RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > HEAVY BLACK SMOKE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

ukheman

France 
HEAVY BLACK SMOKE

Hi there ive noticed a trail of black smoke when i hit hard on the accelerator pedal.

its emabrassing when ive got a full load as everyone driving passed keep horning at me ...

the car doesnt seem to be in idle mode or lacking in power...

any pointers as its out of warranty on 2006 55 plate. thanks

Post #234262 Sat Aug 22 2009 8:02pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Welcome to the forum Ukheman, sorry it was a problem that brought you to us

Firstly loads of reports about this on here so you are not alone. It could be either a turbo failure or an EGR Valve problem. If you do a search in the forum using EGR or Turbo to search then you should find out some info. There are also lots of posts about the same problem on our sister site Disco3.co.uk

Have you owned the car from new? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #234265 Sat Aug 22 2009 8:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ukheman

France 

thanks.. i have tried to look thru the forum before posting..

no i havent owned the car from new.. but its only a 1 owner with 45K on the clock

had a similar problem with a Saab 93 EGR and noticed the car go into limb mode..

with this RR Sport there doesnt seem to be a lack of power...

so unsure if its a faulty dirty injector or the seals in the turbo...

seems to only occur with a heavy load ..

i can rev the car from idle and not much smoke there if any ?

Post #234269 Sat Aug 22 2009 8:18pm
Texstar

United Kingdom 

Have you checked the various hoses (intercooler, inlet etc) around the top & front of engine, for splits / loose clips etc? BTW, I didn't think anyone in Paris would be embarrassed by people hooting their horns, I thought everyone there held them on, all the time they were in the driving seat Laughing RRS TDV8 Buck Blue (no, not now in my dreams). ..........D3 TDclankety clankV6 ............BMW 318i

Post #234270 Sat Aug 22 2009 8:30pm
ukheman

France 

i will check in the morning.. seems to be alot of plastic covers .. do you know where i can get a workshop cd from ?

Post #234283 Sat Aug 22 2009 9:32pm
ukheman

France 

is it easy to detect hose pipe slits ? or do they have to be check under pressure .???

also if there was a problem with airflow.. wouldnt this trigger the engine mangement light on ... ?

the car hasnt been driven for about 4 months.. and noticed the deisel was low. so i filled it up to the top

but didnt realise if the black smoke started before this ..

thanks

Post #234286 Sat Aug 22 2009 9:40pm
Texstar

United Kingdom 

Unfortunately, the only source of info I know of is the LR GTR (Global Technical Reference) on the official LR website, but there is a cost involved for access as far as I know, so unless I'm desperate, I'll not be using it. Whistle Thumbs Up RRS TDV8 Buck Blue (no, not now in my dreams). ..........D3 TDclankety clankV6 ............BMW 318i

Post #234288 Sat Aug 22 2009 9:43pm
Texstar

United Kingdom 

There is normally traces of oil present in the hoses / ducts etc, so a split would usually be noticeable by some small oil seepage there, or by a noise when under pressure. If no problem found with these, maybe try some form of injector cleaner in a tank or three of fuel to make sure they are reasonably clean to start with. Turbo problems are usually accompanied by engine warning lights and messages, and fault codes that can be read by a dealer, faulty egr valves also produce fault codes and cause drivability problems usually at slow speeds ie. no power when trying to pull away or accelerate. As you say there is no lack of power, so you shouldn't really suspect turbo or egr's at this stage. You may be better off getting any fault codes read by a dealer as it may show something as simple as a faulty sensor somewhere, which you would have trouble diagnosing yourself. If it's any consolation, if I accelerate hard in mine at night, I can see a massive cloud of smoke behind me in the following cars headlights, not quite so noticeable in daylight though, so I guess mine isn't perfect by any means. RRS TDV8 Buck Blue (no, not now in my dreams). ..........D3 TDclankety clankV6 ............BMW 318i

Last edited by Texstar on Sat Aug 22 2009 10:57pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #234295 Sat Aug 22 2009 9:57pm
KiwiRRS

New Zealand 
EGR

Just had my left EGR replaced. there was no noticeable power loss, or abnormal amounts of smoke but the engine wasn't as smooth as normal. I did however have the check engine light on and an increase in fuel consumption (about 20%).

Post #234298 Sat Aug 22 2009 10:42pm
ukheman

France 

i dont think its the EGR Valves has ive seen both Exhausts boost out smoke . Read thru the forums that its unlikely both go at once...

it was embrassing as i got my mate to drive the car while i was following behind in his and when he shop up a steep hill it puffed out a line of black smoke for a good few secs until he go to the top...

anyway ill start to open up the pipes this morning and see if i can see any blockages in the airline .. and check the intercooler pipes

Post #234311 Sun Aug 23 2009 12:07pm
ukheman

France 

couldnt see any blockages.. cleaned out the air filter.. placed some injector cleaner in the fuel tank no difference.

gunna do an oil and filter change over the weekend...

noticed a sec lag when i hammer the pedal to the floor before the turbo kicks in .. but the drive is all smooth

i dont get any jerks or funny noises... if i press the accelerator gently i can reach top speeds up a hill or the motorway with no black smoke. but if i hammer it. then is a cloud of thick black smoke...

also noticed if i leave the car still for a day or so.. well it was a couple of days then start up . the black smoke is quite heavy and takes longer to go away.....the trail is well down the street

if it was a leak in the intercooler .. would this simply burn away .. also checked my undertrays for leaks .. etc..

couldnt see anythink .???

LandRover want £90+Vat per hour and wouldnt give me an estimate just wanted a blank chq....

if i can get a replacement turbo for £300 if it worth just going in that direction first ? so should i still get any fault codes read in case the airflow sensor is faulty... i have no engine management lights on either...

Post #234942 Fri Aug 28 2009 12:39am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

What brand of fuel are you using - from the oil majors or "supermarket" supplied? If you have been using discount price supermarket fuel then bite the bullet and pay the couple of cents a litre more and run a couple of tankfuls of fuel bought from a Shell/BP/Texaco/Total (ie Branded) forecourt through the engine. It sounds like you might have a fuelling problem which is an ecu or sensor problem. Your car hasn't been "chipped" has it?

With my 2nd car which is a 14 years old 2.5ltr TDi I have started adding 2 shots of Millers Diesel Additive each time I fill up from empty to full - it has made a big difference to the amount of black smoke and smoothness of the engine - it has also reduced my fuel consumption considerably. I suspect I had a blocked injector or one that needed cleaning! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #234949 Fri Aug 28 2009 6:39am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ukheman

France 

gunna do that.. i use shell and have tried some fuel additives already... i might do a full strip down of the front end to see if any botton hoses have got any splits... each way i looks its a long messy job as my mate whoes a mechanic has hedged his bets on the turbo with leaky seals..

hes told me to watch the oil level and see if it drops quite a bit .. but i thought if oil burnt the smoke should be blue ...

though does remind me when i had a blown turbo on a TDI Galaxy gave me a similar trail of smoke though when that happened the car wouldnt move where as this drives quite normal...

Post #234998 Fri Aug 28 2009 9:53am
Alias

Switzerland 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I have also the same problem and my RRS is also from France. But I don't have a diesel particulate filter (DPF). Embarassed I think that's the problem. Wink

Post #235440 Thu Sep 03 2009 8:07am
ukheman

France 

well.. took the airbox off and looked under there.. so alittle bit of oil residue.. so got a torch and looked further down the pipe..(big thick pipe from the intercooloer onto the top of the engine)
saw a 2 inch split in the pipe which has been rubbing against the inner wing..took the pipe off.. was a little bit of oil in the intercooler side probably a table spoon of oil fell out of the intercooler and hardly any at the top...

gunna do a temporay repair on the pipe and refit before i order a new one on monday.... lets see if that cures my black smoke

Post #235745 Sat Sep 05 2009 4:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>