Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Tips & Tricks > Peanut Butter - The Ultimate Plastic Restorer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

anyone4apint

United Kingdom 
Peanut Butter - The Ultimate Plastic Restorer

Hi Folks,

I had to post this on here as I am absolutely shocked at how good this tip has proven to be and whilst your all going to think I have lost my mind, I love this tip.

A while ago I bought a GT4 on which all the plastics were horribly faded and white and were in need of aesthetic restoration. The car was a cheap track toy so I didn’t want to use my usual Mcguire's or AutoGlym on it and was looking for a cheap alternative - someone suggested peanut butter. The logic was that all the best plastic restoration products are based on natural nut oils and peanut butter is just a big tub of that.

As the car was just a cheap track toy I thought I would give it a go and, as you can see from the pics, the results were stunning. The restoration was instant, effortless and surprisingly it lasted just as long as the 'real' products.

After doing this for 6 months on a cheap toy I finally used it on the Sport today and the results speak for themselves.

I know its random as hell, but if you want a quick and cheap way to make your plastic trim look like new, then a 1 quid pot of peanut butter and a j-cloth is all you need. Just make sure you buy the smooth stuff rather than crunchy lol. Just put a tiny bit on the cloth, rub it in, then use a clean bit of cloth to rub it off, use it just like polish. You can use it on all of the dark plastics on the car, 5 mins will restore the trim at the bottom of the doors, window seals, plastic on the front and rear A frame, mirrors, etc. Here are the results:

Sport
Before:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

After:
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

GT4
Before:
Click image to enlarge

After:
Click image to enlarge

Half Way Done:
Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  -[RRS 4.4 v8 HSE ]-

Last edited by anyone4apint on Mon Aug 29 2011 5:32pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #311858 Mon Aug 29 2011 5:21pm
Siberianfox

England 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Siberian Silver

Great tip ! Ill defo remember this. Probably the reason that Peanut butter was invited as it should never be eaten !!!

Bow down Smile

Post #311859 Mon Aug 29 2011 5:30pm
firstinretail

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 Siberian Silver

your either a genius or having a laugh, whos trying its first Whistle

Post #311860 Mon Aug 29 2011 5:33pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Peanut butter has been mentioned a fair few times in car cleaning threads I have read, looks to have worked quite well, I suppose it's time that will tell if it has cleaned it or masked the discolouring

Post #311862 Mon Aug 29 2011 5:37pm
anyone4apint

United Kingdom 

npinks wrote:
Peanut butter has been mentioned a fair few times in car cleaning threads I have read, looks to have worked quite well, I suppose it's time that will tell if it has cleaned it or masked the discolouring

On the GT4 it cleaned / fixed it just as well as a AutoGlym over a period of about 6 months Smile

If its scratched / damaged then it will just mask it and the scratch will come back in a month or two, but if its just showing its age or has marks on it then it will totally fix it. Its basicly a polish for your plastics.

There are a bunch of videos on youtube about it - this gives a pretty good example  -[RRS 4.4 v8 HSE ]-

Post #311863 Mon Aug 29 2011 5:44pm
Endjin

Scotland 

Rolling with laughter That's amazing..... A real mad scientist type of solution.... Love it Thumbs Up

There is only one possible issue I can foresee with this method......... Do you now have lots of wasps and flys following your cars everywhere?.... Whistle Laughing Wink 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

GONE - RRS - 3.0 TDV6 HSE - Santorini (2010)
GONE - RRS - 2.7 TDV6 HSE - Java Black (2007)
GONE - Porsche Boxster S - 3.2 - Black

Last edited by Endjin on Mon Aug 29 2011 6:34pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #311866 Mon Aug 29 2011 6:34pm
The Kergan

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Nara Bronze

I can't use it on my RRS. The neighbours would call the local funny farm and tell them I'm outside licking my trims Laughing 2017 Range Rover Sport Autobiography

Post #311867 Mon Aug 29 2011 6:34pm
firstinretail

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 Siberian Silver

i wonder if it works on tyres ??????

Post #311870 Mon Aug 29 2011 6:49pm
anyone4apint

United Kingdom 

firstinretail wrote:
i wonder if it works on tyres ??????

It does, but it is STRONGLY recommended NOT to. From an aesthetic point of view, it will kick the arse of any off the shelf tyre blackening product as they are all water based which is why they never last. However, because its oil based it can seriously screw up your breaking. Best avoided. -[RRS 4.4 v8 HSE ]-

Post #311871 Mon Aug 29 2011 7:24pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Ive used it before and got the wrong stuff Shocked it was all lumpy and i had to drive the nuts off my car Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #311872 Mon Aug 29 2011 7:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ellivas

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

I saw this tip on "Wrecks to Riches" over the weekend, it's something to do with the oil in the nuts that makes it work Whistle You must make sure you get the smooth stuff though.

Post #311922 Tue Aug 30 2011 9:10am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

is there any associated smell? L wouldn't want all the local dogs coming round to lick my car.

Final point - if it's the oil then why not use ground nut oil rather than mess about with peanut butter?

Post #312030 Wed Aug 31 2011 6:10am
anyone4apint

United Kingdom 

No smell what-so-ever. You put it on and you buff it off a minuet later. Im sure if you left it on then it would smell and you would have bees chasing you, but in reality you get none of that.

As for why not ground nut oil, if I had some in my cupboard I would give it a go on my cheap track toy first. Don't see why it wouldn't work. It might be a little too viscous to apply as easily and I imagine you would get lots dropping onto the paint etc, but it would probably do the job. -[RRS 4.4 v8 HSE ]-

Post #312041 Wed Aug 31 2011 8:44am
rr5port

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Great Tip, book me into the funny farm. Bow down

I now have a jar of tesco smooth peanut butter living next to all my expensive polishes and waxes.

Post #312459 Sat Sep 03 2011 9:24pm
carbostar

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

I might be to late, but i have a mate who has a nut allergy,and a situation like this he would on this occasion come into contact with nut products smeared across the plastic, I might be a good idea to put a sticker prominently placed : this car contains nuts or do all your mates know that all reddy? Rolling Eyes [/b] a womans rule of thumb:if it has tyres or testicles your going to have trouble with it

Post #315588 Thu Sep 29 2011 10:22am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>