RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > Loss of power when pulling off when engine is cold.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Williamsboy

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red
Loss of power when pulling off when engine is cold.

Hi this has happened to me twice today, once this morning on my way to work and then on my way home from work 6hours later.
Basically having driven about half a mile then pulling out of a junction I experience a loss of power and no throttle for about 10 seconds or more, then it seems to clear itself. I have engine fault message display and then special programme turned off comes up on the info screen but no engine management light. Any help great fully received.
It is a 2005 RRS HSE 2.7td6.
Exclamation
Many thanks
Happy new year

Post #446880 Wed Dec 31 2014 1:51pm
tanloverluke

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

these engines are pretty abysmal in the cold. give her time to warm up in this weather, and avoid regular short journeys. if you can't avoid them then keep battery on trickle charge.
and make sure she's well serviced Thumbs Up Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.
DONE: Meduza front bumper, AB rear bumper, AB tailpipes, calipers repainted, rear upper tailgate upgrade, side steps, AB front grille, AB side vents, rear LED lights, clear side repeaters, integrated daytime running lights, LED headlights.
TO DO: color code sills and pillars.

Post #446881 Wed Dec 31 2014 1:58pm
Williamsboy

Thanks tanloverluke , will try and leave her tick over for a bit longer in the mornings.

Post #446885 Wed Dec 31 2014 2:10pm
Stuart

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Is it accompanied by clouds of black smoke when power resumes?

Post #446896 Wed Dec 31 2014 3:21pm
Tony666

2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

Maybe EGR valves sticking or Turbo pipe split? Lots of info on this forum regarding both.....

Post #446897 Wed Dec 31 2014 3:32pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Possibly battery. The throttle is electronic as is the throttle body. The loss of special programmes is one of the symptoms of electrical issues usually indicating bad battery or alternator.

As for leaving it ticking over before pulling away, that won't do much to warm up the engine sadly, unless you're going to leave it 10-15 minutes so that the FBH can put a bit of heat into the system.

You need to get the fault code out so you can pin point what is causing the issue. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #446948 Wed Dec 31 2014 10:12pm
FatJoe

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HST Java Black

Its been pretty cold lately, give it 5 minutes to warm up before blasting off and I'd imagine it would be fine. If you haven't had EGR's blanked, do that too first as this may help.

Post #446975 Thu Jan 01 2015 2:14am
Williamsboy

Thanks everyone for your replies, already had new turbo pipe fitted before I purchased RRS in December. Battery looks new too, no fault codes in memory. I did not notice if I had a lot of black smoke from exhaust the second time it happened, to busy trying pull into inside lane of a busy dual carriage way. I will look into the egr valves when I get a chance. RRS going back to dealer soon to have parking sensors replaced, will have them put their diagnostic tool onto RRS to check for codes.

Many thanks
Mike

Post #446990 Thu Jan 01 2015 10:47am
Williamsboy

Hi all had this happen again today but no message saying esf, would not accelerate very sluggish and eventualy when it did pick up speed and revs when i floored the thottle huge plumes of black smoke. think i blocked the sun out for ten mins in local village, i know i choked a few mums on the school run. I think i need to get EGR Valves blanked off as a first priority. NO fault codes on system. Thanks guys for all your suggestions.

Post #449330 Wed Jan 21 2015 10:09pm
FatJoe

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HST Java Black

How long do you let the car warm up for before driving off? Do you get in, start it and floor it straight away? I'm not Fat. RRS TDV6 HST.

Post #449331 Wed Jan 21 2015 10:20pm
Williamsboy

hi Joe, No she was already warmed up, i had driven home from work approx 6 miles and was up to normal operating temperature. shut her off for 2o mins before going upto the school to pick up my daughter still at operating temp etc, set off from school found her to be sluggish and slow to accelerate but was in start stop traffic.
dropped off daughters friend and she was still sluggish and slow to respond so i floored the throttle there was a hesitation of a few seconds then whoosh. Away we went and a huge plume of black smoke from the rear end, much to the disgust of a few mums pushing prams etc and the post office van behind me. stopped at junction and still sluggish to pull out, gotonto a straight bit of road with no one around and floored her again with another huge plume of black smoke from exhaust, and has been fine since. took my eldest daughter to work then with no problems running like a dream, quick to accelerate and bags of power. I think the EGR valves need to be blanked and will also go for a new fuel filter, Garage said that they gave her a full service prior to purchasing with all filters being renewed.

Post #449340 Wed Jan 21 2015 11:27pm
Nav01

United Kingdom 

When was it last serviced? I have been told that if you leave these parked up for too long the oil degrades, when the power delivery is not smooth but a whoosh come on all of a sudden, it the air filter and turbo's reacting etc.

Post #449342 Wed Jan 21 2015 11:41pm
Williamsboy

Hi Nav01 it was supposedly serviced in December last year by the garage that I bought it from. They have done all the brake pads and also they say that they changed the intercooler pipe. I will order an egr valve blank kit from the company that advertises on the forum. When I bought the rrs they said that all the filters had been changed and a service had been done recently. They had the rrs for a few months and had been using to go back and forth from the auctions etc in London. I will pop the air filter housing open and check its condition, that will give me an indication of whether or not a service was carried out.

Post #449348 Thu Jan 22 2015 1:05am
Williamsboy

Hi Nav01 it was supposedly serviced in December last year by the garage that I bought it from. They have done all the brake pads and also they say that they changed the intercooler pipe. I will order an egr valve blank kit from the company that advertises on the forum. When I bought the rrs they said that all the filters had been changed and a service had been done recently. They had the rrs for a few months and had been using to go back and forth from the auctions etc in London. I will pop the air filter housing open and check its condition, that will give me an indication of whether or not a service was carried out.

Post #449349 Thu Jan 22 2015 1:06am
Nav01

United Kingdom 

Hmm EGR, £60 diagnostic would show if they are faulty frrom main dealer, I used buy cars from BCA auction' s around the south east they usually transport via larger trailer trucks. With 4x4's they stock them until November then let them go, as that's when they go for higher prices. They sit for months in compounds. I know somebody who bought one a few months ago same problem as yours service indicator came of 8k miles dealer told them that the oil had degraded. After a full service it was fine. That's why I bought mine from an main dealer, we these things there is a certain element of luck I believe.

Post #449350 Thu Jan 22 2015 1:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>