RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > In Car Head unit replacement issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 12 <123 ... 9 101112>

Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Hey Hoppy

Can you do a pic from a bit further back incorporating the OE satnav & all the console please?

Thanks!

Post #501112 Mon Jul 18 2016 1:42pm
hoppy89

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

there you go mate Thumbs Up

Post #501236 Tue Jul 19 2016 7:54pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Can you take a picture a bit closer please?

Only joking Rolling with laughter

Post #501239 Tue Jul 19 2016 8:17pm
Pufftmw

hoppy89 wrote:

there you go mate Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up

Many thanks, looks good & just the right trim/colour as mine too.

Think I'll be getting one now.

Thanks again

PS - Ignore the haters...

Post #501253 Wed Jul 20 2016 6:17am
Olly-ibiza

hoppy89 wrote:
does everything I want it to do,(its head & shoulders above the oem unit) new mic is fitted behind mirror,
to be honest the guy that fitted it done a top job..you cant see the antenna or the mic unless you really look for them,
the only draw back is I cant alter the clock on the dash, but the new unit has a clock display.... Thumbs Up

Had the same issue with mine and it's an easy fix, take your battery wire off and on at midnight and the clock is set spiteful Range Rover Sport tdv8

Post #501257 Wed Jul 20 2016 7:27am
hoppy89

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

cheers olly, I can reset it with the iid tool, but by midnight I'm usually as snug as a bug in a rug...zzzzzz

(haters love to hate) sad really but there you go.. Smile

Post #501297 Wed Jul 20 2016 6:39pm
Olly-ibiza

Royrw wrote:
I had the standard head unit with Bluetooth for phone connection only, the AUX wires had not been connected to the back of the unit's harness so it had to go but not sure weather I can get the old screen up & running with coupling the fibre optics together ?? & does anyone know where I can get a picture of the back of the screen to see what the inputs are ??

You need to split your old radio in half and stick it in the dash to keep the top screen working, it's not a hard job. Well worth it as the top screen has all the 4x4 and suspension info spiteful Range Rover Sport tdv8

Post #501301 Wed Jul 20 2016 7:04pm
Pufftmw

So, got all the bits now, job for next week when I'm in Ireland and its bound to be raining... Luckily I have a garage there Smile

Alpine Receiver
Incartec DoubleDin Chasis Kit
Tailgate Reversing Camera

TBH, more worried about the camera install than the rest of it as the kit seems simple enough. Alpine allows for an Aux Cam, so I'm going to get an 3.5mm jack adaptor for my Dashcam, so I can use it to see what I'm towing.

Reversing Cam comes with red/black cable near the camera, one of which goes to earth, the other to reversing light. There's another red at the other (HU) end, I take it that goes to ignition (12v socket) feed?

There's also 2 little green wires near the camera - what are they for?

There's also a reversing feed wire on the Alpine - does that also go to the reversing light +ve or is there a better place to put it?

In the Incartec kit, there's 2 pink wires that are for the sub-woofer. From this I take it that you have to get a separate amp to power the sub-woofer in the boot? TBH I didn't know there was one there!

Post #501357 Thu Jul 21 2016 10:31am
Pufftmw

New HU is part fitted - its working OK, just need to do some more bits:

Fit reversing cam
Connect up dashcam
Over-ride parking brake sensor
Install Mic
Work out why steering wheel controls don't work.
Finish install bits

As above, I bought Incartec's RRS kit, including chassis but there are a load of bits missing off of the instructions. I did ring up, so hopefully they are amending them.
1. Instructions weren't clear that both the spare (smaller) OE wiring plug need to go back into the "edited" OE head unit.
2. Only the black plug in the 29-712 kit needs to go to the new HU (has the red/yellow power wires).
3. The brown from the Amp bypass goes to the new HU
4. At the other end, only the green needs to be removed from the AMP and connected to the Amp bypass (so that is only 2 of the 4 plugs provided in the Amp bypass 20-308 and no need for an ignition feed

The other thing I will be addressing tomorrow is the fact that the Incartec fascia probably has about 2mm extra depth at the bottom on each side. This means it doesn't quite fit as well as the OE unit. It needs a little bit of judicious filing just to sit right.

I used the green/white wire that goes to the front cigarette lighter socket as an ignition feed. It is accessible from under the cup holders in the centre console - there is an inspection hole for some reason. Its a bit fiddly but doable.

I'll be getting a small amp at some stage to drive the sub in the rear door

When I powered up the new HU, I couldn't access the settings menu. A bit of google informed me that this was a safety feature (?!) and you could only do it when the parking brake was applied. WTF?! More googling suggested that I purchase a Bypass doo-hickey from eBay but further research found that all you actually need to do is to wire the Park Brake sensor wire to the chassis of the new HU - a simple fix that also allows those of you with TV/DVD HUs the ability to play them on the move. I checked this by just holding the wire against the chassis and hey presto, access granted.

I'm sure there's some more things I need to write about but so far its been relatively simple for a n00b like me to do. The Incartec kit is good and appears to work as intended, just need to update the instructions a bit. As usual, the worst bit is routing wires around the cabin tidily. Even the OE SatNav works Smile

Post #501742 Tue Jul 26 2016 10:13pm
Andy K

How do you get to the wires at the amp ?

Do you need to unbolt the amp ?

Post #501768 Wed Jul 27 2016 2:08pm
Pufftmw

Its only the green plug that needs to come out for the bypass and I guess it would be possible to do it without loosening the amp but I chose to unbolt (8mm socket) the 2 retaining bolts either side, which allowed the amp to rise about 15mm, which in turn was enough room to get the plug out.

Post #501786 Wed Jul 27 2016 9:46pm
Pufftmw

Small update...

Earthed the parking sensor to HU chassis, so now have access to all settings (which are not many on an ILX-700!) & video feeds whilst moving.

Fitted a 3.5mm phono extension to the Aux In so that I can connect a phone lead to my Dashcam - all connected and working on Aux now.

Worked out I had put the wiring for the steering controls upside down, so fixed that Rolling Eyes

Finished installing the HU surround and chassis, had to file a bit off the bottom of the surround and a bit off the console sides to get it to fit properly, but now it does. There is quite a gap between the heater controls and the new surround, just right for the USB extension socket to come out from.

Everything working as it should and much better sound quality even without the sub. Looks tidier overall as well.

Last thing to do is the Reversing Camera. Took the tailgate to pieces and crikey is it mucky and rusty in there. Fitted the reversing camera OK but I don't like the idea of having both the camera feed and the power wires running back around the edge. Added to that, the power wires aren't massively long, so would have to tap off of them at the roof anyway. Have asked Incartec to see if they can create an extension lead on the thin black wire, so that the power comes off about 2m later than it does. Will let you know what they come up with as that will make for a tidier/easier install.

Anyone able to identify the wire for the reversing light please? Or is it simple enough to find?

Post #501848 Fri Jul 29 2016 2:10pm
Andy K

For reversing light feed, I would run the wire down from the roof to the passenger side, and connect to the towbar plugs in the left side of the boot.

It's a green wire with brown stripe.

Post #501849 Fri Jul 29 2016 3:17pm
Pufftmw

Hi Andy

Did the rest of the install today and used the Dark Green/Brown wire as suggested. Only thing is that Camera is on all the time using that feed?

I don't mind too much but it doesn't come on with Reverse and I have to select Rev Camera on my HU to see it. I've tried "switching" but then that doesn't interrupt whats on the screen either! If I have to select Rev Camera on my HU (Alpine ILX700) when using the camera over it automatically showing when reverse is selected, I'll leave it live all the time. Good picture though Smile

Post #504002 Mon Aug 29 2016 5:05pm
Andy K

Sorry I can't really help as I'm not familiar with the headunit.

So you are able to get a picture when in Park ?

Post #504015 Mon Aug 29 2016 6:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 10 of 12 <123 ... 9 101112>