Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > would you buy RRSport or FFRR westminster
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

jettdt

United Kingdom 
would you buy RRSport or FFRR westminster

Hi,

I am looking at changing my car soon and the quotes coming in for business contract hire have made the westminster slightly cheaper than a Sport.

My struggle is I know the new FFRR is very close hence the Westminster edition being built as a run out model, but the car itself does seem better than the Sport in performance and ride, that said I prefer the Sports look.

I know it is very subjective and this is a sport forum but what would you do out of interest?

Thabks

Post #347622 Tue Jun 19 2012 5:11pm
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Which one does your wife think you should go for?

Jim

Post #347623 Tue Jun 19 2012 5:14pm
Overfinch

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

I'm probably gonna get shot on here for saying this but hands down the full fat RR is a better car in my opinion, but I know what you're saying, the Sport's looks and handling are better.

I'd still have to go for the Westminster! Thumbs Up

Post #347626 Tue Jun 19 2012 5:17pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

In that situation, I'd go for the FFRR too. 4.4 TDV8? Yes please! Thumbs Up

Spec it with the active rear diff too and be all-but-unstoppable Very Happy 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #347629 Tue Jun 19 2012 5:25pm
jettdt

United Kingdom 

You are correct about the wife, she will have final say !!

We had a FFRR supercharged in 2005 when it first came out and its still the car my wife loved the most and the cars we have had since never quite matched up. That said I'm worried we will be disappointed with the diesel performance after a supercharged.

I think that I ma sit tight and wait for the new FFRR and then try to bag a bargain on the Westminster's that are left. problem is may miss out all together, but at least then the decision will be made for us I suppose.

Decisions Decisions.

Post #347630 Tue Jun 19 2012 5:29pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I am currently running a tdv8 vogue loan car and I would give my right arm to get rid of the RRS and have the full fat Big Cry

New price Westminster out of my reach but looking 1 year old not much between RRS and vogue Shocked

Can't believe I never looked at full fat when I got RRS Rolling Eyes Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #347652 Tue Jun 19 2012 7:27pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I toyed with the idea of the FFRR when I was looking at the RRS. Decided that the softer ride of the FFRR might be too much for SWMBO as she can get car sick at times.

Hopefully, after the RRS, I'll be able to go to a FFRR at some point in the future. The 4.4TDV8 looks to be an excellent engine for the job Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #347654 Tue Jun 19 2012 7:29pm
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

The problem with the current model FFR, as I see it, is that it is associated with old farts driving them dressed in tweeds and smelling of moth balls.

In my eyes the RRS is better looking, sexier, handles better on the road and isn't going to be replaced in the next 7 months with an all new model, which will probably look like a RRS.

I looked at a FFRR and rejected it for the RRS on looks, image and handling.

Just my tuppence worth.

Jim

Post #347656 Tue Jun 19 2012 7:32pm
kieltdv8

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Hi Jettdt

Funnily enough we were out with the dog on Sunday and had a wander past our local LR dealer (who used to be shut on a Sunday), with the thought of changing to a new RRS.

There were several Westministers on show.One had the exterior design pack which was pretty damned smart.

This has left us with the very same predicament

I,ve always had a soft spot for V8s and was very disappointed when the engine was dropped

The new RRS is a better looking car but the FF is much better spec and the finance is fairly close too.

The FF is more oppulent and a slightly nicer place to be.

We didn't have time for test drive in either but hope to take them for a spin tomorrow when we go back to iron out the

finance details

Thumbs Up Kiel

Post #347662 Tue Jun 19 2012 8:23pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Agree RRS looks better and corners better but has road tyres as standard Rolling Eyes

FFRR is bigger, quicker, smoother, more opulent and has off road tyres as standard but why would you want them on a 4x4 Whistle

If I hadn't had all the problems with my RRS and it had the 4.4 TDV8 with all season tyres I would be on cloud 9 Bow down Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #347669 Tue Jun 19 2012 8:48pm
oldcro

Scotland 

I have just changed from a MY11 RRS HSE to a FFRR Westminster and am just getting used to the Westminster.

First impressions:-

The Westminster has a smoother more comfortable seat and ride, its softer suspension means it is not as sporty as the Sport. It does not like cornering compared to the Sport which cornered like its name suggests. Some three point turns are now four point turns.
I must admit the Sport wins from the far seats back with easier access to the boot. Some little things make it obvious the Westminster is a much older design, which points to a class beating model it wiil be when the new Range Rover comes out.

The engine a 4.4 litre TDV8 mated to the 8 speed auto box is outstanding even compared to the V6 in the Sport, very quiet and needs a glance at the revs to know another gear has been selected.

The extra bonus is when driving over the same route at the same speed fuel consumption is about the same, although taking advantage of the extra performance does show its ability to consume diesel like a good-un.

I had a good PX on the Sport and bought the vehicle I had coveted for 40 years. Not had the Westminster long enough to say how good or bad living with it is, but first impressions are very favourable and I'm very glad I upgraded/changed models. Very Happy

Post #347684 Tue Jun 19 2012 10:07pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Oldcro - agree totally Thumbs Up

Bow down

Big Cry Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #347696 Tue Jun 19 2012 10:30pm
jettdt

United Kingdom 

Looks like the Westminster would be the best option then, especially if people on the sport forum are saying so! Anyone know if there is an actual launch date for the new version as I think I want to see it properly before I tie myself up for three years.

I won't mind having the old model if the discount is high enough but would want to see the price difference first if its really that close to launch. My feeling is that the discount is fairly good, the price I've been quoted is lower than an autobiography Sport.

Still in contract hire terms Mercedes is trouncing other suppliers at the moment, I could have a new style ML, or a C63 AMG estate and enough change for a Mini for the price of either of the Land rover offerings.

Post #347791 Wed Jun 20 2012 2:03pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars...r-pictured

More dilemas now Big Cry Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #347802 Wed Jun 20 2012 2:52pm
Bradders

United Kingdom 

MW - I seriously like the look of that FFRR. I wonder how close that rendered image is to the real thing. FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Post #347805 Wed Jun 20 2012 2:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>