RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Warranty issue on imported vehicle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Benidorm Mick

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
Warranty issue on imported vehicle

Hey guys. Put the beast in for an alternator fault last month. Dealer done the repair but said an issue was raised about the warranty by LR. I bought the car new in June 2008 from a high end car dealer in London (not LR dealership) 10 delivery miles on the clock and brand spanking new. First registration 1st June 2008. Now LR are saying the car is an import from an LR dealer in Malta and even though it was new when i bought it, as far as theyre concerned, the car left the factory in Nov 2007 and that's when the warranty started. Hence the dealer is saying he wants money from me...
Called LR Cust Care who didnt care...

Anyone have any ideas on the legal position with this and any similar experience???? Appreciate any info

Post #286511 Fri Jan 21 2011 5:05pm
Jimmy_75000

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

You should raise it with the high end car dealer in London...If LandRover won't pay, maybe they would... Range Rover Vogue ‘17 TDV6

Gone: Range Rover Vogue '11 4.4TDV8, Range Rover Sport ‘59, Range Rover Sport ‘56

Post #286517 Fri Jan 21 2011 5:35pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Are you the first owner or was the garage?

I thought the warranty went from first registration, as a car could leave the factory and be on a dealers forcourt for months, but with it been a non LR garage, they would have had to purchase it and that's when the warranty started

I think that make sense Embarassed

Post #286519 Fri Jan 21 2011 5:47pm
ChrisP

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I think this may be complicated by the date of the 1st UK registration.
Some years ago I knowingly bought an E320cdi AG from the authorised MB dealer in Sheffield which was UK registered when it was imported back into the UK having been bought by an RAF chap from MB Export Park Lane and then exported to Germany and the VAT claimed back.
He effectively had a free car for 6 months and I got a £45K car for £36K but it was always classed as an import and logged as such on the registration document so when I came to sell it 5 years later nobody would touch it with a bargepole and I ended up getting £5 1/2K for it against another MB an E280.
If this is the case and you weren't informed by the supplying dealer to explain why it was so cheap then I would think you would have a case of misrepresentation as not only is it not warranted it could be worth next to nothing when you try to sell it.
What does it say on the registration document ,who is/are the previous owner/s named? MY2011 HSE Santorini/Ivory/Piano Black/Privacy Glass/TV .Sadly gone.
Audi A5 Sportback Black Edition 3.0 tdi quattro S Line

Last edited by ChrisP on Fri Jan 21 2011 8:29pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #286523 Fri Jan 21 2011 6:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Benidorm Mick

Thanks for the feedback chaps. Ok, car was brand new when I bought it. Just delivery miles on the clock and trade plates. Date of first registration is 1st June 2008. No previous owners. And it wasn't that cheap. Just a couple of grand less than the lr dealer list price. Garage had 4 new rrs and a few Aston martins so no dodgy stuff. Just a company selling top end vehicles. The vehicle was new so it shouldn't matter if it's been round the world twice as long as it hasn't been driven surely????

Post #286530 Fri Jan 21 2011 7:40pm
ChrisP

Not sure how it could have gone out to Malta and then back in without it being registered as an import so the supplying London dealer has a lot of explaining to do if LR are sure that was the route of supply.
Seems to me that it could have been some sort of VAT fiddle or just an honest mistake I suppose,hope you can get it sorted out OK. MY2011 HSE Santorini/Ivory/Piano Black/Privacy Glass/TV .Sadly gone.

Post #286537 Fri Jan 21 2011 8:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BIG DJ

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I would imagine you have another issue there also. If LR are saying it's an import be careful with your insurance company that they don't say it's an import in the event of an accident and say you've invalidated your insurance by not declaring it as an import.

Post #286539 Fri Jan 21 2011 8:57pm
lespes

Guernsey 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

It would say on the log book if an imported vechicle and then the first reg date in the UK.

I would presume it would depend on whether registration had taken place in Malta for it to of been declared an import or just a normal first reg, as thousands of cars come into the UK from other countries and are not declared imports on the Log book.

As for insurance most personel imports are of a different spec to UK regs so insurance companies need to know.

To be safe though look like you will need to find out more info from dealer who supplied before doing anything else.

It could also be that landrover have the wrong records, Whistle

Post #286556 Sat Jan 22 2011 12:47am
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

npinks wrote:
I thought the warranty went from first registration..

I believe that would be the case.
Never mind when the car was manufactured and where the car has been - once registered, the warranty countdown begins! Smile Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #286564 Sat Jan 22 2011 6:09am
Benidorm Mick

I really can't believe LR are making an issue out of this. They've seen the reg doc so the know it's first registered in the UK. They're saying their records show the car was sold through a LR dealer in Malta. Chances are the car never even left the UK. LR in the UK won't sell their vehicles to anyone other than LR dealers and the government. So the only way for a garage to get hold of one is to purchase from outside the UK. That doesn't mean the vehicle isn't new. It's just came a different route. And at the end of the day, it's still another Rrs sold. I really can't believe they're messing me about over 6 months warranty. This is a 50k+ car for fx sake. Not a fn skoda. Now TH White want their payment for the alternator and LR are fkng me about. This is not good.....

Post #286566 Sat Jan 22 2011 9:22am
ChrisP

Bobby,
That's what I was trying to explain from my experience with my imported MB.
That was registered and exported to Germany BUT was 1st registered in the UK when it came back in 6 months later.
Whenever there was a query there was confusion because on the log book it said August but on the warranty it was classed as 6 months previously.
This was done purely to save the VAT and I was fully aware of the implications but the cost saving was huge as effectively I was getting a new car and saved about £9K.
Perhaps in this case it was exported but never registered and then came back in some time later and therefore the 1st registration was in the UK in which case surely that is when the warranty starts just as if it was one of those cars that sat on airfields for years???
It would be interested to know what the VAT status is not sure how you would find out? MY2011 HSE Santorini/Ivory/Piano Black/Privacy Glass/TV .Sadly gone.

Post #286567 Sat Jan 22 2011 9:29am
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

Yes, you're absolutely right, ChrisP.

BM, when the RRS first came out I and a few others in my country placed a booking. The cars arrived at our port but due to some import irregularities etc. the 2005MY cars sat at the port for nearly a year!! By then the 2006MY cars arrived and after a couple of months all the cars were released. All of them had their warranties begin on the day they were registered locally! The cars can go round the world a couple of times for all you care but the warranty can only begin upon registration!!

You should ask LR for proof that the car was previously registered elswhere and if they can do it then you can sue the dealer you bought from for misrepresentation. They told you it was new.

Alternatively, why not contact some friendly dealer on the forum and let them check your VIN. They can verify the history of your vehicle. Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #286582 Sat Jan 22 2011 12:48pm
islider

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Java Black

Not much help, but an independent dealer near to me sells imported RRSs.

Have heard of issues with LR not honouring warranty claims, from the local Main Dealer.

But these cars are registered abroad first, before importing back to the UK and that is where the issue lies. These were registered in Spain, and story I heard was the owners were getting goodwill work done but officially could be refferred back to LR Spain when issues were getting messy.

These were on 12 months and younger cars, to the UK owner anyway, so well within the 3yr man wty.

Your situation sounds much more clear that your Wty should run from the car's first registration which was here in the UK.

Good Luck sorting with LR, doesn't sound like one that the LRCC reps can handle on their own. Maybe you should try and escalate up at LRCC quickly.

Post #286592 Sat Jan 22 2011 1:59pm
Benidorm Mick

Hey lads. Thanks again for the input. I think this is what forums are for. Share the knowledge and collectively we are strong. I'm not accepting LR's position and I will go legal if required. Unless bringing the vehicle back into the UK was illegal, then I bought a new car with full warranty, simple as that.

Post #286595 Sat Jan 22 2011 3:17pm
jed.w

United Kingdom 

I came across a similar thing when I tried to buy an RRS last year.

Lovely car, high spec and the dealer told me it was originally an import. I paid a £500 deposit and rang my insurer to get cover. They would not insure the car for the value that I was paying because they said it was not an original UK registered car. So, I either bought it and the insurance cover was nearly ten grand less than what I was to pay or walk away.

I walked away and good enough the dealer gave me my £500 back!

jed.w Cool SDV6 HSE Sport2 - Santorini Black, Ebony Interior, Pano Roof, Things I haven't found yet!

TDV6 HSE, Java Black, Black Premium Leather, Privacy, LR Side Steps, Smoked Side Repeaters, SC Vents and lots of toys!

Post #286603 Sat Jan 22 2011 7:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>