Home > Technical > First issues with new MY10
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

max099

Austria 
First issues with new MY10

Hello everybody,

I have some really annoying issues with my TDV6 HSE MY10:

1) Vibrations in the steering wheel when accelerating / braking (starting with around 100 kph)
---> dealer recalibrated the wheels with no effect. They talked to LR as they cannot find anythin wrong with the car. Question
Waiting for a response from LR now... Confused

2) Squeaking tailgate
---> dealer did a re-ajustment of the tailgate with no effect - tailgate still squeaks

3) Moving driver-seat on accelerating / braking
---> dealer applied the LR repair instructions. It is better now, but still not gone 100%

4) Rattling trunk cover
---> dealer applied some velcro around the edges of the cover, but not cured yet

Issues 1 and 2 (especially 1) are driving me crazy...
I have seen some reports on the forum about vibrations on the steering wheel, but they are old and refer to lower speeds.
Does anybody else have this issue(s)?

Post #251664 Mon Jan 25 2010 4:44am
Markos

Slovenia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Hi Max,

I also had problems with vibrations on the steering wheel when driving between 100-130 kph and like you I also tried and re-calibrated the wheels with almost no effect...Than I spoke with a few people and they told me that the RRS is a very heavy car and when you drive the tires get warm and when you stop the car let say overnight the shape of the tire gets a bit "out of balance". So when you start to drive in the morning the tires have to get warm again and regain its shape and that could be on the highway after 5-10 km.... 2008 RRS TDV8 HSE, Java black, Alpaca,.....

Post #251678 Mon Jan 25 2010 9:31am
max099

Austria 

Hi Markos,

yes - I also heard about the flat tire spots, but the vibration does not go away even after hours on the highway.
I also do not have that problem on my Disco 3 MY08, or on the X5 which are also heavy cars...

Do your vibrations really go away after driving around some time??

Post #251762 Mon Jan 25 2010 2:17pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Are the wheels balanced properly? Maybe a weight has dropped off or something? Confused 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #251774 Mon Jan 25 2010 2:52pm
Markos

What I would do in your case Max I would drive around for some 500km or more and than after that I would do the re-calibration but not at LR dealer but at some other place.
What also can happen sometimes when you change the tires or buy a new car which just came from a production line is that the tire can spin inside of the wheel (even though that the tire was balanced) and it is again out of balance (it happened on my car when they changed the tires on the alu- they have to put some paste between the alu and tire and if they put it too much the tire can spin a little bit especially at faster acceleration or braking and there you go you are again out of balance. Usually that paste gets dry quickly but it also depends if they use good quality stuff).
Hope it helps Thumbs Up 2008 RRS TDV8 HSE, Java black, Alpaca,.....

Post #251777 Mon Jan 25 2010 2:56pm
max099

Austria 

Well, the car has already around 6000 km now (was a demo with 4k).

The tires got balanced by two different LR dealers with enough km between the calibrations, so the balance issue definitely is not the problem...

Post #251783 Mon Jan 25 2010 3:25pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

It seems most of these are just simply a carry over from 2005> on cars. Not new, just unresolved. Mr. Green L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #251797 Mon Jan 25 2010 4:49pm
avos

max099 wrote:
Well, the car has already around 6000 km now (was a demo with 4k).

The tires got balanced by two different LR dealers with enough km between the calibrations, so the balance issue definitely is not the problem...

Markos is meaning something else, this I am very familiar with on my XKR. Jaguar has even a TSB for this which details all the steps to get the best balancing possible.

Example, if you drive your car to the LR dealer, and the tires have been warmed up, the moment you stop your car (especially in winter), flatspotting occurs. The longer it takes between the moment you parked your car, and that they take of the wheels for balancing, the worse the flatspotting is. This means that the balancer will balance the wheel with the flatspot, so it will be off balance again when you drive. The only way to avoid this, is to ensure that when you get to the place that balances your car, they lift your car up right away so there is no chance on flatspotting. I ussualy call my balancer just before I come, so they can lift the car immediately (they understand, a kwikfit shop or something like that wiill not understand)

Now this is just one way to improve the work of balancing, the next step is to use a Hunter GSP9700 (also mentioned in the Jaguar TSB), here is a link for more generic info:
http://www.gsp9700.com/

They have even made a unit specifically for Jaguar and Land Rover, this is for a reason Wink:
http://www.hunterengineering.biz/pub/produ.../index.htm

Is your LR dealer using this equipment?

If not, then I would either try to make an appointment with your car being lifted up right away when you come, of go to a facility that understands how to balance wheels who have a hunter balancer. Will take some more time/cost. But it might be worth it.

Last but not least, when the balancer has used the Hunter machine, make sure they mark the spot with the most road force. Then when fixing the wheel, ensure the mark is belo, hand tighten the wheel nuts, then lower the car, and tighten the nuts to the specific torque. This is also part of the Jaguar procedure.

1 last tip (very simple/effective), and this is a check to see if the wheel was placed properly on the balancer (ie they have used the right menthod/parts to fix the wheel to the balancer). When they have balanced the wheel, just ask to loosen the wheel from the balancer,turn it 180 degrees, and fix it again. If they haven't fitted the wheel propoerly, the machine whill show again unbalance.

Good luck,
Andre. RRS SDV6 HEV Dynamic
XKR 700 BHP with Twin-screw and LSD

Post #251801 Mon Jan 25 2010 5:22pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Alaska White

Does the make of tyre make a difference ?

What make of tyre are you running and what type of wheel. Could be linked to the make / type of tyre. Never had a problem with my last RRS and used to cover quite a few miles per year. MY10 TDV6 HSE, Alaska White, Ebony with Contrast, Park Heat, Paddle Shift, Privacy, Heated Steering Wheel, Extended & Premium Leather,

MY07 TDV6 HSE, Zermatt Silver, Gone

-----------------------------
1964 Austin Healey 3000

2007 LR Defender

2011 VW Tiguan R Line

Post #251817 Mon Jan 25 2010 5:50pm
max099

Austria 

Well, one should think that the dealers know what they are talking about. Especially because one of them told me about the flat-spotting syndrome. I will ask them if they have a hunter to balance with...

Tires are 19" Pirellis - have to check the exact model though.

BTW: I tried one of the other RRS demo cars and it shows the same behavior (although not as strong as my RRS)

Seems to be a problem for several RRS (wtf? my Disco3 runs like a charm) Big Cry Big Cry

Post #251884 Mon Jan 25 2010 7:54pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Alaska White

So anyone else with 19" Pirellis having the same issue. Would be interesting to know how common this is ? MY10 TDV6 HSE, Alaska White, Ebony with Contrast, Park Heat, Paddle Shift, Privacy, Heated Steering Wheel, Extended & Premium Leather,

MY07 TDV6 HSE, Zermatt Silver, Gone

-----------------------------
1964 Austin Healey 3000

2007 LR Defender

2011 VW Tiguan R Line

Post #251886 Mon Jan 25 2010 8:09pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Has been reported on here a few times, not sure about any correlation to type of tyre.

Want to do a search once you've had your dinner? Wink 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #251887 Mon Jan 25 2010 8:14pm
max099

Austria 

OK - here's what I've got: Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow 255/50 R19

Post #251890 Mon Jan 25 2010 8:34pm
KevinJM

Yugoslavia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

am a bit surprised by all the theories about tyre flat spots - overnight parking is not enough to do that with modern tyres.

regarding the squeaking tailgate, you are in Austria so it is cold and from experience I have learned that the RRS does not like the cold. It rattles, judders and shudders in the winter until it warms up. My colleague has a TD V6, I had the TD V8 and we noticed exactly the same cold weather problems. My tailgate always squeaked when closing it in Winter, as soon as the weather warms up it will disappear.

Don't know where you can velcro the boot cover since it only rolls out and clips in near the tailgate opening. RRS TDV6 (gone)
RRS TDV8 HSE(gone, burned out)
ML 320 CDI Airmatic

Post #251897 Mon Jan 25 2010 9:24pm
Markos

Max possible problem could be also if the Pirelli winter tires were on the car already on the demo car before you bought it. Winter tires are very soft and usually the demo cars are driven more to the limits which means that when people are testing the car they are also braking like loonies to try how the car stops. And if you do that at higher speeds pressing the brakes to the limit so that the ABS starts to work the profile on the tires (especially front ones) can get unevenly used (the surface is not rounded and flat anymore but it looks like small waves).
So if that tires were on the car before you bought it I would first show those tires to someone at the tire shop to check it and change it front to back to test it. 2008 RRS TDV8 HSE, Java black, Alpaca,.....

Post #251901 Mon Jan 25 2010 9:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>