leedsunited

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Are our young being failed by the education system

Interesting comments from the CBI
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...osses.html

Post #346943 Thu Jun 14 2012 8:14pm
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

Basic life skills such as being polite, shaking hands and holding a conversation should be taught by the parents before they REACH school !! Kids nowadays show no respect to their parents let alone teachers, I'm with Jeremy clarkson on this one, you should be made to have an IQ test before you are allowed to have kids! Laughing
Cheers
Dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #346950 Thu Jun 14 2012 8:44pm
kieltdv8

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Leeds

We had major problems with our son's education starting about five years ago which resulting in us going down the private education route.

Good news is he has managed to catch up the two years he had fallen behind and has been accepted for his preferred senior school.

Bad news it has cost us at least the price of new RRS Big Cry

Thumbs Up Kiel

Post #346951 Thu Jun 14 2012 8:48pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Judging by some members of this very forum, it's not only the young that have been failed by the education system; an inability to spell seems very common, for example. Rolling Eyes

The article raises two issues, the first being a failure in basic manners. This is a parental issue, not a school issue. The second problem is that the education system is geared totally towards passing the exams in order to look good in league tables. This is why those leaving the system struggle with anything that wasn't in the curriculum.

The system is failing the young because the system is designed to be self serving and not to serve the needs of the students. This is also why private education still tends to give students a better start - they can afford to do more with them and the parents also have an interest in keeping an eye on what their offspring are doing.

For the last 20 years, exam results have been improving and yet young people are increasingly useless at anything that isn't related to passing those exams. The system is failing them and those responsible should be ashamed of themselves! 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #346962 Fri Jun 15 2012 12:41am
Ballsy

I toetally agre wiv RRSTDV8 about the qualaty of speeling and speeking. Rolling with laughter

When i sat my exams for studying at school all we kept doing was past papers, basically the same questions as previous years but with slightly different wording, essentially the same thing. This is only geared towards the schools pass rate and not the students education.

I sound like I'm auld when i say this but the attitude and discipline of the young folk is quite appalling, I maybe looking back with blinkers on but I'm sure it wasn't as bad when i was at school.
Why study and learn when they can have a bairn or 2 and live off the state Rolling Eyes

Post #346975 Fri Jun 15 2012 8:32am
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Have just pulled our youngest out of the state education system exactly for the reasons described.

Costing me and arm and a leg, but worth it in the long run.

Jim

Post #346984 Fri Jun 15 2012 9:24am
kieltdv8

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Jim

Your dead right.

It is not just the quality of the education but the confidence and the general moral attitude that are instilled.

The school staff and the parents both have the same goals for the children.

If there is any struggle with the curriculum it is spotted and nipped in the bud.

In our case there has been no regrets

cheers Kiel

Post #347078 Fri Jun 15 2012 5:49pm
Jonathan

England 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Judging by some members of this very forum, it's not only the young that have been failed by the education system; an inability to spell seems very common, for example. Rolling Eyes

The article raises two issues, the first being a failure in basic manners. This is a parental issue, not a school issue. The second problem is that the education system is geared totally towards passing the exams in order to look good in league tables. This is why those leaving the system struggle with anything that wasn't in the curriculum.

The system is failing the young because the system is designed to be self serving and not to serve the needs of the students. This is also why private education still tends to give students a better start - they can afford to do more with them and the parents also have an interest in keeping an eye on what their offspring are doing.

For the last 20 years, exam results have been improving and yet young people are increasingly useless at anything that isn't related to passing those exams. The system is failing them and those responsible should be ashamed of themselves!

Excessive use of a comma in the final paragraph. Other then that, perfect English, "innitt" Jaguar XKR Convertible
MY 2012 Range Rover Sport TDV6 Autobiography in Fujian White....Mmmmmmm
Range Rover Evoque 2.2 Prestige in white - gone
Porsche Boxster S White with lots of extras! Gone
Lotus Elise 2011 Touring for sunny days - gone!

Previously....
RRS TDV8 Black 57 Plate
645ci
Jag XKR Convertible (my wife still loves this car!)
BMW 530i
BMW 328i (I loved this car)
Golf R32

Post #347138 Fri Jun 15 2012 11:03pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Excessive comma use? Really? The first part of the paragraph is optional and could be removed without rendering the remainder incorrect. I believe that is the correct use of the comma in this instance.

I will ignore your incorrect spelling of "than" in the second phrase. Oops. Wink

I believe the phrase "hoisted with your own petard" might apply... Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #347146 Fri Jun 15 2012 11:47pm
Sag

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I came out of secondary education less than 10 years ago and speaking to the youth of today makes me worry about their future, and more so the future of this country.

This is taken directly from a Twitter message sent to me by my 15 year old cousin a few weeks ago:

"omd ma dad neerly reked ma plans thank god he dint"

Laughing LCFC. Receiver of threatening letters from Overfinch.

Post #347151 Sat Jun 16 2012 12:23am
Jonathan

England 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Excessive comma use? Really? The first part of the paragraph is optional and could be removed without rendering the remainder incorrect. I believe that is the correct use of the comma in this instance.

I will ignore your incorrect spelling of "than" in the second phrase. Oops. Wink

I believe the phrase "hoisted with your own petard" might apply... Thumbs Up

Ha ha, good to see humour hasn't left the forum. "petard" ..... like that..... Jaguar XKR Convertible
MY 2012 Range Rover Sport TDV6 Autobiography in Fujian White....Mmmmmmm
Range Rover Evoque 2.2 Prestige in white - gone
Porsche Boxster S White with lots of extras! Gone
Lotus Elise 2011 Touring for sunny days - gone!

Previously....
RRS TDV8 Black 57 Plate
645ci
Jag XKR Convertible (my wife still loves this car!)
BMW 530i
BMW 328i (I loved this car)
Golf R32

Post #347335 Sun Jun 17 2012 9:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1