RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > About to take the plunge. Need some tips!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

redson

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Lux Stornoway Grey
About to take the plunge. Need some tips!

After months of faffing about deciding what to get, going to take the plunge with an RRS. Looking at an HSE 08/09.

Would really appreciate opinions on some questions that have arisen having talked to dealers/'experts'.

Wheels: My main consideration is comfort. I am told I should avoid 19" rims as they hit resale. Is there a noticable noise/ride difference between 19 and 20" rims?

Trim: One dealer said they dont buy in black interior cars as cream/light are sold at a premium. Is it worth it? dont lighter trims age worse? I've found one HSE which seems to have a much more supple (black) leather trim. Is this the case (my current car has black leather)

Engine: diesel, but 2.7TDV6 or 3 V8. Is there a marginal consumption difference or is there a decent performance trade off? Also, was there an ECM upgrade across the range that improved consumption (as one dealer tells me, but no others have heard of?)

I've priced in bushes, arms, cambelt at 100K+ but anything else I should look for in a 60K+ example?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm hooked and need to know the downside... Confused

Post #412110 Sat Feb 01 2014 7:20pm
362bkr

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Hi my advice is get one! If you get a good example you will not regret it . Thumbs Up

Post #412111 Sat Feb 01 2014 7:26pm
Camelrock

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Tangiers Orange

Drive a v8 then the v6, v8 all the way !! 2008 G4 RRSport TDV8 current
2009 TDCi 90 current
2018 Discovery 5 HSE lux current
1994 Dakar current

Post #412112 Sat Feb 01 2014 8:56pm
362bkr

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Or drive a v6 and DONT drive a v8 Rolling with laughter

Post #412113 Sat Feb 01 2014 8:58pm
SPX

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Java Black

In answer to some of your questions...

I've owned both a TDV6 and TDV8 RR Sport and the TDV8 is as frugal as the V6 plus it's far more powerful, which is needed in a vehicle of this bulk.

I did slightly prefer a cream interior to black but unless you wear Farahs, it takes a lot more upkeep than black (hence my choice for a black interior). Car dealers will tell you any old shoite to convince you why their vehicle is more than the competition, just to make you buy theirs.

Post #412119 Sat Feb 01 2014 9:49pm
JasM

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The RRS is a great choice, I'm now on my second.

I would say the TDV6 is slightly more frugal, I easily got 36 MPG out of old 2.7 RRS on a long run. Can't comment on the ride comfort of 19"s since I had 20"s on mine, which I found acceptable.

Also there is no such thing as a ECM upgrade and no, 19's and black leather don't hit resale values, you can easily pick up a cheap set of 20"s on ebay or on here. This all sounds like dealer waffle to me. 2014 L405 SDV8 RR Autobiography Cool

2012 RRS SDV6 HSE -Orkney Grey with A/B bodykit - Now Gone Sad
2007 RRS TDV6 HSE - Zermatt Silver - Gone

Post #412123 Sat Feb 01 2014 10:17pm
PEACHY

England 

Agree with JasM & SPX Thumbs Up the dealer seems to talking out his Censored As for the interior colour the RRS your looking at will be more than 4-5 years old any interior will have a few signs of use never mind the colour. Can't comment on Diesel engines Whistle I've only had the real V8 Rolling with laughter 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #412124 Sat Feb 01 2014 10:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fkarim

United Kingdom 

+1 that 19" wheels do not hit resale value. I agreed a part-ex price with dealer while on 20s but by the time I exchanged the car I had switched to my winter set which was 19". Dealer was informed and there was no change in price. Can't believe the situation would have been much different if it was a private sale. May be a couple of hundred worst case?

Post #412126 Sat Feb 01 2014 11:14pm
BKHK

Australia 

Buy as new as possible with as low mileage as possible.

Interior. I have had both. The black is much more durable than cream, especially if you ever wear jeans, then it becomes light blue trim.

19 inch wheels should not hit resale, in terms of comfort, 19 are the best in my experience.

Resale, don't worry about resale. It's not going to be a new car so the % difference on resale is going to be very small. You are buying the car to enjoy and to use, not as an asset. Treat it right, service it and you will recoup as much as you are going to with any trim or wheel choice.

I had the 2.7 TDV6. The 2.7 and the 3.0 are very smooth and quiet engines. They offer a good all round blend of economy and performance but the choice is up to you. You may get a newer V6 than V8 for your money.

Post #412134 Sun Feb 02 2014 1:00am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Re: About to take the plunge. Need some tips!

redson wrote:

Wheels: My main consideration is comfort. I am told I should avoid 19" rims as they hit resale. Is there a noticable noise/ride difference between 19 and 20" rims?

Sounds like rubbish to me. Anyway, you can pick up a set of 20 inch rims with tyres for c.£100/corner on ebay. 19s give better ride than 20s and are slightly more forgiving of kerbs as you have a deeper sidewall. And why worry about marginal resale value changes when you're buying a second hand vehicle that is a good way through the depreciation curve?

Quote:

Trim: One dealer said they dont buy in black interior cars as cream/light are sold at a premium. Is it worth it? dont lighter trims age worse? I've found one HSE which seems to have a much more supple (black) leather trim. Is this the case (my current car has black leather)

He wasn't trying to sell some light interior cars to you was he? Whistle Black is by far the most common car interior and will always sell. The lighter interiors are more "personal taste" choices and so limit the market a bit.

Quote:
Engine: diesel, but 2.7TDV6 or 3 V8. Is there a marginal consumption difference or is there a decent performance trade off? Also, was there an ECM upgrade across the range that improved consumption (as one dealer tells me, but no others have heard of?)

The 2.7 is a little underpowered in a 2.5 tonne vehicle. The 3.6TDV8 isn't. The 3.0 V6 diesel is a good lump. The SDV6 is even better but out of your sights. You can remap them all but the newer engines need to have the ECU removed from the vehicle. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #412135 Sun Feb 02 2014 1:18am
Stuart

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

BKHK wrote:

Buy as new as possible with as low mileage as possible.

Basically that.

And a dark interior wears better IMO. I wouldn't buy another pale leather car. I had enough since the 90's to know to buy dark/black leather now.

And finally, these are not old Mercs that just inherently work. These cars go wrong. Budget at least a grand to fix basic stuff, and feel lucky if you spend less than that in the first year.

But when they work, you will have a big smile on your face.

Post #412137 Sun Feb 02 2014 2:20am
redson

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Lux Stornoway Grey

Many thanks for answers. Amazing the rubbish some dealers come out with. Leather trim issue as i thought. 20/19" rims not really an issue. Appears to have boiled down to V8 or V6 given usage will be short local trips with the occasional (bimonthly) 300 mile long motorway run

Post #412159 Sun Feb 02 2014 2:20pm
jochem00

If you only do some 700 miles per month.
better go for the supercharged.
a much more reliable engine with less parts to go wrong.
the diesels don't like the short trips.

Post #412203 Mon Feb 03 2014 9:49am
andy r

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 S Zambezi Silver

Had the 2.7 valued at Matfords on saturday....08 S spec (black cloth, small wheels etc etc) and was offered £19K just to take it off my hands or £22k as a part ex............but then it's only done 33k miles, so low spec motors hold their money ! 08 2.7 RRS "S"
Td5 110......very modified
RS 5
Kawasaki ZX12R Censored me, it's quick !

Post #412556 Tue Feb 04 2014 10:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1