RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Buying tyres online is not as stupid as I thought
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Jerry12

United Kingdom 
Buying tyres online is not as stupid as I thought

I enjoy saving a few pounds as much as the next person, but I did not think buying tyres online made sense. What was I going to do with four tyres delivered to my door? I did not have the equipment to put them on, balance the tyres, and then dispose of the old ones.

I was convinced by the time you bought tyres online, took them to a shop, and had them mounted, you would spend more pounds than if you just bought them at a local shop.

I was sitting in the office on lunch break, watching my cohort shopping for tyres, and told him my opinion. He asked how much I paid for my last set of tyres, what brand, what size, and then he turned his laptop around and showed me the price. I was mad. The price was 30% lower than what I paid, but then I blurted out my regular defense, “How much you gonna pay to have them mounted?”

He pointed at the screen again and showed me the price said “installed”. I was confused. Installed by who? He just kept pointing at the screen. The site, http://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/, claimed to have over 200 sites here in the UK for insalling the tyres.

I typed in my postcode and found out I could have the tires mounted about a kilometer from the office. Now I was really angry. I paid 30% more and drove more. My wife's car was due for a new set of tyres, so I punched in her car information and found the prices were about 20% lower than the best quote I had found so far. It was one of those “what the heck” moments.

I guess it is not so stupid to buy tyres online. Maybe it is people like me who resist change that are the stupid ones.

Post #418257 Tue Mar 18 2014 3:17pm
1JBS

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Orkney Grey

Hi Jerry just had a look online at your site and my Pirelli P Zero Tyres 255/50 R19 107Y are £271.50 on your site or £207.50 on http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/ which is a delivered fitted at your house price! This makes your lot look very expensive Shocked Thumbs Up

Post #418324 Tue Mar 18 2014 6:34pm
Peanut

United Kingdom 

I have used Blackcircles for many years without any problems - fitted by my local (3 miles) tyre fitter. I get cheap tyres, he gets an easy job and a cut of the profit.

Post #418328 Tue Mar 18 2014 6:50pm
Bradders

United Kingdom 

I use Event Tyres for the last set of Hankooks on my RRS. 25% less than I could find anywhere and fitted on the driveway at home. FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Post #418339 Tue Mar 18 2014 7:23pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

My local tyre place is cheaper than those websites and has a proper 4-wheel alignment rig. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #418345 Tue Mar 18 2014 7:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1