Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Quick question on colour code issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

my toys

England 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
Quick question on colour code issue

hi all
Getting a friend to do my colour coding at his spray shop and i need to know how some parts are removed please...

1) door handles
2) bits at the bottom of the doors (just above side step)
3) mirror covers
4) strip along the bottom of the boot
5) headlight washers
I can see the D pillars just pop off lol..
Sorry for being thick just dont want to start pulling parts off not knowing if i will break anything

Thumbs Up

Post #233533 Fri Aug 14 2009 6:50pm
my toys

England 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

26 views and no reply, does no one really know? or care? lol

Post #233544 Fri Aug 14 2009 10:33pm
SteveWilliams

Wales 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

In my case it's a case of don't know. Sorry.
Steve

Post #233546 Sat Aug 15 2009 4:15am
islider

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Java Black

Don't know either, everything I try and take off I break! Laughing

Bottoms of the Doors are on the plastic poppers, that generally break on removal. So some spares of those would be a good idea.

Mirror Covers are held on by 3m tape (I think), so heat with hairdryer. But not sure 100% of the result after removal.

Bobby would probably know.

If I had to it would be a screwdriver, and more colour coding for the sprayer! Big Cry

Sorry not much help.

Post #233553 Sat Aug 15 2009 8:36am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Mirror covers - does your car already have coloured/ mirrored caps fitted? Then Islider is right, they are held on with very tough adhesive or double sided pads. If not then AFAIK you have to buy a set of upper and lower covers in body colour (or buy a set of primed covers and paint them yourself) and stick them on yourself, the OEM mirror casings don't come apart IIRC.
There are postings about removing and replacing the spoilers on the bottoms of the doors. (removal is usually done by the great outdoors when people go offroading - so you could have some fun pulling them off that way Mr. Green )
The strip along the rear door itself is snapped on like the door spoilers and the strip on the top of the bumper is glued on so you need the wife's hairdryer and some dental floss to remove that.
You will need a load of spare clips for replacing the pop-on/off bits as they do break, but there are at least two types of clip - white and yellow!
Replacing door handles was covered in the last 4 months by somebody else but I cannot find the thread
Otherwise I'm sorry I cannot help you any further.
I am surprised that your bodyshop man doesn't know how to remove trim pieces from any car!

Of course you know you bought the wrong colour of car, if you had bought the right colour then it comes fully colour coded by the factory at no extra cost.................................. Whistle Whistle Stornoway Rules 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #233555 Sat Aug 15 2009 9:01am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
flydive

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Of course you know you bought the wrong colour of car, if you had bought the right colour then it comes fully colour coded by the factory at no extra cost.................................. Whistle Whistle Stornoway Rules

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up '08 RRS TDV8
I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seals oil

Post #233557 Sat Aug 15 2009 9:14am
islider

Tim,

have to agree, I nearly bought a S/C Stornoway. Colour coded as standard, what a bloody good idea! Thumbs Up

And not as common as Java round here. When I told the Mrs I was looking at a Grey RRS, she screamed 'Grey WTF - you old man'. Then she saw it and went 'Oooh I Like Grey'. Thick Cow! Laughing

Still think I should have gone for the S/C sometimes, as I only do 6k miles a year. Maybe next time, and maybe Stornoway. Thumbs Up

Sorry for going off topic mytoys.

Post #233559 Sat Aug 15 2009 9:19am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

No colour is as common as Java in the UK, I have heard that something like half of production of RRS has been Java or Santorini............................ cannot be good for residuals with so many of them around. It's the same here, mainly black RRS's but Rimini and Arctic Frost are pretty common here as well. My last RRS was Giverny, I think in the 2.5 years of owning it I cannot have seen more than 4 others. Not as rare as VA's favourite colour Maya Gold, I think only 2 have ever been reported as being spotted on here (not counting the Maya RRS that was in one of the recent Bond movies!) 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #233561 Sat Aug 15 2009 9:31am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
islider

Would make sense given the number of Java you see. Agreed on the residuals.

However I think there's something about an RRS with factory tints in Black, that has alsmost made the colour synomous(or infamous) with the RRS. To the point that a lot of people don't even think about another colour.

So hopefully the continued demand for them might make up for the residuals.

Must say I love Stornoway and Rimini, it was a hard choice for me between Stornoway and Java. The Rimini although a great colour, not sure if I could live with every day.

When I looked at the Stornoway S/C, the dealer had a Vesuvius First Edition. He explained about the limited run and that in future they could appreciate. Again love the colour but would give me a headache using daily, and is a bit 'look at me'. The RRS is that already so you don't need any extra.

Do like Giverney in a retro RR Classic way, seems a proper RR/S colour and see a couple nearby quite regularly. Much more understated.

God I'm waffling. Laughing

Post #233564 Sat Aug 15 2009 9:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1