RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Clever dealer number plate marketing!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Didier_Jason

South Africa 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
Clever dealer number plate marketing!

Friday morning I have 4 colleagues in my RRS, as I hit the onramp to the motorway this traffic cop jumps out in front of me. This is common practice here, drive an expensive car and expect to get stopped.....these guys are hoping to find something wrong, quote you the fine and then indirectly try and get a bribe out of you!

So they check out my drivers license (all in order), walks to the front of the car and starts pointing at the number plate area.... oops I think he's just spotted the laser jammers, walks back to my window and informs me my number plate is illegal (not a standard size), I had pointed this out to the dealer on collection of the vehicle and he was adamant it was and that they do all their RRS's like that.... fine I said, if i get caught you're paying the fine!

Traffic cop now heads off to the back of the car and then signals me to come and take a look, turns out the rear plate is also illegal (this has the name of the dealership printed at the bottom of the plate)..... anyway I think I just ruined this cop's day, he was horrified that I wasn't interested in negotiating and would rather take the much larger official fine which also meant he actually had to do some work and start putting pen to paper!

Yesterday I head off to the dealer, fine in hand ready for a confrontation, I'm waiting in reception for the DP to finish with another customer, finally I walks up to me, see's the little pink slip in my hand and says "number plates?', here's the surprise I don't have to fight at all, he takes the slip and says no probs they'll pay it..... now i'm a little distressed how easy this was and that he hasn't offered me a new set of plates so I question the logic, turns out it's all about marketing, all the vehicles they deliver have their name on the plate and i'm the first person to get caught (typical).... so when put into perspective the R400 (about 35 GBP) they may have to pay when a customer encounters a difficult cop is very cost effective marketing!

Told the dealer I could have got it cheaper if they didn't need a receipt Wink

Post #32275 Sun May 14 2006 9:45pm
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Laughing And I thought our 'Rozzers' were a bunch of wa Censored rs!

Well they are, but not as bad as your lot! Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #32355 Mon May 15 2006 10:10am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Wait until you drive through Italy and Greece then! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #32378 Mon May 15 2006 10:54am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

You've spoilt the surprise now Tim. Laughing Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #32380 Mon May 15 2006 10:55am
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

I'm relying on the Italian's to be car mad and not having seen many RRS's. Failing that, they have an eye for the ladies and Mrs ST will weave her magic!

Greece, they're so used to chasing Byron in his S/C that they won't be interested in a TDV6 - We'll slip in and out of Greece without them registering an interest.

Of course, again we'll probably have to resort to the Mrs ST ploy yet again..... Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #32394 Mon May 15 2006 11:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1