mariana Black 5.0 Supercharged V8 Autobiography

Post #475758 Thu Oct 08 2015 3:55pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Switching to Dynamic Mode in RRS1 made a big difference in ride quality. In RRS2 I can notice the difference (probably because I am paying a lot of attention) but it is very slightly "less comfortable" in dynamic mode than in normal and still absorbs road imperfections brilliantly. Handling is undoubtedly improved in dynamic mode. I do agree that most people do not need that extra sharp cornering on a day to day basis. It will however truly demonstrate this capability when driving "properly" on twisty country and mountain roads. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #475761 Thu Oct 08 2015 4:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>