RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > testing a theory??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

tommy-boy

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
testing a theory??

Would i be right in thinking that the "sunlight sensor" located at the front of the dash in the middle (little dome bit) is the module that controlls the auto lights on / off??

reason i ask is that since taking ownership of my 08My HSE i compare everything with my previous Audi A4 Avant 08 (one with the day running LED's)

now on my old Audi i could change the settings of the auto lights so that they came on/off depending on how dark it was. I know this isnt possible on the RRS however if the sunlight sensor is the module that controlls the lights could i trick it into thinking it was darker than it actully is??

i dont feel that the auto lights are activated soon enough, so i was woundering if i coverd the sensor with an old lense out of some sunglasses that they would be activated earlier? 08MY HSE 3.6 TDV8 Stornoway Grey, Twisted performance cat back... and shed loads of extras!!!

Post #288809 Fri Feb 11 2011 8:35pm
Nik

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Re: testing a theory??

I agree RRS auto lights don't come on soon enough especially when overcast, as for you experiment, go for it and share the results.
Nik

tommy-boy wrote:
Would i be right in thinking that the "sunlight sensor" located at the front of the dash in the middle (little dome bit) is the module that controlls the auto lights on / off??

reason i ask is that since taking ownership of my 08My HSE i compare everything with my previous Audi A4 Avant 08 (one with the day running LED's)

now on my old Audi i could change the settings of the auto lights so that they came on/off depending on how dark it was. I know this isnt possible on the RRS however if the sunlight sensor is the module that controlls the lights could i trick it into thinking it was darker than it actully is??

i dont feel that the auto lights are activated soon enough, so i was woundering if i coverd the sensor with an old lense out of some sunglasses that they would be activated earlier?
 2015 Golf R DSG
Gone 2013 Mercedes C220 CDi AMG Sport Plus
Gone 2008 2.7 RRS HSE

Post #288817 Fri Feb 11 2011 10:06pm
tommy-boy

Will give it a bash and let you know.

I did travel 300 miles south down the M1 on Thursday and it did get very overcast and dull. Certainly dark enough to want to put my lights on. And my Audi would have turned them on by that point. But I had cruse with FA on and was basicly leaning forward covering the sensor with my hand, this had no effect at all, didn't trick them on. I had to eventually turn the switch myself...... What a flippen ball ache!!! Haha

Will do some playing tomorrow and let you know. 08MY HSE 3.6 TDV8 Stornoway Grey, Twisted performance cat back... and shed loads of extras!!!

Post #288822 Fri Feb 11 2011 10:18pm
BIG DJ

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

The senor for the auto lights is behind the interior mirror not on the dash.

Post #288823 Fri Feb 11 2011 10:26pm
Nik

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Was about to say that as that's where it is on the wife's golf, same place as the auto wipers sensor.
What's the thing on the dash then?

BIG DJ wrote:
The senor for the auto lights is behind the interior mirror not on the dash.
 2015 Golf R DSG
Gone 2013 Mercedes C220 CDi AMG Sport Plus
Gone 2008 2.7 RRS HSE

Post #288826 Fri Feb 11 2011 10:34pm
BIG DJ

No too sure bout the one on the dash Exclamation

Post #288827 Fri Feb 11 2011 10:42pm
tommy-boy

As above?? As the one on the dash is referred to by LR as the "daylight sensor" I have it on some systematics, exploded diagrams of a dash removal.

Sure the one on the screen is for auto wipers. Is it not possibly diffrent on MY?? I'm refuring to 08my 08MY HSE 3.6 TDV8 Stornoway Grey, Twisted performance cat back... and shed loads of extras!!!

Post #288828 Fri Feb 11 2011 10:43pm
BIG DJ

Two sensors on the screen. One for wipers and one for lights. I checked this the other day funny enough and covered both. One on dash seemed to do nothing and when covering the windscreen the lights came on Thumbs Up

Post #288829 Fri Feb 11 2011 10:46pm
tommy-boy

So to continue with the theory. Possibly a small bit of vinyl or window tinting film covering the sensor should work?

I'll be getting my windows tinted soon, so I'll ask for some samples diffrent grades and see if this works. Problem I can now see is that if it does work, the film wouldn't weather paticulary well being external?

Or possibly slide some film between the windscreen and sensor. Will have a good look tomorrow and inform of my results. 08MY HSE 3.6 TDV8 Stornoway Grey, Twisted performance cat back... and shed loads of extras!!!

Post #288830 Fri Feb 11 2011 11:01pm
BIG DJ

That would be an option Thumbs Up

Other way I've just thought of is the tinting spray you can get that the chav's do there rear lights with Question Only issue would be if it was tinted too much with the spray as you wouldn't be able to remove it.

Post #288831 Fri Feb 11 2011 11:06pm
KiwiRRS

New Zealand 

the dome on the dash is the sunlight sensor for the airconditioning system. It lets the aircon know how much sunlight is entering the cabin so it can adjust the temp when on auto. the light sensor is behind the mirror. and yes it does come on too late.

Post #288840 Sat Feb 12 2011 3:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1