RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Loud Grinding/Vibraiting noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

umeshk84

Loud Grinding/Vibraiting noise

Hi Ive got a RRS 11plate 3.0tdv6

Ive been experiencing a grinding or vibrating noise coming from the gearbox/engine at specifically 38-40mph, 5th gear @1200 revs. One you pass 45mph or go above 1500 revs the noise dissapears

Ive taken the vehicle to dealer as its only done 12k miles and they cant find a fault.

Has anyone else had this experience or know what it could be?

Any help appreciated

Post #364869 Thu Nov 29 2012 1:16pm
B.Safe

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Me for years Sad
I was told I am M A D Big Cry
__ /|\

Post #364949 Thu Nov 29 2012 10:31pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

I think mine does that - more grumbling than grinding. I never really gave it a second thought. It's not especially intrusive or worrisome... not until I read this post, anyway... Confused

Is it just the engine labouring a little? L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #364980 Fri Nov 30 2012 10:48am
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

Imported a Chevy Camaro SS donkeys years ago - that had the same issue - no fluid in gearbox.

Guess you've checked the levels?

Post #365018 Fri Nov 30 2012 7:52pm
B.Safe

This is the only reason I am sorry I ever bought an RRS. Every time I get in the car and then while driving this noise makes me checking if the windows are fully closed which they are Sad

Big Cry /|\

Post #365038 Sat Dec 01 2012 12:20am
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Mine too. Low frequency vibration (or rumble) at 20-40 ish. Not loud though. Not wheel bearings, not front diff (replaced it to cure a worse noise on lift off at high speed - successful) not tyres - just replaced. Not wheels - just had refurb/run out and flat spots checked. Not alignment - checked and OK. Unlikely rear diff - changed oil but the old stuff was not black and not too many iron filings on drain plug. Remaining suspects are transfer case and gearbox? There is a known issue with clanking chain on transfer case but it is not that. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #365071 Sat Dec 01 2012 4:02pm
defender_uk

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

my 2011 tdv6 does the same.....only done 9000 miles.

thought it was my imagination....

Post #365077 Sat Dec 01 2012 6:21pm
Paddi

Interesting - we need to get the cause of this.
IF we really are all experiencing the same noise then it must be a component that is common to all these cars?
IF it definitely only occurs in 5th gear (and I am not sure about that in my case) then it might be reasonable to conclude the noise originates in the gearbox?
Could be just an example of something being at its resonant frequency at a certain road speed/gear combination; but if that is the case then why are all vehicles not affected?
If somebody has found a fix for this then we need to hear from you please. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #366714 Sat Dec 15 2012 6:30pm
B.Safe

The noisy I hear (very annoying) gives me the impression that the front passenger window is not fully closed.

I JUST HATE THAT NOISE Arrow

Big Cry /|\

Post #366741 Sat Dec 15 2012 10:59pm
Paddi

solved
I appreciate that we may not all be experiencing the same noise - for instance the noise on my vehicle would not be confused with the resonance caused by an open window as another poster has mentioned.
Bodsy - to give him credit; had suggested to me in a pm that recalibrating the transfer box might be worth a try.
In another thread on the Disco 3 sister site a poster with multiple issues reported that recalibrating the transfer box and changing the transfer box oil had cured the 'rumbling.
SO - whilst my RRS was at my Indie having the leaking air suspension fixed (which they did very nicely) I asked them to recalibrate the transfer box. Decided not to change the oil yet as I wanted to proceed one step at a time having eliminated lots of other potential causes (see my earlier posts above).
Imagine my delight on getting the car back at finding that the annoying rumbling noise has gone. OK there are still some slight noises but I'm happy these are normal due to the wide low profile tyres, firm ride and the fact this is a sophisticated 4x4 with lots of metal whirring round that a normal car doesn't have plus the appalling road surfaces in Hertfordshire. BUT the unmistakable rumbling noise has definitely gone and the car now feels smooth as silk just like it should. I'm so happy!
I have absolutely no idea what recalibrating the TB actually does - my Indie said "its just a software update really".
Whatever it is it only takes about 45 minutes to do so not expensive and definitely worth a try if you think you may have this issue. Hope this helps some of you out there. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #371109 Sun Jan 27 2013 6:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1