RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Brake Judder
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tony666

2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey
Brake Judder

Have a problem with my 2005 TDV6. I've noticed recently that I get brake judder from the front of the car, especially noticeable with light to moderate breaking at 50 - 70 mph. The discs and pads were replaced only about 15 months ago (15,000 miles) with Pagid parts. On inspection I found that whilst the nearside looked OK, the Offfside pads were worn almost completely, though the disc itself didn't seem too bad.

I'm thinking I need to replace the discs/pads, but don't want the same issue reappearing, and have a couple of questions...

What sort of life should I expect from the Discs/Pads (driven quite gently generally)?
Can I replace the Disc and pads on one side or should both sides be replaced together?
Any ideas on why one side has worn prematurely?
Would getting the discs 'skimmed' be a good option?

Help/advice appreciated....

Post #453393 Sun Feb 22 2015 3:21pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

One side worn is probably a sticky caliper. Wear on the disk for front is 30mm new and 27mm needs replacement. Would always replace pads in axle sets. Thumbs Up Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #453398 Sun Feb 22 2015 3:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tony666

Cheers Bodsy, I'm happy to replace both sets of pads, (I believe they usually come as an axle set anyway), but what about the discs....if there is still plenty of life on one side but the other not so could I replace just 1? Probably about £40 saving so not a lot, but if it doesn't need it.....

Post #453400 Sun Feb 22 2015 4:01pm
martyn05

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey

I personally would change both the discs, then I know that everything required to bring my 2.5 ton beast to a sudden stop when I need it to, is all working and in good order.

I had all 4 discs and pads done about 6 months ago. 2006 RRS SC Bonatti Grey (the 55th car/van I have owned)
2005 GSX 1400 K5

Post #453405 Sun Feb 22 2015 4:45pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

This might seem an obvious comment but don't forget to investigate and fix the sticky caliper. At least strip and clean the sticky one and preferably both sides. If there is an overhaul kit available change the seals and pistons.

Sticky caliper pistons often occur when an older vehicle with a low mileage has the discs and pads replaced. A contributory factor can be brake fluid that hasn't been changed for a long time; in these circumstances a little dirt and water has found its way into the fluid at the caliper end causing corrosion in the bores. So a brake fluid change would be a good idea to avoid a repeat occurrence. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #453412 Sun Feb 22 2015 6:09pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Personally I'd be changing both if you think one is worn more than the other.

I would definitely be looking at getting a refurb brake caliper (advanced factors do them at a good price). You'll probably find that one is easier to push back than the other side. Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #453416 Sun Feb 22 2015 6:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tony666

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll look into the caliper, and maybe replace the break fluid...

Post #453453 Sun Feb 22 2015 11:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1