RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Range Rover 4x4 system comments
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

BoatMad

Ireland 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Range Rover 4x4 system comments

After all that snow and ice driving of the last few weeks, I just was thinking about the RRS's 4x4 system in comparison to other systems. I find it strange that RR dont include front and rear diff locks as standard , ie like the new Grand Cherokee. My experience is that relying on TC systems ( transtion control) is problematic. My experience of extended heavey snow driving , ie two-three hours in 1 foot snow, was that the TC system oberheated and shut down, now this wont happen with loakcing diff systems.

Have RR compromised their 4x4 systems. Disco3 has a rear diff as standard, strange that FFRR and RRS dont have them, and what happened to teh front locking diff.

comments? RRS HSE TDV8 Java black/Ebony interior, mud flaps,20" stormers, towing, roofrack,sunroof,cooler V8 Tasmods Sills,black badges, carstyling java black vents
Previously FFRR TD6 Metallic Grey

Post #250147 Sun Jan 17 2010 12:01am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I think you will find the e-diff is also optional on the D4. It has long been an argument that Defender should have locking front and rear diffs when they only have a locking centre diff. On RRS the ediff is optional and really the number of people who off-road their RRS or FFRR is so tiny that it would be an extra cost and complication. I would hazard that 95% or more of RRS's have never had their low ratio gear box engaged except at the dealers at service time so why bother with fancy locking diffs each end.
I drove up the M74 motorway for nearly 4 hours in up to 10" of snow over ice in December with GGS set on the TR and had no problems with the TC getting hot and bothered even though I was running on 20" summer tyres . 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Mon Jan 18 2010 2:54pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #250151 Sun Jan 17 2010 12:57am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RichardM

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green

I too was surprised it doesn't come as standard when many lesser 4x4 cars have a locking dif. I recently went on a Land Rover Experience day (full day) which really showed how effective the e-diff can be. The argument that 95% of owners won't take the RRS off road doesn't really stand. In that case why do they fit the low range gear box? WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

2010 TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Adaptive Cruise - Sunroof - Privacy Glass - 5 Spoke Alloys
2009 TDV6 3.0 HSE Buckingham Blue - GONE

Post #250152 Sun Jan 17 2010 1:34am
NJF

Luxembourg 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

I regularly take my D3 off road and I find that it can do a great deal. It is a very able car. From what I've seen of the Jeep, it's also very impressive, particularly when crawling.

I think that the LR design is a very good compromise (all designs compromise) between the car's most common duty cycle (road) and the few occasions when it goes seriously off-road.

One of the benefits of a live axle seems to me to be greater articulation. Compare my D3 and a friend's D3 with an old Deafener:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Every silver lining has a cloud

2007 D3 HSE with winch, RAI, sliders, roof rack, ladder, yellow top, Engel etc for the school run
2010 RRS TDV8 HSE for work

Post #250155 Sun Jan 17 2010 8:57am
ASH555

England 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Love the first photo of the D3 Thumbs Up MY10 3.0 TDV6 HSE, Zermatt Silver, 20" Diamond Turned Alloys, Factory Privacy Glass, Premium Leather, Contrast Stiching, Side Steps, Etc

Gone 2006 '56' 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Zermatt Silver, 20", Side Steps, Brembos, Dynamic Pack, Etc

VW Transporter, 19" Rims, T32 170 BHP, Lowered

Post #250156 Sun Jan 17 2010 9:08am
NJF

Thanks. Thumbs Up One of the problems being behind the camera is that the car is normally someone else's Sad

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Every silver lining has a cloud

2007 D3 HSE with winch, RAI, sliders, roof rack, ladder, yellow top, Engel etc for the school run

Post #250161 Sun Jan 17 2010 10:46am
Josh

United Kingdom 

During all this snow my rear diff only came into play once and that was in 1 1/2 foot of white stuff. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #250168 Sun Jan 17 2010 11:39am
Alicatt

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Had it engage a couple of times during the snow but it was mainly due to me provoking it when showing off the systems on the car to friends.
I had a Landcruiser with all three diffs being able to be locked, most of the time I hardly needed the rear diff and I used the front diff once maybe twice in over 100k miles Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #250211 Sun Jan 17 2010 2:56pm
Hugh Haddow

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

I'm fully with Tim on this one.
like Tim I also drove for long periods in Scotland over untreated snow ladened roads.
Snow mode selected never stoped. Except to aid others.
Tyres - Good Year Wrangler.

Post #250374 Mon Jan 18 2010 2:38pm
lespes

Guernsey 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Grand cherokees do not have diff locks, they have locking differentials.

"locking differentials" are limited slip differentials that are not to be confused with differential lock!

Seem to remember that the previous model did develop an appetite for eating rear diffs

They are step down from alocking diff which is what is fitted to RRS and D3 though in the centre as standard and a rear as optional

To be honest to get your system to overheat would suggest that you were going to fast for the terrain in question. Out myself in deep snow and ice and snow and very little intervention from TC except when trying to get things out of shape.

I can certainly saythe RRS system is way superior to the D2 system, which was easily fooled in mud and snow.

Many would say the D3, which has same system as sport will go where a Defender would and some places it won't

Post #250398 Mon Jan 18 2010 5:12pm
Tim in Scotland

The things that let a Disco3-4 down as replacement for a Defender as an offroad toy (the first ones are getting cheap enough for that now) are their bloated weight and being over a foot wider than a Defender. Up here I could never go to half the offroad places that my Defender goes, in a Disco3 or 4, or a Freelander2. They are just too wide to get through between the trees and rocks we have to negotiate in Argyll 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #250422 Mon Jan 18 2010 7:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NJF

My D3 has the scratches down each side and on the wheels to show that it can get through if you try hard enough. Laughing Every silver lining has a cloud

Post #250424 Mon Jan 18 2010 7:19pm
Tim in Scotland

If you came up here and tried some of our runs in the forests NJF you would be looking at whole panels coming off the sides, not scratches! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #250425 Mon Jan 18 2010 7:22pm
lespes

Guernsey 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Tim:

With a bottle of vodka sure a Scot could get through in a cheap disco 3 and widen it enough for others to follow Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Not yourself of course. Exclamation

Post #250433 Mon Jan 18 2010 8:16pm
Tim in Scotland

Not a Vodka drinker mate, Buckfastleigh Tonic Wine is now the drink of choice up here! The Vodka measure was for descriptive purposes only I believe, it was to save any embarrassment for the Benedictine monks who brew and sell the Buckie - according to the news tonight Buckie was sited as the cause of more than 5000 crime incidents in Strathclyde alone last year! Not many drinks can claim to have that good a market penetration! Rolling with laughter With a bottle of Buckie in the car at least I would be sure I were being looked after by the good lord in thanks for keeping the monks in a home 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #250446 Mon Jan 18 2010 9:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>