Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Thinking about it
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

shaggyha

England 
Thinking about it

Hi Guys
Just joined your forum, am currently thinking about buying a sport in diesel but before doing so would welcome an honest assesment on the vehicle. Have just sold my Touareg V10, which once the problems were sorted was a fine car, and was pleasantly surprised by the RR sport diesel performance in comparison with the VW.

Post #31301 Wed May 10 2006 2:14pm
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

First things first - if you think the performance of the TDV6 is comparable with V10 Touareg I would question your test drive!

RRS is overall a more refined 4x4 than any of the competitors I drove (All of them) except maybe the D3. TDV6 engine is without doubt THE most refined TD I've ever driven. Does lack a pit of go though (190bhp will never overcome 2.5 tonne weight), however a few have opted to chip it up to around 235bhp + big torque gain.

Build quality is probably comparable to VW.

Standard kit count is amazing and to spec up ML320CDI Sport to equivalent will cost you more.

There is not a better looking 4x4 on the road. Add dynamic pack and it will handle better and look even better with Brembo's and 20" wheels.

Honest enough? Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #31302 Wed May 10 2006 2:21pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

shaggyha - do a search for Biggles - he recently changed his Sport for a Tiuareg V10. pm him and I'm sure he'll give you a good comparison. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #31304 Wed May 10 2006 2:25pm
shaggyha

England 

Thanks guys for input yes biggles has posted on the Touareg site and said he had a lot of problems with the RRsport. So far he is the only one I have found. Most people I speak to seem impressed with build quality. As regards the test drive comparison, what I meant was performance was a lot better than I had expected from a vehicle with half the engine size of the V10.Especially as weight is comparable for both vehicles. The VW was a lovely car to drive and if you booted it the power was awsome, but who wants to keep looking out for cameras and unmarked police cars all the time. The thing that let the V10 down was horrendous tyre wear, diabolical back up from VW, lack of bluetooth for telephone and silly things that were not there that you would expect to be there parting with kind of dosh.

Post #31305 Wed May 10 2006 2:38pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

A lot of us have mentioned that the RRS mellows you're driving style, so if you're into avoiding plod and revenue-generation (sorry, safety) cameras it should suit you down to the ground! Thumbs Up 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #31307 Wed May 10 2006 2:40pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

shaggyha - the RRS is a great car but as with all cars you will get some lemons. The ride on the RRS is superb and is by far the most comfortable car I've driven. If you want a safe, comfortable journey the RRS is for you - the VW V10 will knock win hands down for speed but a funny thing happens in a RRS - you don't want to drive fast! The RRS is also a great looking car and will probably not be reoalced for 6 or so years whereas the Tourareg probably is due to be repalced within a couple years. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #31308 Wed May 10 2006 2:42pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

You dont even have to ask .... Rolling Eyes 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC
--------------------------------------------------------------
WINNER - 2009 �Best Avatar� Award
WINNER - 2009 Comedian Of The Year Award

Post #31315 Wed May 10 2006 2:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer

United Kingdom 

Supertrotter wrote:
RRS is overall a more refined 4x4 than any of the competitors I drove (All of them) except maybe the D3.
I'm never going to let you forget that statement, an admission that the D3 is as good if not better than the RRS if ever I saw one! Razz 

Post #31411 Wed May 10 2006 6:42pm
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

SuperT Shocked What did you say Exclamation Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #31412 Wed May 10 2006 6:48pm
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

TB wrote:
SuperT Shocked What did you say Exclamation

Are you going to disagree?

RRS is vastly superior car unless what you want out of a car is a pipe & slippers smooth ride quality.

Other than space for fellow Pikeys, this is the only area D3 beats a RRS - Even the most dyed in the wool RRS fan would have to agree on that.

If I thought D3 was a better car, I'd have bought one. As it is, I don't work for BT so don't need a Transit Connect.

End of......... Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #31413 Wed May 10 2006 6:54pm
Slimer

United Kingdom 

Too late to try and take it back now, you've said it Laughing 

Post #31414 Wed May 10 2006 6:57pm
tony benett

[quote="Slimer"I'm never going to let you forget that statement, an admission that the D3 is as good if not better than the RRS if ever I saw one! Razz[/quote]

Are you mad slimey type person?
RR have been dubious since they stopped making the classic Very Happy what ho, where's the bling
T

Post #31420 Wed May 10 2006 7:28pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

A crack in your otherwise smooth veneer there, Super!! How long have we been saying that we shouldn't have let northerners and D3 owners onto this site!! Shocked 

Post #31421 Wed May 10 2006 7:30pm
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

No, I agree with SuperT.

If I was to post my favourite top three 4 x 4's I would go for:

1. Range Rover Sport (naturally)

2. Disco 3

3. P38 Range Rover.

I suppose you would all expect nothing else from me, given where I work. But in all the time I have been at the place I have only ever seen two new models that I have liked first time I laid eyes on them.

The Range Rover Sport is just in a class of its own as far as style goes. By far the best looking vehicle ever built at Solihull.

Disco 3 has a presence about it. Its hard to explain but it does look the business out on the road.

The P38 Range Rover however is a little bit different. When we first started manufacturing these back in the mid '90's I thought it was disgusting. I thought the design team had come up with a real lemon. How could something that looked like a London black cab replace the style icon that was the Range Rover Classic. Having said that, I have really taken to the shape and style since it has gone out of production. I now think it is better looking than the current full fat Range Rover. Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #31426 Wed May 10 2006 7:40pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

TB wrote:
Disco 3 has a presence about it. Its hard to explain but it does look the business out on the road.

It does look the business. The courier business! Wink

TB wrote:
The P38 Range Rover however is a little bit different. When we first started manufacturing these back in the mid '90's I thought it was disgusting. I thought the design team had come up with a real lemon. How could something that looked like a London black cab replace the style icon that was the Range Rover Classic. Having said that, I have really taken to the shape and style since it has gone out of production. I now think it is better looking than the current full fat Range Rover.

Actually I agree with you there - the P38 does look better for the most part than the current FFRR. I also think that the interior of the L322 could have been a lot better. Compare it to the RRS and it's not in the same ballpark. 

Post #31428 Wed May 10 2006 7:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>