Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > soon to be new user?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

big pimp

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
soon to be new user?

Hi guys,

I'm coming here as a (hopefully) soon to be proud owner of a RRSport.

I currently drive a BMW E92 330d remapped to 290ish bhp - i really love driving it, and enjoy the car itself but I've always liked bigger cars, and was considering the likes of an X5, but have always loved the RRS and when I test drove the MY10 RRS I just thought it was awesome!

not as quick as my current car, but certainly no slouch either.

so i'll no doubt be lurking on here, asking advice etc. before I come to order my new sport, but what I'm considering at the minute is either Rimini Red or Black 3.0 TDV6.

i cant decide on whether to go for 19s or 20s, as I'll more than likely be adding 22" kahns as my 'summer wheels' (i'm only still young at 30! Razz )
with the recent spate of bad weather I'm considering 19s with decent winter tyres to switch over to when the 22s come off, or would the 20s be perfectly fine for all but the most arduous off roading? how about soft sand etc with the 20s? ( I SCUBA dive so can see it down along the shore etc)

The main thing though is what extras are necessary? I love my music as I spend a lot of time travelling so are there audio upgrades worth having etc? also what about ipod interfaces as I couldn't do without my ipod in my BMW.
what else does anyone have or recommend? I'll be getting it remapped too, but on top of that is there anything else people can recommend like kits etc.

i dont want it to be a chavved up footballers car, but i would definitely like to go down a mildly modified route.

thanks in advance,

Ross

Post #248738 Sat Jan 09 2010 6:38pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Ross RRS comes fairly well equipped as standard, there isn't a lot you need to put on it.
Privacy Glass is popular and as you intend to go offroad in it the the rear e-diff might be worth speccing - it is an automatic locking rear diff and makes a bit of a difference to the car offroad. If you have kids then the Rear Seat Entertainment system is popular too
2010MY cars - everybody seems to be speccing premium perforated leather with contrast stitching and the extended leather pack (puts leather on the door cappings and the dash top), heated steering wheel or Park Heat seem popular. For offroad the car doesn't need any extras, it comes able to do what Land Rover says it will but you may find a spare set of wheels shod with more aggressive tyres helpful if you are venturing far off the beaten track - you can go a long way offroad on the road biased standard fit but once the tyre treads start to clog you will stop dead even with all the fancy electronics. I would also recommend that you screw the dealer into giving you a FULL day out at your nearest Land Rover Experience centre so you get to see what the car can do, in one of Land Rover's cars and not your own, they will try to fob you off with a halfday course but you really should go for a full day. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #248741 Sat Jan 09 2010 6:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
big pimp

thanks very much for that Tim, I think I'm gonna like it on here!

No kids yet, but you'd never know what this year may bring!

i'd say privacy glass will be a cert - have it on my BMW, and it's a nice smoke tint which i really think help the look of the car as well as, well privacy, lol!

The HSE i had driven had the extended leather which was nice, but i dont honestly know if I seen that big of a difference between extended and non?
think the e-diff could be a worthwhile purchase, for a bit of (what will realistically be) soft-roading.
heated steering a gimmick though?! what is the park heat - is that like a residual heat thing my car has that you can press it after the car has been running, and it will keep circulating warm air? if so I've never used it on my own car, or my last one!

I like the way you put it re going off-road - thats one of the reasons I want the RRS - because it can go off road where the other X5's etc cant really! (as topgear showed with the mess that is the X6!).

and like you say, if I am buying from Charles Hurst here, one of the stipulations will be a full days training just to see what can be done!

thanks again for your sound advice mate,

Ross

Post #248750 Sat Jan 09 2010 7:43pm
Endjin

Scotland 

Welcome to the Forum Big Pimp - As usual, Tim has given a great answer to your question, so nothing much to add except that I agree with you about the Extended Leather option - I really don't think it adds that much to the interior - It's also worth noting that even without the "extended" package you still get a leather clad dashboard top - according to my dealer, it's "apparantly" just not as high quality leather. I do however think that the "premium Leather" upgrade is well worth going for. It looks so much better than the alcantara/leather mix. 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

GONE - RRS - 3.0 TDV6 HSE - Santorini (2010)
GONE - RRS - 2.7 TDV6 HSE - Java Black (2007)
GONE - Porsche Boxster S - 3.2 - Black

Post #248762 Sat Jan 09 2010 8:19pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I see from the price list that was posted the other day that HSE's now get premium leather as standard - must be a lot of people speccing it.
Park Heat control is a car pre-warmer using the fuel burning heater that is fitted for emissions purposes. You can set a timer on the car's computer ot trigger it by a remote control from inside your house, wait 10 minutes and you have warm air coming out of the vents when you drive away on a frosty morning. Don't knock a heated steering wheel until you have had to use one, especially if the car has to sit outside in the winter! They are very nice and I had one on my Full Fat and wish it could have been specced on either of my RRS's, it's only come on the spec list with the 2010 cars. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #248764 Sat Jan 09 2010 8:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
60RK

United Kingdom 

Hi Big Pimp

I am rather new here too. I came from an E92 M3 and placed my order on Monday for a TDv8 (was thinking of the TDv6, but felt it a little sluggish) I went for extended perorated premium leather, logic 7, TV, heated steering wheel (advice from this site) ipod connector, privacy glass, removable tow hitch, finished in black, with ivory leather with contrasting ebony stitching, and with 20'' 5 spoke alloys. On the downside I have to wait till March, I have sold the M3 and am now driving a Golf! On the plus side, got a 5% discount on the RR sport, almost £3k off!

Hope you get sorted!

John

Post #248767 Sat Jan 09 2010 8:44pm
DHA

United Kingdom 

Another potential new owner here too.

Is the park heat the £1000 option from the excel spreadsheet version that is on here?

The heated steering wheel is attractive to me, my car lives outside all year and sometimes I set out at 5am for work. It can be cold at that time in the morning!!!

Post #248793 Sun Jan 10 2010 12:15am
JT888

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

DHA wrote:

Is the park heat the £1000 option from the excel spreadsheet version that is on here?

The heated steering wheel is attractive to me, my car lives outside all year and sometimes I set out at 5am for work. It can be cold at that time in the morning!!!

Is that the same DHA from TSN I spot...... Whistle

if so then good to see you on here.....JT Thumbs Up

Post #248857 Sun Jan 10 2010 3:12pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Alaska White

Park heat and heated steering wheel a must have even if its only for a few months of the year Thumbs Up MY10 TDV6 HSE, Alaska White, Ebony with Contrast, Park Heat, Paddle Shift, Privacy, Heated Steering Wheel, Extended & Premium Leather,

MY07 TDV6 HSE, Zermatt Silver, Gone

-----------------------------
1964 Austin Healey 3000

2007 LR Defender

2011 VW Tiguan R Line

Post #248859 Sun Jan 10 2010 3:14pm
DHA

United Kingdom 

JT888 wrote:
DHA wrote:

Indeed it is Thumbs Up

Post #248861 Sun Jan 10 2010 3:21pm
sportdriver

United Kingdom 

Mine also has the heated steering wheel - thought it was a bit gimmicky at first - but it's the thing you press 1st when you get in the car in this weather!!

Nice to see another 'young' RRS driver - as I'm also 30.

I've had X5's in the past (my wife still has one) and I can promise you will have made the right choice going for one of these instead!!

Let us know when you place the order! '10 Jaguar XKR Coupe 5.0L Supercharged.
Kyanite Blue/Ivory + Piano Black Trim.

Post #248862 Sun Jan 10 2010 3:21pm
big pimp

thanks for that mate - i'll be placing the order prob around June or July for September delivery.

Post #248863 Sun Jan 10 2010 4:11pm
JT888

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

DHA wrote:
JT888 wrote:
DHA wrote:

Indeed it is Thumbs Up

Thought it must be....how's things then buddy?

It's a very friendly and helpful bunch over on this forum so you're in the right place!

Are you heading to LM this year with the Spaniard...?

Send me a PM with your mobile and I'll give you a shout this week, unless it's still the same one?

Thumbs Up JT

Post #248907 Sun Jan 10 2010 9:18pm
DHA

United Kingdom 

Can't do LM this year, leave at work might not work out and I am already booked for a stag do from the Thursday to the Saturday that weekend anyway, but it's in France and I will drive past LM!!!

Mobile is the same, things well with me ta. Hows tricks with you?

Post #248932 Sun Jan 10 2010 10:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1