RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Android Tablet build revisited, ICE Build Part I
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Guyzer73

Oman 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange
Android Tablet build revisited, ICE Build Part I

Ok so I’d previously gone down the route of installing a Samsung Tab 7.7, however, this died a death with the tablet…. I’m now picking up from where I left off but using a Google Nexus 7 (2013).

For the main technical part you can see the details on the old thread:

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic29108.html

I’ll solely be dealing with what’s different with this build in this thread.

So the basics are as above with regards wiring and placement. The main differences being:

1. The cigar lighter USB power adapter will be located in the upper glove box so that the power cable can be unplugged and used to sync the tablet with a laptop not hidden in the console.
2. No phone capability directly, I’ll be using the app “Tablet Talk” and also the ICE build Part II for this.
3. RR Evoque/ RRS 2014 style GUI using various Android Apps.
4. Left and Right AC vents need to be cut to allow for the power and audio cables as there’s no power/audio dock station available for the Nexus. Not a problem as this will give some AC to the rear of the tablet in the summer therefore hopefully preventing overheating.
5. No “Auto power on” hack when charge applied as the hack isn’t available yet…. But this will be done once it’s available.
6. Tablet will be mounted to the frame of the OEM SatNav via a hard case rear shell to make it removal once the centre console fascia is removed.
7. The tablet would be hardwired to the AUX IN, eventually with a pre amp to balance speaker levels and the phone would auto connect to the OEM Bluetooth.

Those are the major changes. The tablet should be installed within the next 2 weeks in parallel to the body kit which is finally being released from customs and will hopefully be collected by Sunday next week.

With regards Item 2 above the idea is basically to have the Nexus installed ‘permanently’ but removable if the car’s left outside for long periods of time and the phone (Xperia Z Ultra) to be dockable for charging and BT integration.

Here’s a mock up of what it should look like when finished, the rest of the phone build will be dealt with in the ICE Part II thread:

I’ve pretty much finalized the GUI. I’ve tried to keep it simple and not have too many apps and screens this time round.

Again here are some photos of the new GUI:

I'm considering putting a "Valet" function in which would lock the tablet to avoid people snooping at emails contacts etc. Shouldn't be hard to do.

As before if people are interested I can list out the Apps I’ve used to achieve this as well as the steps necessary to make the GUI using only MS PowerPoint.

As mentioned above for Part II, have a look here:

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/post411415.html#411415

Look forward to comments and feedback.

Cheers

Guy 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...
1994 RRC 4.2l not LSE sadly gone but not forgotten
LR Defender 300Tdi - affectionately know as "The Black Beast"

Post #411412 Tue Jan 28 2014 8:11am
Guyzer73

First trial fit of both the Nexus and Xperia Ultra looks like it will work Smile

Cheers

Post #411992 Fri Jan 31 2014 3:50pm
chelseablue06

2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Hi Guy

This looks really good!

I have just removed the nexus (this was after removing an Ipad mini) and replaced it with the Galaxy Tab 3 in my dash setup. I did this because I found going back to a smaller screen on the nexus difficult and the 8.0 tab makes a huge difference(although it was much more of a pain to install!)

I am still yet to decide on the best screen layout for ease of use (whilst parked up of cause Whistle )

Would you be happy to explain in a bit more detail how you have got the screen layout setup?

Thanks

Jay

Post #412128 Sat Feb 01 2014 11:18pm
Guyzer73

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the comments Thumbs Up

Can I ask how you shoehorned a Tab 3 8" in between the AC Vents Question Shocked I tried the same with a Note 8.0 and it didn't come close to fitting, and that was before the power and audio cables were connected.... I'd be interested as I wouldn't mind a bigger screen also.

With regards how I got the buttons I basically used MS PowerPOint to create the buttons and then saved each button image as it's own png file.

Then using an App called Desktop Virtualizer attributed the icon to a widget which is attributed an action. I started doing a write up but it got to 3 pages of waffle. Once I'm home I'll work through 1 button and take screen shots to explain what I've done from start to finish.

But this will take me a couple of days

Cheers

Post #412143 Sun Feb 02 2014 8:45am
tanloverluke

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Hi Guy this looks pretty cool ! All those extra features like the email make it look a very attractive upgrade. Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.
DONE: Meduza front bumper, AB rear bumper, AB tailpipes, calipers repainted, rear upper tailgate upgrade, side steps, AB front grille, AB side vents, rear LED lights, clear side repeaters, integrated daytime running lights, LED headlights.
TO DO: color code sills and pillars.

Post #412152 Sun Feb 02 2014 11:05am
chelseablue06

Thanks for the extra info will have a play with the screen layouts at the weekend.

I needed to use a dremel and take a cut out of both of the vents to fit the tab in. I built a metal bracket to hold the tab in place and the force of the vents ontop once screwed in hold it in perfectly. I drilled a whole in the vent for the cables (there is one each end on the tab 3) this holds the cables in snug. The vents still function although I managed to snap the vent control on one so will end up replacing it at some point.

The only problem I have had so far is the tab came up with an error message when I had the heater on full for a long period of time and the tab charging. Unplugging the charger solved this.

I ran the charger to the bottom glove box allowing me to unplug from power when needed and plug into a PC if I ever need to.

The tab is set up to power the screen on when it receives power, this also triggers wifi, Bluetooth and GPS. When power is off the screen turns off and all options are turned off. It also auto starts torque and connects to the odb port. Battery is always around 80-100% depending on the amount I use my car in the week. It chargers through a 2.1 amp USB adapter as the standard 1.0 amp didn't charge as quick as the battery was draining when everything on the tablet was turned on.

I also use tablet talk as we'll and it's a great app!

Unfortuanatley because I cut the navigation surround originally when I installed the iPad ( thanks to Paul on here for the great iPad fitting instructions) it no longer fits snug to the tab so I will need to extend it (when I get time) with some fibre glass resin.

I definitely reconmend the larger screen , when I take it apart to fit the new surround I will upload some photos in my gallery so you can see the fit.

Jay

Post #412300 Mon Feb 03 2014 9:20pm
Guyzer73

Cheers Jay,

Look forward to the photos. How did you get round the home, back and menu buttons? This is one of the reasons I've not used my Note 8.

Also what's the screen useage like? I've noticed on the Note 8.0 and Nexus 7 (2) that a lot of screen real estate is not used in landscape mode.

For example the Nexus is a 7" screen diagonal. I actually get to use only 6.25" so a lot less. For the Note 8.0 it's the same story 7.2" instead of 8" which is pretty s**t... Again the Xperia Ultra is 5.5" in lieu of 6.4".

The Tab 7.7 I had, before it broke, was much better offering 7.4" against a screen diagonal of 7.7"

Cheers

Post #412610 Wed Feb 05 2014 12:03pm
chelseablue06

Hi Guy

I have finally got round to uploading my photos in my gallery so you should get a good idea of screen size etc.

I have the hard buttons imitated by the assistance mode which can be turned on in settings. It places a small icon which overlays the screen at all times and allows you to bring up a menu giving you the ability to go 'Back' , 'Home' or the 'Menu' function. It works very well although I am thinking about reducing the screen size and showing the full soft button menu the same as the Nexus devices have.

To give an idea of screen size available within apps have a look at the below Navigation and Radio Screens.

The photos were taken at night so not the best quality im afraid. Also im in the process of removing the vinyl wrap from the inside and spraying the trim and vents gloss black.

To show you what needs to be done to the vent to allow the 8" tab to fit I cut a channel along the side so the tab slots in and is held in place on top of the metal bracket

m
I have managed to get another set of vents off ebay so I am going to redo the cuts and this time make sure they are neater and don't prevent the vent from opening Very Happy

Once I have finished painting I will be really happy with it all im sure.......until I get board and decide I want to add to 10" tab!

cheers
Jay

Post #414292 Sun Feb 16 2014 3:12pm
Guyzer73

Cheers Jay,

Tempting to upgrade to the 8" as I can get hold of a Tab 3 on points and have a Note 8.0 available....hmmm decisions, decisions...

Despite the broken stereo I've got the final layout sorted, needs tidying up now:

Guess I need to make a choice prettty quickly, only real issue I have is that I would have to use a floating button for home, something I don't like so need a solution to that, which I may have...

Cheers

Post #415059 Sat Feb 22 2014 2:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1