RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Arggh! Tow bar electrics on MY12
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

kryten22uk

Arggh! Tow bar electrics on MY12

So I just spent the last hour running through the useful "How To" post on fitting the tow bar electrics:
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic29704....6377e0903b

I fitted the sockets, threaded the cable, removed the light, removed the interior panels, and ... WTF... totally different setup inside. Sad The MY12 clearly has different wiring loom. No green and grey sockets clipped to the chassis. There were clearly the MY12 equivalents (yellow, purple and black sockets), but they were tightly bundled to a thick wiring loom which ran front to back, and the sockets were near rear seats not near the rear lights.

There was only about 3" of free flex on the sockets before they merged into the wiring loom. This loom was twisted along its length and tightly bound with tape and material. I cut some of the tape to see if the sockets would just come free, but it was puzzling as some of the wires were directed following the loom down towards the lights and some followed the loom back towards the rear seats! I decided that I wasnt going to cut away the entire loom and try to unbundle it, so admitted defeat. Big Cry

What makes it worse was that I couldnt just go to the dealers to get them to finish the job, as the towbar electrics wiring that I'd just fitted was trailing on the floor. So I had to undo everything I had just done. So close yet so far. Banging Head

Anyone got any photos or advice for how to work with the wiring loom on MY12? Might be worth updating the How To thread to warn future DIYers.

Post #459196 Tue Apr 14 2015 9:11pm
kryten22uk

So I took some photos with the hope that from looking at it some of you may be able to work out what I need to do.

This first photo below shows the wiring loom along the left hand side of the boot. Notice how the 3 sockets are extending from the loom quite far up the car.
[URL=]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

This next photo zooms in on the three sockets
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Now zooming right in where the three sockets emerge from the wiring loom. What is puzzling is that the yellow wires are joined by some little plastic grey cylinders that I'm holding. Half of the yellow wires out of that cylinder go up the loom and half go down the loom. So this prevents me from pulling those 3 sockets away from the loom down towards the rear light cluster. Not only the yellows, but you can also see in this pic that the big thick red wire at the top of the loom comes up from the bottom, up into the sockets, and then back down in the background and onwards up the loom. Again meaning that I couldnt pull the sockets away from the loom.
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Finally, just for info, here is a pic of the silver box where the "How To" guide says that the 3 green sockets should be clipped. Notice the Jaguar branding! Very lazy.
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Thanks for reading and hopefully some might have an idea about how I separate the 3 sockets from the main loom in order to bring them down to the lights. :|

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #459583 Fri Apr 17 2015 9:41pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

I've just been doing some searching and it looks like your problem is that you need the full "Towing Kit". Rolling Eyes

Here are the "Towing Kits"...

12N+S https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/c...oupId=1671

13-pin https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/c...oupId=1671

and the "Towbar Electrics"...

12N+S https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/c...oupId=1671

13-pin https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/c...oupId=1671

Does that seem right now?

Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #459615 Sat Apr 18 2015 8:43am
kryten22uk

Doh, so it does seem like I need the "kit"!

However the problem still seems to be in the setup of the wiring loom. The pictures in that Topix download show the setup where the 3 sockets of the wiring kit connect to the 3 sockets of the cars loom, at a position right next to the rear light. See pics 10, 25, 26. This is what I was expecting as its as shown in the HowTo guide in this forum. The wiring kit seems to be set up for this as the 3 sockets on the kit (pic25) are set right next to the circular seal. However in my car, as per the photos above, the 3 sockets are much further away from the rear lights and hence it would seem that there wouldn't be enough length in the wires of the kit and the car loom for the 3 sockets to meet each other to connect.

Hope that makes sense?

Post #459627 Sat Apr 18 2015 10:29am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

That looks to me to be the main difference with the kits? They have an extra piece of loom at bracket that connects in between the two. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #459629 Sat Apr 18 2015 10:32am
kryten22uk

Thanks again.
I see the extra piece of loom, but that is designed to take the wire only just past the rear light to click onto sockets fixed to a bracket right there, but my car doesnt have that bracket-loom setup, so the new wire wont reach the position of my sockets.
Couple of annotated pics to get my point across.

[URL=]

[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #459650 Sat Apr 18 2015 1:33pm
kryten22uk

Unfortunately I've had no choice to book it in to the dealers to get it done. £300+! What a downer. Should have been such an easy money saver DIY too.

Post #459839 Mon Apr 20 2015 11:13am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

it will be interesting what it looks like after theyve done it as it looks like the wiring loom is messed up or a chunk missing..... Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #459867 Mon Apr 20 2015 2:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndyKay

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I'm fitting this kit over the weekend. Does it need to go to a dealer for some sort of software upgrade? RRS HSE TDV6 Autobiography

Post #460241 Thu Apr 23 2015 1:02pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Andy, no, yours will work without enabling them. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #460250 Thu Apr 23 2015 3:30pm
AndyKay

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Great! Thanks Thumbs Up RRS HSE TDV6 Autobiography

Post #460252 Thu Apr 23 2015 3:40pm
kryten22uk

Bodsy wrote:
it will be interesting what it looks like after theyve done it as it looks like the wiring loom is messed up or a chunk missing.....

Well I had the elecs fitted at the main dealer today, and am now £350 poorer.

I'm stumped for what they did, because when I opened up the car, those 3 sockets are still there untouched. I looked all around and couldn't see a single thing that was different. The only thing that I think is different (although I cant remember for sure) is a single black wire going vertically down through the chassis (identified to the right of the red line I drew on the photo below).

Oh well. Its done now. Got the usual atrocious service at Harwoods Tonbridge. Rolling Eyes

Also, how do I check whether they "activated" the electrics? I was expecting to see some new button under the "Extra Features" on the centre console screen. I havent got around to fitting the bike rack to see if it beeps.

Post #460792 Wed Apr 29 2015 9:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1