RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Diesel Heater
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Hugh Haddow

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue
Diesel Heater

Apparently I have a diesel heater in my Car.
I have noted it mentioned in the forum but don’t really understand anything about it.
The hand book is less than informative on the subject. I don’t have a problem with just want to know more about it.
Why is it there?
What is it for?
When does it operate?
Can I select it?
Any information much appreciated.

Post #251383 Sat Jan 23 2010 12:40pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Alaska White

FBH is designed to automatically operate on starting the engine when temp is +5 or below. FBH helps engine to heat up quicker.

Once engine is upto temp FBH turns off. If you stop engine whilst FBH is still running it will continue for a short period and go through its shutdown proceedure. Therefore you might see exhaust fumes coming from nearside front by the wheel, which is quite normal.

If you have Park Heat fitted (option on 10MY) you can remotely turn on FBH to heat inside of car Thumbs Up MY10 TDV6 HSE, Alaska White, Ebony with Contrast, Park Heat, Paddle Shift, Privacy, Heated Steering Wheel, Extended & Premium Leather,

MY07 TDV6 HSE, Zermatt Silver, Gone

-----------------------------
1964 Austin Healey 3000

2007 LR Defender

2011 VW Tiguan R Line

Post #251388 Sat Jan 23 2010 1:06pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

You will know when it is working because you will see the exhaust coming out under the front of the car.
The FBH is outlined in this photo

Click image to enlarge

Officially it is there to speed cold weather warm up of the engine to reduce emissions, but because the engine block is high carbon content it is thermally very efficient so doesn't warm up the engine compartment too quickly (as you may have noticed on recent cold mornings!) so the FBH helps the interior warm a bit more quickly too.
Operation is fully automatic and the heater will only start when the outside temperature gauge shows the temperature to be 5c or lower. You cannot operate it manually although for a considerable sum Wesbasto who make the FBH system can supply and fit an aftermarket remote conrol. This is the same system as Landlord mentions is an option on 2010MY cars - means you can remotely start the heating system without having to leave the keys in the car while it warms up. I believe it can also be set to start on a timer instead of using the remote 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #251393 Sat Jan 23 2010 1:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hugh Haddow

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

Ah! Thanks Gentlemen. Still all a bit new to me.
As you have guessed Tim it was only during my return to Scotland over the festive season that I noticed it. Or heard it to be exact.
I had wondered what it was as I filled the wash bottle.

Post #251398 Sat Jan 23 2010 2:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1