RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Is it me
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

mse

United Kingdom 
Is it me

is it me, or the police condemning this person as irresponsible just one step too far...who are the police to say this is irresponsible?

This is everything that's wrong with the police and this country in my opinion - people need to be accountable for their actions - but do not need the state to declare whether their actions are anything.

Yes don't be an idiot and kill someone...but still (oh and there are loads of youtube videos of the police doing similar things)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-20555116

unless you guys think im mad or living in the past?

There is a fast track there...is the farmer irresponsible - why is the farmer more responsible than the Land Rover owner? The Defender keeps a good bow wave - constant speed - positive firm surface underfoot, well within the wading capability of the vehicle, there was little flow on the road, the road was clearly marked and depths indicated. It did get a little deep at the end - although ive been through deeper off road on an unknown surface and the defender letter in water is a good thing as this decreases its boyancy

The vehicle could also have been full prepared for wading and the driver trained for that - it seems like the sort of conditions ive been trained to drive through. At no point did the vehicle struggle or get stuck, destroy any part of the highway infrastructure or endanger anyone

For me its a slippery slope to no freedom in this country, there certainly isnt the chance to make a mistake even.

deep breath and off i go again Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #365075 Sat Dec 01 2012 6:06pm
sparky8181

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Irresponsible or not, one things for sure

He has some balls to try that Thumbs Up MY07 TDV6 HSE Stornaway & Ivory

Mods So Far: Side steps - Smoked Side Repeaters - OEM Style Signature LED Front Lights - LED Side Lights - LED Interior Lighting - 2012 Autobigraphy Style Front Grill & Side Vents - 2012 Rear LED Lights

Planned Mods: Paint My Brembo's - Colour Code Mirrors - Rear Interior Light Mod - GVIF

Post #365079 Sat Dec 01 2012 6:35pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

The fast track was in no danger due to its height but the lr was in too deep imho Shocked

He was lucky nothing went wrong - if it had emergency services would have had to rescue him presuming he had not died putting them at risk and costing the tax payer so the police have a point especially when already stretched helping those suffering not having fun Rolling Eyes Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #365082 Sat Dec 01 2012 7:22pm
mse

United Kingdom 

He was not in too deep - i admit it was deeper at the end...but not too deep - i still think he was within the wading depth of the defender...ive had v8 defenders deeper than that, now thats scary

The fast track could have gone into a verge and rolled - or got stuck...tractors are not impervious i know a few farms with 100k worth of scrap john deer Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #365115 Sat Dec 01 2012 10:26pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

Quote:
There is a fast track there...is the farmer irresponsible - why is the farmer more responsible than the Land Rover owner?

No the farmer won't be irresponsible, this is the BBC and hidden agenda in the form of "news" at its absolute finest....it's another opportunity to knock the 4x4 brigade through the great British self destructing inducing media.

The Guardian readers will be all over this tomorrow..........'poisoning of the river systems, carelessness, it was due to snow but as this driver was in a 4x4 it only rained today' types of B Censored s as they do so well.

IMO - very brave and well done. Very Happy L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #365117 Sat Dec 01 2012 10:38pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

No - this is brave Bow down

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-20498913

An example of Lr being used for good and the sort of pr we need Thumbs Up

Not churning up green lanes when they are wet or using flooded public roads as a playground Whistle

CG should be defending the tractor by now - not like him to miss an opportunity Laughing Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #365121 Sat Dec 01 2012 11:29pm
mse

United Kingdom 

But to do the one, you have to do the other Exclamation

eg, what if the defender in Norfolk had come across a stranded motorist and done the same?

I dont believe this is irresponsible - i would question the road closure purpose...it was clearly passable, it was only impassible for untrianed or un-sutiable vehciles...just as not having the right tyres or an MOT'd car makes it unsutiable Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #365126 Sun Dec 02 2012 12:23am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Problem is, IF they broke down they would need rescuing, so yes it was partially irresponsible in the what may have happened side of things. Even if they waded out the car would still need checking, which take up Resources and time were they could be doing something else

Post #365134 Sun Dec 02 2012 8:38am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I can see this from both sides.

The police are correct that, if something had gone wrong then they'd have been throwing precious resources at a rescue that didn't need to happen. But then the same could be said for all of those people who drive in snowy conditions with lo profile summer tyres on. THe Defender driver didn't need to go that way just as others don't need to try to drive unsuitable vehicles in snow.

However, the Defender driver and his passenger have decided to try to wade through. So long as, in the event of a failed wade attempt, they're happy to get themselves to safety and inform the police that the vehicle is abandoned and doesn't need to be checked/recovered then I don't see it as a problem. There doesn't appear to be a lot of current so walking/swimming out along the road shouldn't be the too difficult.

As the water is much deeper than the recommended wading depth of 500mm, I assume the Defender has a snorkel/wading kit fitted. So they're not going in to unprepared as some 4x4 owners have been. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #365139 Sun Dec 02 2012 9:33am
Guyzer73

Oman 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

Well I couldn't hear the commentary as I was at work so no sound, but, I tend to agree with MSE, the driver knew what he was doing, or at least looked like it and I've had my Sport (SC) up to the lights in water, all be it not so long....

Further, who's not to say that the driver didn't know the road inside out as a local and the Fastrac had in fact driven in from that side and told the Landie driver that it was ok and stopped there just in case of a problem??

All speculation on myseide as I didn't hear the commentary, but, I think the critism is a step too far from a nanny state. And if the accusation is that others with less experience and lesser vehicles might try it because of him posting the video that's just Censored because then 50% of videos/ pictures on the web should be removed, or have a warning put on them, lest somebody for example sees a sword swallower and skewers himself whilst trying it himself....

Cheers

Guy 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...
1994 RRC 4.2l not LSE sadly gone but not forgotten
LR Defender 300Tdi - affectionately know as "The Black Beast"

Post #365216 Mon Dec 03 2012 8:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1