Home > Technical > Cold starting problem TDV8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>

Tboner

England 

Tboner wrote:
Old Stager wrote:
Now now boys...

...getting this thread back on track Wink , I've had a further development with my cold starting problem. Basically, it has started first time for the last two mornings, temps -2 and -9 respectively Very Happy . This is a massive step forward and here's what I've done differently: instead of following the instructions in the handbook, I have turned the ignition on without pressing the brake, waited for the glowplug light to go out, then pressed the brake & the start button. It starts first time, with almost no delay for a "cold start procedure". I repeat, this is NOT how the handbook tells you to start the car (but it's how I've started every other diesel I've ever had) Exclamation

My question to other MY10 TDV8 owners is: what cold start procedure do you follow Question

Will try this tomm its -16 here at the moment -10 this morning took 8 attempts for it to fire up and stay running will let you know

Tried that on my10 car this morning still the same My09 car fires first time MY10 car takes at least a dozen attempts to start then as we have posted before, runs rough while it clears out the litre of fuel in its downpipes and sends smoke signals to the whole of the EU Sad . even gave the battery a top up trickle charge overnight was fully charged this morning so its not the battery. Got to be glow plugs or injectors IMO but as it does not log a fault !!

Once it has started it is fine restarts on the button every time for the rest of the day 2014 5.0SC AB

Gone 5.0 SC

Post #283547 Mon Dec 20 2010 12:10pm
RichardM

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green

RichardM wrote:
For me it's foot on the brake, press and hold the start button. Cold start message will appear followed by a fair wait but then the engine fires into action. It never fails to start (since I had the new starter motor).

It was -10 here this morning and I started it this way and it started first time and ran fine. WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

2010 TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Adaptive Cruise - Sunroof - Privacy Glass - 5 Spoke Alloys
2009 TDV6 3.0 HSE Buckingham Blue - GONE

Post #283556 Mon Dec 20 2010 1:11pm
Tboner

England 

RichardM wrote:
RichardM wrote:
For me it's foot on the brake, press and hold the start button. Cold start message will appear followed by a fair wait but then the engine fires into action. It never fails to start (since I had the new starter motor).

It was -10 here this morning and I started it this way and it started first time and ran fine.

What was it doing before the new Starter Motor ? 2014 5.0SC AB

Gone 5.0 SC

Post #283557 Mon Dec 20 2010 1:35pm
RichardM

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green

RichardM wrote:
greg wrote:
Symptoms: usual starting procedure ,message advising cold starting...then clicks and off.Not firing at all,
will post update when goes into dealership tomorrow.

Mine had this and I had to have a new started motor which cured it. Starts first time every time now. Must be a common issue with the MY10 TDV8 as I had to wait for the part as it was on back order.

I just got a 'click' after the cold start message and then nothing else, its like the starter motor was sticking. WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

2010 TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Adaptive Cruise - Sunroof - Privacy Glass - 5 Spoke Alloys
2009 TDV6 3.0 HSE Buckingham Blue - GONE

Post #283586 Mon Dec 20 2010 5:16pm
Tboner

England 

RichardM wrote:
RichardM wrote:
greg wrote:
Symptoms: usual starting procedure ,message advising cold starting...then clicks and off.Not firing at all,
will post update when goes into dealership tomorrow.

Mine had this and I had to have a new started motor which cured it. Starts first time every time now. Must be a common issue with the MY10 TDV8 as I had to wait for the part as it was on back order.

I just got a 'click' after the cold start message and then nothing else, its like the starter motor was sticking.

Different issue to what this thread was about i think , that is a duff stater motor or dead battey when the solenoid clicks 2014 5.0SC AB

Gone 5.0 SC

Post #283587 Mon Dec 20 2010 5:24pm
Old Stager

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Tboner wrote:
Tboner wrote:
Old Stager wrote:
Now now boys...

...getting this thread back on track Wink , I've had a further development with my cold starting problem. Basically, it has started first time for the last two mornings, temps -2 and -9 respectively Very Happy . This is a massive step forward and here's what I've done differently: instead of following the instructions in the handbook, I have turned the ignition on without pressing the brake, waited for the glowplug light to go out, then pressed the brake & the start button. It starts first time, with almost no delay for a "cold start procedure". I repeat, this is NOT how the handbook tells you to start the car (but it's how I've started every other diesel I've ever had) Exclamation

My question to other MY10 TDV8 owners is: what cold start procedure do you follow Question

Will try this tomm its -16 here at the moment -10 this morning took 8 attempts for it to fire up and stay running will let you know

Tried that on my10 car this morning still the same My09 car fires first time MY10 car takes at least a dozen attempts to start then as we have posted before, runs rough while it clears out the litre of fuel in its downpipes and sends smoke signals to the whole of the EU Sad . even gave the battery a top up trickle charge overnight was fully charged this morning so its not the battery. Got to be glow plugs or injectors IMO but as it does not log a fault !!

Once it has started it is fine restarts on the button every time for the rest of the day

-10 this morning here and it took 8 attempts to start, despite using my 'new' starting method - so thre's another theory out of the window Sad It was booked to go back into the dealer today, but they had a burst pipe over the weekend and had no water or power today, so booking cancelled. I've decided to live with it over Christmas; it does start in the end and there is always LR Assist to fall back on if all else fails. Have booked it in again on 4th Jan. 14.5MY SDV6 HSE Dynamic Indus silver/lunar/ebony 20" wheels, InControl, full-size spare, electric tow bar, adaptive xenons, adaptive cruise control, auto main beam assist. Gone: TDV8 HSE; Zermatt silver/ebony, 19" off road alloys, active diff, particle filter, tow pack (it was fun) BMW 730D SE (great car, sadly missed). Ford Focus RS mk2, Ultimate green, lux pack 2, bluetooth. The start of my mid-life crisis.
IN THE GARAGE: BMW i8 - the mid-life crisis continues and it's great fun.

Post #283645 Tue Dec 21 2010 12:53am
Old Stager

Just a quick update (& hopefully the final post on this subject). Had the RRS back from the stealer today, after 3 days in their workshop. Replaced a glowplug relay and they say they're 'confident the problem is solved' - we shall see Wink Also replaced the front discs (vibration under braking), front antiroll bar bushes (suspension knocking) and cleaned the parking brake (sticking on). All this on a vehicle that's done less than 9k miles. I'm begining to miss my BMW Sad 14.5MY SDV6 HSE Dynamic Indus silver/lunar/ebony 20" wheels, InControl, full-size spare, electric tow bar, adaptive xenons, adaptive cruise control, auto main beam assist. Gone: TDV8 HSE; Zermatt silver/ebony, 19" off road alloys, active diff, particle filter, tow pack (it was fun) BMW 730D SE (great car, sadly missed). Ford Focus RS mk2, Ultimate green, lux pack 2, bluetooth. The start of my mid-life crisis.

Post #285074 Thu Jan 06 2011 10:17pm
JST

England 

I have exactly the same issue as the OP, did the new glow plug relay fix the issue?

Sorry, edit to add: 10MY RRVSE with 3.6 tdv8

Post #444596 Sun Dec 07 2014 8:47pm
Old Stager

The problem never arose again, but I never really got the chance to try it in really cold weather again either - when I finally got the vehicle back, the very cold snap had finished (if you recall, the winter of 2010/11 had an incredibly cold period -15 degrees C at times IIRC). Sorry if that's not very helpful. Good luck! 14.5MY SDV6 HSE Dynamic Indus silver/lunar/ebony 20" wheels, InControl, full-size spare, electric tow bar, adaptive xenons, adaptive cruise control, auto main beam assist. Gone: TDV8 HSE; Zermatt silver/ebony, 19" off road alloys, active diff, particle filter, tow pack (it was fun) BMW 730D SE (great car, sadly missed). Ford Focus RS mk2, Ultimate green, lux pack 2, bluetooth. The start of my mid-life crisis.

Post #444602 Sun Dec 07 2014 9:25pm
JST

England 

thank you for replying.

i dont suppose you know where the glow plug relays are?

Post #444603 Sun Dec 07 2014 9:41pm
Old Stager

Sorry, no. The car was under warranty at the time and all of the work was carried out by the dealer. 14.5MY SDV6 HSE Dynamic Indus silver/lunar/ebony 20" wheels, InControl, full-size spare, electric tow bar, adaptive xenons, adaptive cruise control, auto main beam assist. Gone: TDV8 HSE; Zermatt silver/ebony, 19" off road alloys, active diff, particle filter, tow pack (it was fun) BMW 730D SE (great car, sadly missed). Ford Focus RS mk2, Ultimate green, lux pack 2, bluetooth. The start of my mid-life crisis.

Post #444608 Sun Dec 07 2014 10:19pm
JST

England 

thank you

idle is ok, its just the actual start up, once its started i runs well

Post #447998 Fri Jan 09 2015 9:57pm
FatJoe

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HST Java Black
Re: Cold start / first start of the day problems.

Triumphted wrote:
All

I found this on the site. I am not suggesting this is everyone's answer - but my 05 Tdv6 struggles on the first start of the day and this is my problem.

There is a LR TSB on this.

I have tried additives etc to clean the injectors, with slight improvement - and currently just live with the 1-2 second inconvenience it causes me.

Have a read and make your own minds up>>

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...0047v2.pdf

John is it likely Land Rover would replace this stuff free of charge for your 05 model? Or is it only for newer ones in warranty?

John

Post #448004 Fri Jan 09 2015 11:04pm
ross24061986

Tdv8 rough cold start up

I have a 2010 rr sport done 157000, full genuine Land Rover servicing by myself as I work for main dealer.

I have tried all but a few items now to resolve the slight judder/ misfire sensation when the car is only cold on start up.

Here is my shopping list already done and tested out so far people: ps all genuine parts

2 new mass air flow meters
2 map sensors
2 top turbo hoses
2 turbo Actuator checks all ok
2 turbo to inter cooler side bore scope camera checks for oil all ok
2 turbo out out shafts checked for play when exhaust was off all ok
2 throttle bodies
2 egr valve head checks all ok
2 rocker cover checks all ok
1 new crank case breather replaced
1 oil filter iand oil of castrol magnatec 5w 30 A5
All fluids drained gear box sump pan and replaced with lr parts and lr oils

Well that's about it, apart from if I put my ear to the drivers wheel arch it makes more of a bop bop bop noise than the
Passenger side.

No dtc's logged in sdd just a chatter noise with the misfire also.

Has anyone repced the timing chains yet cause that's my next job and its BIG!

Post #497228 Sat May 28 2016 8:58pm
JST

England 

i changed to a different type of battery that maintains 12v under load and its solved the problem. went from a numax 100Ah 1000CCA to a 68Ah, 1500PCCA Oddyssy - cold start problem now solved.

in my case i believe it was was the fact that initial startup systems combined with glow plugs took too much out of the battery so the ECU didnt continue to see a true 12v (or whatever voltage it needs) and therefore closed down!

Post #497508 Tue May 31 2016 8:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>