RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > Will not start! HDC FAULT, TRANSMISSION FAULT on dash
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

ed68

England 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Java Black

I just tried it again and the transmission fault returned on the dash along with a parking brake sensor error, any more thoughts and suggestions are really appreciated

thanks

Post #452640 Sun Feb 15 2015 8:38pm
Robbie

Location: Waiting for my old avatar to be allowed back... we miss her!

United Kingdom 

Any chance the brake pedal moved when fitting the brake switch?

Have you tried starting in neutral rather than park?

Beyond this you probably need access to diagnostic kit, perhaps Geoff as he is not too far away. Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

How To - Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Free Fault Code Reading For Established Members:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR

Post #452643 Sun Feb 15 2015 8:56pm
FatJoe

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HST Java Black

Fuel pump belt is right at back of engine bay between engine and bulk head. Right bastard to reach. That may not be it but if the belts snapped then obvs no fuel Sad I'm not Fat. RRS TDV6 HST.

Post #452645 Sun Feb 15 2015 9:18pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

ed68 wrote:
hi, it is 100k miles on a 2005 and can't find any history of this belt being changed, where is the fuel pump located please and I will take a look?
thanks

Oh dear Shocked

I think you need to get someone to look at the car, even plug it in and check for any fault codes.

It may be something simple, such as a loose wiring connection someplace, up to a broken cambelt...

Post #452654 Sun Feb 15 2015 10:46pm
ed68

thanks for the replies everyone

Robbie I just tried starting in neutral and no difference, it just keeps turning over. I haven't fitted the brake switch yet, I've ordered it though. I'm not holding out much hope in the switch rectifying the starting issue but perhaps it's linked to the hdc and transmission faults. It's a cheap item and easy change so it's worth a shot

Yes I'd love to get it on a diagnostic machine, a mobile mechanic with the software or a friendly local rrs owner would be ideal really but I can't seem to find the correct help away from the main dealer, a tow to the main dealer is going to be costly and I'd be worried what their bill is going to be! As mentioned before the purchase of the diagnosis machine may be on the cards....

Joe I guess I need to remove engine covers to check the fuel pump belt? I couldn't see anything as it is. Is it easier to look for this from underneath?

Is there any way to check if fuel is coming through? How about the fuel rail & schrader valve, I've read this could be the place? If so can someone tell me where to find this valve please and how to do the check?

My car is a petrol 4.4 v8 2005

On a positive note I'm really pleased I've found a good and friendly forum Smile

Post #452713 Mon Feb 16 2015 5:47pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

It looks as if not everyone offering advice has noticed your model is the 4,4V8 petrol.

You do not have a cam belt or a fuel pump belt.

The camshafts are chain driven and there is only one fuel pump which is electric and situated inside the fuel tank.

As you don't have diagnostics yet why not go 'old school' and check for sparks and check for fuel?

According to the manual there is a fuel rail for each bank of cylinders and they are connected by a cross over pipe. It looks as if the Schrader test valve is on the rear end of the RH fuel rail.

The standard method for checking a fuel pump is to lie on the ground as near as you can get to the fuel tank then get someone to switch on the ignition and you listen for the sound of the pump running. Don't know if this would work for your vehicle - where are all the petrol engine experts? Rolling with laughter PEACHY!!!! 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #452733 Mon Feb 16 2015 6:50pm
FatJoe

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HST Java Black

Yep I presume (for no aparent reason) that your motor was a Diesel engine. Apologies. Sad I'm not Fat. RRS TDV6 HST.

Post #452755 Mon Feb 16 2015 8:43pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

As did I Embarassed

Post #452782 Tue Feb 17 2015 7:55am
ed68

Thanks for bringing that up Paddi, yes it's petrol i'm afraid everyone

Still no sign of the brake switch I ordered, once that arrives I'll fit and see if anything changes

I'm going to call a breakdown service out and see if they can shed any light on things....

Does anyone know any good mobile mechanics in SE London/Kent? Preferably with some Range Rover experience

thanks

Post #452884 Wed Feb 18 2015 12:29pm
Philwil

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 S Zermatt Silver

Hi, interested to read your story, I have similar problem and mine won't start either!
My issue started with the "HDC TRANSMISSION FAULT" warning followed by all dashboard lights plunging into total darkness, then my main beam came on followed by left indicator... All whilst I was still driving with reduced power!
I did manage to limp home and turned off the ignition. Now it will not start! All dashboard warning lights come on, including red airbag warning light, the engine just clicks but does not turn over!
It was raining heavily on route home so, following advice on here (thank you all) I'm aiming to check battery connections and look for areas of dampness which may have effected connections.
What's your latest news PADDI? Have you fitted the new brake light switch yet? Did that work?

Post #454174 Sat Feb 28 2015 8:21pm
Philwil

#What's your latest news PADDI?# apologies I meant to ask ed68 Rolling Eyes

Post #454175 Sat Feb 28 2015 8:25pm
ed68

ok so it turned out to be a petrol pump problem why it was not starting, it seems the warning messages on the dash were not related at all, just a coincidence it happened all at the same day

I still have the warning messages but the car now drives fine thankfully Smile

Thanks for all your pointers everyone, especially Paddi, cheers!

Post #454220 Sun Mar 01 2015 11:58am
Philwil

Thumbs Up good news and bad!
Good news following my post yesterday and having read some of the problems and info posted here by others, I decided to put my battery on charge (accused of being drained!) Left on charge over night for apx 14 hours. Low and behold she fired up instantly and all displayed faults / errors and warning lights cleared, one by one, the suspension pumped up and off I went for a 10 mile test and top-up drive without any issues.
I did notice the "trip counter" and the "miles per gallon" had zero'd themselves but the "miles per gallon" soon returned to 24MPG which is what it ready before hand!
So the bad news (maybe not so bad) is I'm guessing I need a new battery? What would you guys recommend? Has anyone tried these "AGM" batteries which are more expensive but the write-up states better all-rounder and they are guaranteed for 5 years Very Happy
Thanks for all your posts, hope my info above is of some use to someone!?

Post #454254 Sun Mar 01 2015 4:37pm
mnk

United Kingdom 

I also had error messages on dash, called LR and booked car in. Was told the battery is low and they charged it overnight. Now no errors and it starts much faster.

Post #454495 Tue Mar 03 2015 1:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12