RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Steering Vibration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>

shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

...or an SC! Wink 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #50299 Mon Aug 21 2006 8:55pm
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

I just posted a TSB recently released by LR North America - addressing steering wheel vibrations - on a different thread (scroll down to third message):

http://rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic3929.html

Not sure if it helps those of you who already had rims and tyres replaced and are still experiencing vibrations / shimmy... Hopefully it helps someone. 

Post #58649 Fri Sep 29 2006 7:05am
PaulB

England 

Vibration Update.

My RRS is booked in to Trinity in Hinckley for an apparent fix for the dreaded vibration problem that has plagued my car since new. I wrote to Trinity just before Christmas and c.c.'d it to LR Customer Service telling then that if the fault wasn't rectified pretty damn soon, I wold be either demanding a replacement car or a full refund.
Apparently, the fix relates to the engine/gearbox joint Confused
It is also having its first service at the same time, so I'm getting a few other niggles fixed as well i.e. rear hatch rattle, knocking from underneath (possibly front roll-bar mounting, judging by other threads on here), noisy wipers etc.

I'll post the outcome of the vibration "fix" once it has been done.

Paul

Post #75770 Tue Jan 16 2007 11:14pm
Lateral5

Australia 

PaulB wrote:
Vibration Update.

Paul, you have PM RRS TDV6 Bluetooth, VR, Roof

Post #75790 Wed Jan 17 2007 2:28am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lateral5

Australia 

umbertob wrote:
......Not sure if it helps those of you who already had rims and tyres replaced and are still experiencing vibrations / shimmy... Hopefully it helps someone.

Two quite separate Steering Vibrations in the RRS;

1) One is the wheel shimmy that is like out of balance wheels. The TSB that Umberto mention addresses this problem.

2) The other is as PaulB previously mentioned, a driveline vibration that can be felt through the steering wheel. Basically feels like harmonic whirring through the steering wheel on gear changes and when engine is under load (at least on mine anyway). There is no current TSB on this and LR are investigating on a case by case basis. My car has been in for 45 days now getting this problem sorted.

Oh and yes, my car has 1) as well Crying or Very sad RRS TDV6 Bluetooth, VR, Roof

Post #75793 Wed Jan 17 2007 6:54am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nutty Nige

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Hi there
Just joined your forum today. I took delivery of a new 07 spec on 1st Feb, beutifull for the first 100 miles then when the tyres bedded in on comes the vibration/noise. I agree with the Land Rover engineer who stated its a design characteristic of the V6 because the V8 does not do it, as i have driven a couple. There is a small droaning noise just like a wheel bearing or diff pinion bearing problem. This is worst at about 25-30mph, and you can also feel it through the steering.This is my diagnosis- The engine ressinance is being transmitted through the chassis and into the cabin. as soon as you loose the throttle and are on the overun it goes away. I beleive that the V8 model has electronically controlled engine mounts that keep all this Whistle at bay so as not to cause any unwanted vibrations or noises.
No doubt Land Rover will be looking into it and will have a fix soon - I HOPE. You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

07 TDV6 been and gone. 08 TDV6 been and gone. 08.5 TDV8 in evaluation mode and now gone. BMW 535D M sport Been and gone, Now time for RRS No4 - TDV6 HSE in Stornaway with Ebony - 09 Model 6 months old.
RS Cosworth 4x4 Stage 2 Mint for summer
Audi TT
Astra VXR for the daughter.

Post #85683 Wed Feb 21 2007 12:03pm
Lateral5

Australia 

Nutty Nige wrote:
...No doubt Land Rover will be looking into it and will have a fix soon - I HOPE.

Welcome Nige! You poor Censored ! Don't hold your breath waiting for the answer to come to you. I had the same thing and they ended up replacing torque convertor, hubs, prop shafts, front diff and finally transmission after six months of complaining. It is heaps better now and I hope it stays that way!! I think the front diff replacement had the biggest impact on the steering vibration feedback. Mechanic told me that there was probably a bit of misalingment which flogged out the spider bearing or something along those lines.

Don't give up, it is NOT a characteristic!! RRS TDV6 Bluetooth, VR, Roof

Post #85698 Wed Feb 21 2007 12:31pm
PaulB

England 

Trinity losened all the engine & gearbox mounts and drove it up and down the road a few times to allow the lump to settle down to a correct alignment. Everything was then tightened up again.
This does appear to have significantly improved the stationary vibration, but the vibration whilst on the move as described by Lateral5 in "2" above remains unchanged.

There is a factory fix for the rattling tailgate, which I'm waiting to be fitted.
The knocking from underneath the car remains unchanged. The verdict from JE is that the track-rod ends aren't up to the job and knock themselves out.
The driver's window has been dismantled and lubricated and is now much improved.
The wipers have been replaced under warranty and are much better, but there is an improved version available from the factory and I'm awaiting deleivery.
Mirrors still fail to return to the correct position on occasion after reversing.
Average fuel consumption has dropped from the previous 25mpg to 22mpg for no obvious reason.

Cheers,
Paul

Post #85712 Wed Feb 21 2007 1:04pm
Nutty Nige

Thanks Lateral5
Yes I would agree with the diff, because if it was a car with 100,000k on the clock I would have said the backlash in the diff as soon as i heard it.
My noise and vibe is so small its hardly noticeable, and I only have 280 miles on the clock yet so I am going to keep an eye on it, see if it gets any worse.

Regards You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

07 TDV6 been and gone. 08 TDV6 been and gone. 08.5 TDV8 in evaluation mode and now gone. BMW 535D M sport Been and gone, Now time for RRS No4 - TDV6 HSE in Stornaway with Ebony - 09 Model 6 months old.
Audi TT

Post #85740 Wed Feb 21 2007 3:25pm
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

Nutty Nige wrote:
Thanks Lateral5
Yes I would agree with the diff, because if it was a car with 100,000k on the clock I would have said the backlash in the diff as soon as i heard it.
My noise and vibe is so small its hardly noticeable, and I only have 280 miles on the clock yet so I am going to keep an eye on it, see if it gets any worse.

Regards

Welcome Nutty shouldnt worry to much about it, it may settle down after a few more miles, either that or the other rattles may drown it out Wink what model do you have and post some pics some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #85912 Wed Feb 21 2007 9:08pm
Brian Mason

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

PaulB wrote:
Vibration Update.

My RRS is booked in to Trinity in Hinckley for an apparent fix for the dreaded vibration problem that has plagued my car since new. I wrote to Trinity just before Christmas and c.c.'d it to LR Customer Service telling then that if the fault wasn't rectified pretty damn soon, I wold be either demanding a replacement car or a full refund.
Apparently, the fix relates to the engine/gearbox joint Confused
It is also having its first service at the same time, so I'm getting a few other niggles fixed as well i.e. rear hatch rattle, knocking from underneath (possibly front roll-bar mounting, judging by other threads on here), noisy wipers etc.

I'll post the outcome of the vibration "fix" once it has been done.

Paul

Paul, I get a "thump" on the floor going over bumps and thought it might be the exhaust. As you've got the same other problems as me, tailgate rattle and wipers, I wonder if my problem is the same. Please keep us updated. Good Luck! Thumbs Up

Post #85923 Wed Feb 21 2007 9:20pm
PaulB

England 

Will do Brian Thumbs Up

Post #85956 Wed Feb 21 2007 10:00pm
Brian Mason

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

PaulB wrote:
Will do Brian Thumbs Up

Thanks Paul! Thumbs Up

Post #85964 Wed Feb 21 2007 10:09pm
Lateral5

Australia 

Nutty Nige wrote:
....My noise and vibe is so small its hardly noticeable, and I only have 280 miles on the clock yet so I am going to keep an eye on it, see if it gets any worse.

Regards

That's how mine started, just a slight whirring vibration in my left hand through the steering wheel....ended up as a WHOA, WHOA, WHOA at about 10,000km. At least you know you're not alone! RRS TDV6 Bluetooth, VR, Roof

Post #86209 Thu Feb 22 2007 8:31am
Nutty Nige

Yes ENVOY you might be right.
Thanks for the comments. That really inspires me. Would you not think that after my late Father, a farmer, and myself having gone through about 9 Range Rovers and some Land Rover's and 2 Disco's I would have learnt some sense by now.
I must have that little bug inside me.
Or I am now completely mad.

It is an 07 TDV6 HSE
Lugano Teal
Ivory Leather
20" Ten Spokes

Thumbs Up You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

Audi TT

Post #86214 Thu Feb 22 2007 9:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>