RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Different Dash Cams
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

harrygh60

England 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White
Different Dash Cams

I see there are a vast different prices on these dash cams. The first one i bought was £16 on ebay. I bought a 32GB memory chip £1. Mounted it on windscreen with supplied suction device. It needed setting up on the unit. But once set up it worked fine,Very clear recordings played back on PC. But you had to run through the whole recorded to find a particular part. My wife bought me a better Blacksys camera. £39 This one did not need any set up,except for download the software PC veiwer.When chip is connected to PC ,a menu of events. So you can veiw a particular event. comes up with date time and length of recording. It will also record when it detects a jolt on the car. It has an optional GPS plugin unit which show where all the events took place. Name of road etc. Would be nice to know what these £100 plus units do itisme

Post #456640 Sat Mar 21 2015 10:23am
hse-lee

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

hmmm interesting i really wanna get one of these fitted asap due to all the planks who seem to have a car their intent on driving badly, question do you have to manually power yours/switch on every time u get in the car id like to just get in and go with it starting up with the car automatically

of all the cheaper ones Ive looked at this blacksys seems to be the smallest/compact one

seen this one eBay just now is it the same as yours

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blacksys-CW-100-...2a4d465f11

Post #456681 Sat Mar 21 2015 5:09pm
harrygh60

Blacksys Dash Cam

Yes that is the same as mine. I ran the power cable,from camera near rear veiw mirror across sunvizor inside door rubber trim, under dash panel below steering wheel,pushed in gap between dash and centre consul, then plugged into cigar lighter. It starts working as soon as you open door,and carries on working for a set time after switching off. It shows a blue LED when it is recording. Mine was £39 from IJT Inks. But as yours said make an offer. It also records over the first recording when it runs out of space. But with a 32GB you should get around 100 hours itisme

Post #456682 Sat Mar 21 2015 5:36pm
hse-lee

oh wow that sounds great auto power on power off £40 could you ask for anymore i plan on cutting the cable and hardwiring it to cigarette lighter that way it won't be seen at all my good man you have just saved me £140+ Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #456683 Sat Mar 21 2015 5:42pm
hse-lee

did you opt for the gps unit too ?? would you say this is necessary

Post #456685 Sat Mar 21 2015 5:47pm
harrygh60

I have seen the GPS unit on Ebay for around £27. I suppose its a good extra if you dont know exactly where you are if you have an accident. As this records the roads you are on, time and speed. but you cant see this until plugged into a PC itisme

Post #456881 Mon Mar 23 2015 9:15am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

There are some reviews here Thumbs Up

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-t...h-cam-test

Some articles here too

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/feb/...ance-fraud

http://m.policewitness.com/who-are-we/

I have 2 blackvue because they were highly rated on here but have found reliability poor. I'm sticking with them due to cost but would look at alternatives next time Confused Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #456885 Mon Mar 23 2015 9:48am
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Another camera to consider is the one variously referred to as the Mini 0801 or Black Bullet or 'E- Prance. There are later evolutions known as Mini 0803 and I think even now 0805.

All have the same form factor and have distinct advantages of being tiny and unobtrusive, easy to remove from car, have an inbuilt screen, can playback through a TV via HDMI cable and are inexpensive. The 0801 can be had for about £45 with GPS. Beware of fake products on eBay - Amazon can be a less risky source.

Top Tip for any dashcam user is to try the free playback software 'Registrar Viewer' which is superior to most players provided with the cameras. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #457049 Tue Mar 24 2015 7:13pm
zaphod

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Rimini Red

You mean this? http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html?

Looks really good although typically my dashcam isn't supported (Snooper DVR-3HD) which is a real shame given that the supplied software doesn't work properly with Windows 8. I'll keep an eye on this though, hopefully they'll add support soon...

Post #457098 Wed Mar 25 2015 10:26am
Paddi

Just had a quick look at your camera specifications and it looks like it records in the .mov file format which can be read by registrator viewer so why not give it a go? All you have to do is download the software and then install it on the root directory of the SD card you are using. Put the SD card in your computer, browse to the card and start the software from there and it should automatically find your files and load them.

I'm no expert on video but I bet there is someone on the forum who knows all about it and might be along in a minute! 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #457195 Wed Mar 25 2015 10:14pm
zaphod

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Rimini Red

Thanks for that Paddi... took me a couple of weeks to get around to trying this out but I did as you said and put it on my memory card and it worked, even the bit where it shows your route on google maps Thumbs Up

Only thing I had to mess around with was getting a codec to make the sound work - had to install the K-Lite codec pack on my PC.

Glad I looked now too as it seems the 8GB card supplied only holds an hour or two of footage... need to get a bigger card and drop the resolution down a bit...

Post #459848 Mon Apr 20 2015 12:27pm
Paddi

Thumbs Up

Excellent work Zaphod. Sounds as if you know what you are doing so I probably don't need to tell you to make sure you source a decent quality SD card of the right class. Should be something in the camera specs about the highest class it can handle. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #459851 Mon Apr 20 2015 12:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1