RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > can I safely disconnect my MAF sensor(s)?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Really, that would suggest the valve is not, in fact, open then. Confused

Obviously, if they are open under those conditions, they shouldn't be. Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #460251 Thu Apr 23 2015 3:33pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Are you misinterpreting my last post? The references to 30 and 90 are MPH not % EGR valve opening.

The EGR valves appear to open and close as normal except for the occasional inappropriate momentary close when cruising. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #460334 Fri Apr 24 2015 1:30pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

No, I was referring to the fact that the valves appear to sit at 56% (i.e. partly open) but yet you have no symptoms of this. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #460336 Fri Apr 24 2015 1:49pm
Paddi

LFW- Have you ever monitored live EGR values on a TDV8?

If yes - what did you see? 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #460360 Fri Apr 24 2015 6:04pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Afraid not. I would assume that they should all function in the same way - i.e. open at idle but should close once you apply throttle. They can't be intended to be open under load. Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #460399 Sat Apr 25 2015 9:36am
Paddi

Err... Did anyone say the EGRs are open under load - I certainly didn't.

So far as I can determine from reading about EGR function it is not binary. Perhaps some early versions functioned that way but the TDV8 appears to have the latest and most sophisticated design whereby the operation of the valves is entirely under electronic control of the ECM.

It is normal for EGRs to be partly open under cruising conditions, closed on WOT and close to fully open on a trailing throttle this is what the live values show.

What the live values actually indicate is I believes the 'commanded' EGR position I.e. not the 'actual' position necessarily. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #460503 Sun Apr 26 2015 2:49pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Err... Did anyone say the EGRs are open under load - I certainly didn't.

Well, it is under some load, but obviously it's a grey area in such, literary, terms.

Quote:
So far as I can determine from reading about EGR function it is not binary.

No, but, however controlled, it comes down to whether the circumstances are acceptable for the valve to be open so, in practice, it's sort of binary.

Quote:
What the live values actually indicate is I believes the 'commanded' EGR position I.e. not the 'actual' position necessarily.

The IID shows both the actual and commanded positions for the TDV6 so I would have assumed, if they were command positions that they would be labelled as such but, that may well be the case. Thumbs Up

Have you seen anything of significance in any other live values yet? Question

Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #460505 Sun Apr 26 2015 3:36pm
Paddi

ONE FOR THE NERDS Laughing

Well........

Had a go at logging data with the new IIDBT version yesterday. The manual is shall we say not 'comprehensive' when it comes to describing how it all works but think I've muddled through it more or less.

Went for little meander around some local A and B roads and logged:

Torque Converter status
    EGR valve 1 position
    Intercooler outlet temperature
    Gearbox coolant temp
    Engine coolant temp.

Having to use the iPhone since it turns out my Nexus 7 ain't compatible with the App Rolling Eyes

Looking at the log on an iPhone is not very easy so..

Exported the log as a pdf by emailing it to myself and then used a 'proper' laptop to view the pdf. (tablets have their place but also their limitations).

The results are in my gallery in the album named 'IIDToolBT data logs' in case anyone's interested.

The link is here: http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...31_Log.pdf

Note that to see the data clearly it is necessary to zoom in on the pdf quite a lot and then scroll left and right. The top graph shows all the values overlaid on one another vs time in seconds whilst the graphs below are the individual values vs time.

The log clearly shows the warm up mode with the TC unlocked until 235 seconds in. After that the TC and EGR certainly show lots of action. Not sure I can see the jolt occurring because of all the changing values as the car slows down, speeds up, changes gear etc etc. There might be something funny going on at 462 seconds but I'm not sure.

To show the problem I'm experiencing this sort of journey is probably useless so I'm going to have to get going at steady speed on a motorway and then hit the 'record' button and start a stopwatch and stop it at the exact time the 'jolt' occurs.

Also will probably have to repeat with different live values to try and catch the ones that coincide with the jolt.

Any suggestions for a better strategy very welcome Bow down

On the whole though - fantastic piece of kit. For anyone thinking of taking the plunge I'd say getting the Bluetooth version is the best way to go if you are interested in live values. Thumbs Up 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #461232 Tue May 05 2015 5:37pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

The EGRs and TC are certainly very active there aren't they - and they do seem to correlate, in parts.

Quote:
hit the 'record' button and start a stopwatch and stop it at the exact time the 'jolt' occurs.

This is just the sort of thing I was wondering about the other day - Perhaps a button could be built in to the app as a sort of live value for this purpose? Idea

Quote:
On the whole though - fantastic piece of kit. For anyone thinking of taking the plunge I'd say getting the Bluetooth version is the best way to go if you are interested in live values.

And even more improvements coming soon including the ability to set live value and CCF presets Wink Smile Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #461236 Tue May 05 2015 6:18pm
Paddi

OK so had a go yesterday at some advanced data logging:

Set up the IID Tool with the live values and then got onto the M25 when cruising at a steady speed hit the 'record' button and waited for the jolt to occur. When it jolted I stopped the recording a few seconds later. The resulting log is linked below. The log very clearly shows the TC unlocking suddenly and then locking again all in a second or two.

I don't think the other values show the reason for the TC unlocking inappropriately so I'll! need to try some other live values perhaps gearbox voltage, gearbox oil pressure etc to see if it something going on in there. Alternatively or if nothing shows up I could log some more engine values.

The search goes on but it's good to have captured the TC misbehaving!

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...33_Log.pdf 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #461806 Tue May 12 2015 8:21pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Interesting that the two EGR traces aren't exactly synchronous. I'd have thought they'd be the same all the way through. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #461808 Tue May 12 2015 8:57pm
Paddi

Thanks for the input.

Are you looking at the right traces? The EGR recording for valves 1 and 2 are the red and blue ones. Maybe you spotted something I missed but they look identical to me.

What has surprised me is that the log shows the EGR valves to be almost constantly changing. Don't know if this is normal because no-one can show me a comparative log yet.
My suspicion is that something is causing the TC to unlock and the EGR valves are just reacting to that but obviously can't be sure. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #461814 Tue May 12 2015 10:16pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The red EGR trace seems to be slightly more "active" than the blue one, certainly it shows peaks in places that the blue one is flatter - admittedly these are 1 second differences so maybe that is within tolerances as it's usually within 5% of the blue one. One particular moment of interest is at 423s. They both close but the red one blips back open to 35% momentarily. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #461815 Tue May 12 2015 11:14pm
Robbie

Location: Waiting for my old avatar to be allowed back... we miss her!

United Kingdom 

Interesting graphs and I will look for the same 'feature'.

Also impressed that you were doing 65,000 mph or more.

As the TC mode changes with CC engaged it would be worth monitoring the cruise control mode, just in case that is providing a momentary input to the ECM. Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

How To - Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Free Fault Code Reading For Established Members:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR

Post #461819 Wed May 13 2015 9:21am
Paddi

Thanks for the comments gents. I was hoping Robbie might pick up on this thread!

I have found that 65,000 mph is a good cruising speed as the unmarked police cars on the M25 are easily outrun.

As for using the ACC I've experimented with it and found the jolt occurs just the same despite the allegedly different TC and gearbox mapping. Also tried sport mode and again the jolt still occurs.

I noted however that the GAP IID manual warns against using CC whilst data logging.

Going back to the log of the EGRs I'd very much like to see a log from another TDV8 as the values do seem a bit odd in that they change a lot more than one might expect even on a steady throttle. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #461820 Wed May 13 2015 10:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>