RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Front Active Sway Bar Replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RaNgE_RoVeR

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Buckingham Blue
Front Active Sway Bar Replacement

Any of you had to replace an active sway bar? If so, I'm curious about the symptoms/noise you were having prior to replacement. I'm getting a sharp knock precisely midway through left turns while going downhill. Vehicle seems to be leveling out just fine when negotiating turns on a level surface.
I'm @ 60K on 2006 SC.

Post #351172 Thu Jul 19 2012 9:01pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Mine is having the rear one done at the moment. The most obvious symptom was fluid leaking out of it and covering everything around it. I thought I had a fuel leak such was the amount spread around.

There are a number of reasons for knocking noises on the RRS, these include the anti roll bar (anti sway bar) bushes, wishbone bushes, bottom ball joint and I think you can get a noise from worn track rod ends. There is also a "characteristic" noise form the dynamic rseponse system that is heard as a thud as the steering is turned back and forth and is heard when the car is level. This is a result of the hydraulics doing their thing apparently and is condidered "normal".

I wonder if you might have a wheel bearing on its way out? Is there any whine/groaning noise associated with left turns that isn't also heard during right turns? Wheel bearings are quite vocal when subjected to loading in corners as they fail. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #351181 Thu Jul 19 2012 11:20pm
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

Mine has had front bushes etc replaced at 12months old, and the rear anti-sway assembly at 3 years.

I know USA has better freedom of information than we do in the UK so see if your dealer can look up the car's records. Here in the UK Land Rover claim it is confidential data . This is what they said to me; I quote ...

"The reasons behind this are that the warranty history of a previously-owned vehicle has no relation to the new or potential new purchaser of that vehicle. The warranty contract at that point in time was with the owner of the vehicle then and as Land Rover paid for the work, the data relating to what was carried out remains confidential."

There was a factory campaign here in the UK - Q079D, so check if yours had this done.

Post #351218 Fri Jul 20 2012 12:14pm
RRSTDV8DK

Denmark 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Hi RRSTDV8

Do you remember how much it was to change the read ARB? RRS TDV8 HSE in Stornoway Grey/Alpaca/Rhodium/Multimedia/Privacy Glass

Post #351254 Fri Jul 20 2012 4:26pm
RaNgE_RoVeR

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Buckingham Blue

Thanks for all the helpful info. The Land Rover technicians have officially diagnosed the noise as a faulty active sway bar. It's too bad the units aren't serviceable, as they are rather pricey to replace.
I wasn't aware that UK consumers weren't privy to the same info we have access to here in the US. I'm a fan of the UK tv show 'Wheeler Dealers', and I noticed he always asks private sellers whether or not a maintenance record for the vehicle has been kept.

Post #351261 Fri Jul 20 2012 4:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1