RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Orders (L494) > Speakers . . .upgrade or not
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Altidude

Speakers . . .upgrade or not

Just about to confirm order on HSE. Any views on the standard speaker system v the 825w Maridian. I've got Harman Kardon in my Mercedes. Ae they worth the extra really or is the standard speaker pretty good?

Post #392066 Sat Aug 17 2013 7:31pm
Cpd1

def upgrade! It obviously depends of what you prioritise but this is money well spent. Have listened to the 825w and it is very good. The other one is awesome but silly money. I think for £1000 it is well worth to upgrade
I listen only to my music, very rarely radio and sound is important. Also have a MB with HK and the Meridian system is a cut above without charging you what other manufacturers charge now for the B&O brand.

Post #392070 Sat Aug 17 2013 8:37pm
leondrums

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I take it the standard speakers are not Meridian at all? 2017 MY - Dynamic, same again!

2016 MY - Dynamic - same spec again all round, engine a noticeable improvement

2015 HSE Dynamic - same spec as the last plus Meridian, Full Size Spare & InControl Apps

HSE Dynamic 2014:
Ebony / Lunar, Heated Mirrors, Privacy Glass, Heated Steering Wheel, Red Callipers, Interior Mood Lighting, Ebony Headlining, Panoramic Roof, Electric Towbar, Centre Console Fridge.

Previously: 2011 RRS, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Audi S5 Cab, RRS, Audi S4 Cab.

Post #392243 Mon Aug 19 2013 6:16pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

It appears not. The brochure talks about "Range Rover Audio" 380W with 8 speakers. I initially thought it would be the basic Meridian system used in the Evoque which is already very good so why this is not branded as a Meridian system, I do not know.

On that basis, I would have thought the audio upgrade to the 825W system is worthwhile. The £4k further upgrade seems overkill. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #392348 Tue Aug 20 2013 8:31pm
mse

United Kingdom 

is it me that sees meridian and think Aldi...i remember they always used to sell their stuff.

Personally i like HK but thats gone Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #392351 Tue Aug 20 2013 10:02pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

I think it's you. Meridian is one of the best names in British audio, their Technical Director Bob Stuart is a genius though they have hit somewhat hard times recently with the decline in conventional "hi-fi". Their active loudspeakers are especially good once you accept the price.

I'd be very surprised to find Aldi selling a £30,000+ pair of active loudspeakers... Mark

Post #392353 Tue Aug 20 2013 10:09pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Info on the Meridian systems here...

https://www.meridian-audio.com/en/meridian..._Sport/42/ Mark

Post #392355 Tue Aug 20 2013 10:25pm
mse

United Kingdom 

They used to sell head units and speakers in Aldi, maybe 10yrs ago - made by a manufacture with identical name

I know nothing about them to say good or bad...i just thank aldi each time.

Bose or HK are my favourites...each to their own Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #392381 Wed Aug 21 2013 12:37pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Hey thats a bit uncalled for Exclamation - im not saying im an expert or anything on audio, I only said Aldi used to sell meridian head units and speakers (which they did and other products) and it always seems odd to then think of them as a quality product since then. I didnt make any other reference....actually its actually not even a bad thing, not that i shop at aldi but they have sold lots of brands.

Equally i expressed an opinion, Land Rover have run their own audio and Harmon Kardon for a long time - they ditched HK for a while and its returned - i liked it in the first TD5 disco i had and I have liked it in the last 2 sports. Equally the bose system (admittedly not in an LR) we have had is very good, we have a fair number of household and other bose products and im a fan.

That said upgrading the defender and discovery sound systems and speakers to Sony and Pioneer (respectively) improved the sound quality.

However, If you are carrying your wrong view about towing forward to everything now - i can send you some DVLA links to prove the earlier points if you like? and maybe some quotes to show what we were saying referenced to those points...i could even draw a diagram, but i thought we were moving past that? i wouldnt want to feel bullied or tormented by a fellow friendly forum users Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #392402 Wed Aug 21 2013 3:55pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Sorry to the OP

and on that topic...i think having a more gutsy increase Wattage sound would be better so the meridian system must be an improvement - get it Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #392406 Wed Aug 21 2013 4:43pm
Baco

Belgium 

The Meridian was one of the first options I just had to pick. I'm a huge music fan, so that's a no-brainer Wink I didn't go crazy and get the full-blown system, but I think the 'regular' Meridian will be quite a treat already. I'm surely looking forward to it!

Post #392414 Wed Aug 21 2013 5:53pm
The Red One

United Kingdom 

If you can afford it, go for it. I had the 825W system in my Evoke and it was awesome, although at high volume it did shake the car! I changed the Evoke for a new MY12 RRS HSE last year and it has the standard system and you can notice the difference.
I bet the 1700W system is out of this world. Thumbs Up

Post #392424 Wed Aug 21 2013 8:11pm
Luminated

United Kingdom 

I use to be in the car audio business doing some extensive builds and using my experienced ears without a shadow of doubt the 825w system is a must for anyone remotely interested in music. Neither Bose or HK come even close to matching the clarity and fidelity on offer, it's not ever fair calling this a factory upgrade because its unlike any I've heard.

Whilst placing my order for an HSE I ticked only two boxes, one was a heated steering wheel and the other this sound system upgrade everything else are unnecessary luxuries but these were essentials.

Post #399214 Sun Oct 20 2013 9:06pm
rrsgw

MSE - I think you are getting confused with MEDION not Meridian http://www.medion.com/gb/welcome

Post #399242 Mon Oct 21 2013 8:28am
naks

South Africa 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Siberian Silver

*thread resurrection*

I've got the standard Meridian system.

If I upgrade just the speakers, will this improve the sounds a lot? or just a little bit?

And besides the LR speakers (https://www.powerfuluk.com/range-rover-l405-meridian-signature-super-premium-audio-door-speakers-set-of-4.html), what other brand could I use that would fit in there without modifications?

thanks --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Post #589964 Wed Nov 06 2019 1:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>