RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Buying first range rover - advice needed :)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

zacattack1845

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Cairns Blue
Buying first range rover - advice needed :)

Hello all, Im new to the forum so please be nice!

Before anyway says I have also taken the time to read & search through the forum & looked at any buyers guides etc.

This will be my first RRS & I'm going from at bmw 320. I have a (rather lacklustre!) budget of around £15k & am not sure which model to go for. I currently do between 6-10k miles per year.

I seem to be going in circles between the 2.7 & 4.2 sc & generally confused what the 4.4 is for? What are the pros/cons of these engines & what is the real world MPG like - on the SC I have seen forum members say 11-12 mpg around town is common. That kind of fuel consumption does concern me vs say around 19/20mpg (as that is around a 50% increase in fuel compared to my current mpg).

Also are aftermarket warranties really worthwhile? Almost everyone I know says they aren't worth the paper they are written on but on these troublesome cars is it an advisable thing to budget for?

Sorry for so many questions! Very Happy

Post #432220 Sun Aug 03 2014 9:43am
BKHK

Australia 

Zacco

I would go for the 2.7 if you are in[b] any way[/b] concerned about fuel consumption. If you can afford to fill it up and not even notice the cash, then the SC. The 4.4 is not that common (certainly almost none here).

Stebenny had a nice 2.7 for sale for your budget but it says no longer for sale on his post, I think he was going to put it on fleabay.

Not sure about warranty in Blighty, but it would be sensible to look into it or have some cash up your sleeve in case anything happens. These are not economy cars, not always totally reliable ,but most of the issues are well known now. They can be a bit heavy on consumables because they are a 2.5 tonne car so they like fuel and brakes!

Good luck, there will be others along soon who know lots more than me, I've not had an RRS in a while.

Post #432231 Sun Aug 03 2014 11:01am
zacattack1845

Im becoming more convinced by going for the supercharged as my mileage currently is around 400 miles per month.

I have looked over the forum but what is the real life mpg on this - 10 to 15 around town?

I will test drive a 2.7 diesel in the next few days but Im guessing this is going to be real underpowered?

The current vehicle Im looking at is a 4.2 supercharged (2006), mileage is around 94k and the price is £15k (including a years warranty). This seems to be at the highest end of the scale but it does have new tyres, disks, pads, alloys, the condition is the best I have ever come across for one of this age on my search. Am I crazy to spend this much on a car of this mileage or is it worth it if the example is that good?

Thanks in advance.

Post #433985 Fri Aug 22 2014 9:35pm
Bungleaio

2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Buckingham Blue

I only really use mine for pouncing about and going to tesco and I get an average of 13mpg. It could get more but it makes such a great noise that it's hard not to tickle the throttle a little more than I should. The 4.4 engine offers pretty much the same economy but less power so it's quite rare, hence why they dropped it from the line up after a couple of years.

£15-17k seems to be about the going rate for good quality early cars. Engines seem to be strong but the suspension can wear due to the weight of the car, everything is replaceable though.

Personally I've not got a warranty, I've just got a contingency fund incase something goes wrong. They way I see it 12 months warranty is about £800 and there will be an excess so basically something more than £1000 needs to go wrong to be winning on the warranty costs. It's also a second car for me so if something major does go wrong I'll just park it up until I can afford to fix.

They are fantastic cars, I love mine.

Post #434017 Sat Aug 23 2014 12:58pm
PEACHY

England 

zacattack1845 wrote:
Im becoming more convinced by going for the supercharged as my mileage currently is around 400 miles per month.

The current vehicle Im looking at is a 4.2 supercharged (2006), mileage is around 94k and the price is £15k
Thanks in advance.

Any links to the Sport your looking at ? Real mileage 11 - 13mpg - had a 55 - 2005 for nearly 4 years - awesome - absolutely awesome Bow down 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #434019 Sat Aug 23 2014 1:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
zacattack1845

https://www.safwatcars.co.uk/stocklist/1/make/14800/ - the £14,990 one. whatcha think?

Post #434026 Sat Aug 23 2014 3:03pm
PEACHY

England 

Does look a tidy example - interior looks well kept & a warranty is a must - its had the front grill changed to a newer looking version & the side vents are Hawke. 22in alloys are after market which can give a bumpy ride - the first job is to remove the chrome mirror caps Laughing nice looking RRS Thumbs Up if its been serviced & is as good in the flesh as it is in the pics - definitely worth a serious look Very Happy

Good luck - love the colour Whistle 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.

Post #434029 Sat Aug 23 2014 3:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
myfirstrrs

United Kingdom 

Love the colour, but you need to check history, condition etc.

Post #434030 Sat Aug 23 2014 3:27pm
mad-dafty

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Beautiful looking car, great colour combo. 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 Autobiography - Stornoway Grey
2006 RRS TDV6 2.7 HSE -Java Black
2008 BMW 3 Series 2.l
2006 BMW 5 series 2.l

Post #434032 Sat Aug 23 2014 3:44pm
zacattack1845

PEACHY wrote:
Does look a tidy example - interior looks well kept & a warranty is a must - its had the front grill changed to a newer looking version & the side vents are Hawke. 22in alloys are after market which can give a bumpy ride - the first job is to remove the chrome mirror caps Laughing nice looking RRS Thumbs Up if its been serviced & is as good in the flesh as it is in the pics - definitely worth a serious look Very Happy

Good luck - love the colour Whistle

The condition really is as good as the photos - the interior seems unused. I for some reason think the mirror caps kind of work but usually hate them.

It has had 4 owners (2 fairly recently - maybe running costs too high?) First 5 services were LR with the following 2 indy, most recently was June but I think it was only oil service.

I have been considering possibly financing part of the purchase (whilst I sell my current car) & in the process they asked for the engine number - this is shown as 'not known' on both the V5 & hpi check. The car is shown as having a personalised plate from registration so could this be the reason or would this be cause for concern?

Thanks for you response Smile

Post #434033 Sat Aug 23 2014 3:59pm
zacattack1845

Would appreciate any input on the value of the car & engine number thing. Smile

Post #434122 Mon Aug 25 2014 9:23am
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Can't help with the value or engine number problem but you might find this a useful read when you inspect the car.
Good luck

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...uide~0.pdf 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #434168 Mon Aug 25 2014 6:17pm
PEACHY

England 

I have in the past & for forum members when purchasing - contacted previous owners - is this a possibility ? Cant help about the engine number Big Cry

Google " engine number not known " a very interesting read - some good some bad Shocked 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............

Post #434169 Mon Aug 25 2014 6:27pm
zacattack1845

Paddi wrote:
Can't help with the value or engine number problem but you might find this a useful read when you inspect the car.
Good luck

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...uide~0.pdf

Thanks - very useful Smile

Post #434284 Wed Aug 27 2014 7:19am
zacattack1845

PEACHY wrote:
I have in the past & for forum members when purchasing - contacted previous owners - is this a possibility ? Cant help about the engine number Big Cry

Google " engine number not known " a very interesting read - some good some bad Shocked

Hey & thanks for the response again. How you you go about doing this - from the log book?

I did have a google and its very inconclusive. The car was registered on a private plate initially so Im wondering if the information didn't get carried across correctly when it went to what was the original registration - that might not even be possible but thought it could be.

Keep going in circles on the purchase, really like the example but as well as a couple of these seemingly minor issues it does seen £1k overpriced - though this could just be to reflect the condition.

Last edited by zacattack1845 on Wed Aug 27 2014 7:25am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #434287 Wed Aug 27 2014 7:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>