RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > supercharge strange smell??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

rockportpurple

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Rimini Red
supercharge strange smell??

hi all thnku for reading my post,i have a carbon/exhaust smell when my supercharger kicks in coming through the vents,it doesnt go even when i have the system on circulate,has anyone had this problem with there supercharged and has anyone got any ideas what it is?

Post #228037 Sat Jun 13 2009 10:46am
Leo

Kenya 

If the engine is running, then the supercharger's working - it doesn't 'kick-in' like a turbo. Sounds like you have a leaky exhaust?

Post #228045 Sat Jun 13 2009 3:14pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Are you sure it's an exhausty smell? Couldn't be the musty aircon smell that you sometimes get? 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #228166 Mon Jun 15 2009 8:47am
rockportpurple

i though it was an exhaust fault at first,but its like the smell is only there when i put my foot down and the supercharger spools up,it i just run round without giving it any boot it isnt there, i have just had it serviced too and they changed my aircon,maybe it could be this?i just dont know,i will post up some pics of my car soon though thankyou for your replies i will look at both issues mentioned regards
Clive

Post #228401 Wed Jun 17 2009 12:08am
mahesh

Panama 

hi i have a rr sport 2006 hse..
and i have the same problem. everytime a accelerate the smell is coming in..
first the dealer thought the smoke from the muffler tips was entering through the back
lights which have 3 flabs for recirculation.. which he was wrong, as we closed the flabs by the computer still had smell.
today they changed the rear door rubber, but also didnt resolve the issue..
apparently the problem is only when you have your aircon on.. so has to do something
with that, will keep you updated as the car is sitting at the dealar to find a solution.

clive,put your recirculation off, and try accelerating to see if the smell is stronger..
mine is..
this is a major issue as we can knock out with the smell of the engine entering the cabin and
cause a huge accident.. land rover should take measures and find a urgent solution to this problem..

Post #228405 Wed Jun 17 2009 4:18am
Leo

Kenya 

Clive, what did they change in the aircon? Maybe a loose connection in one of the pipes somewhere letting in exhaust gas?

Post #228449 Wed Jun 17 2009 1:53pm
bex

Re: supercharge strange smell??

rockportpurple wrote:
hi all thnku for reading my post,i have a carbon/exhaust smell when my supercharger kicks in coming through the vents,it doesnt go even when i have the system on circulate,has anyone had this problem with there supercharged and has anyone got any ideas what it is?

You say " when your supercharger kicks in".....it is working all the time so perhaps the smell is actually unburnt fuel as all the SC's overfuel by a massive amount to cope with the crap fuel quality in the US....

If

Post #228450 Wed Jun 17 2009 2:18pm
rockportpurple

crikey

crikey the smell that can knock us out doesnt sound good,i will try and expand a little bit more,,when i have my dial set at anything for climate,even switched off when i trundle around under a set speed it is okay,when i give it some wellie,and the supercharger spools up i get a carbon/exhaust smell through the upper vents(unless they are switched off) i recently had it serviced 15k service and it say on the invoice forte advanced gas treatment,they changed my cabin filter and ace filter if this helps,but i had the car out today and it did the same,my tail pipes are very black round the edges very sooty looking,and to top it all off,i have my dreaded knock back after new ball joints/anti-roll bar bushes,to be told its now my bottom arm bushes that need replacing,and now my front tyres are showing thread from wear,so need to getsome tyres asap,but LR say it the wear is from my lower bushes, will it ever end,after new compressor for my supension twice,my aircon,and suspension woes i thought this car was top off the tree,im considering getting a cayenne,but might see waht the new RR in oct looks like,i have done 16k since oct in this car and i love ot to bits but there is only so much i can take now thankyou for your replies i will keep you updated on the out come
Clive,,oh and does anyone know how to post up pics on here, id like to show you my motor,again many thanks

Post #228479 Wed Jun 17 2009 10:22pm
Leo

Kenya 

I don't think it's got anything to do with the supercharger, but I could be wrong. Maybe time to change your dealer or get someone like 'ten for cash' ( an independent, travelling mechanic over on www.disco3.co.uk) to have a look for you.

The fact the smell is still there if the recirc is on could mean that your A/C needs to be disinfected, or it could be leaking gas. Let us know how it gets fixed. Thumbs Up

Post #228481 Wed Jun 17 2009 11:13pm
rockportpurple

hi

hi all well i've had it back to the dealers and they say there isnt any smell,but when i picked it up drove round the corner hey presto,so i went back and took the service manager out with everything switched off no air-con,nothing on at all,and he said they dont know what else it is,and they want my car for 3days to diagnose the problem,soi will be in touch at a later date with a reply
regards
Clive

Post #228520 Thu Jun 18 2009 1:40pm
rockportpurple

Hi all well just an update as to the smell,the dealership have had the car twice now,and they think its overfueling and its got to have a remap,but i have to pay for it but the last people to reflash it was the dealership due too a o2 sensor that went down,not happy at all after three weeks of fiddling so re-bboked in next week to hopefully end this
regards
Clive

Post #231785 Fri Jul 24 2009 6:03pm
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

mahesh wrote:

hi i have a rr sport 2006 hse..
and i have the same problem. everytime a accelerate the smell is coming in..
first the dealer thought the smoke from the muffler tips was entering through the back
lights which have 3 flabs for recirculation.. which he was wrong, as we closed the flabs by the computer still had smell.
today they changed the rear door rubber, but also didnt resolve the issue..
apparently the problem is only when you have your aircon on.. so has to do something
with that, will keep you updated as the car is sitting at the dealar to find a solution.

clive,put your recirculation off, and try accelerating to see if the smell is stronger..
mine is..
this is a major issue as we can knock out with the smell of the engine entering the cabin and
cause a huge accident.. land rover should take measures and find a urgent solution to this problem..

I think that is BS - IIRC the flaps are fixed i guess for heat dispersion / venting.... I recall seeing them when fitting towing electrics and there's no 'computer control' of them on mine!

Post #231787 Fri Jul 24 2009 6:31pm
rockportpurple

smell

hi all well the dreaded smell is no-more the stealers found my rear tailgate seal was shut properly and they had an enginee lay in the rear off the car and drive around new seal re-seated top tailgate and hey presto!!
no more smell,then a reflash,and a suspension re-set due too 22inch wheels
£100 later all is well thankyou for your replies

Very Happy Very Happy

Post #232971 Fri Aug 07 2009 5:43pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Ah, good to know they've found the problem and resolved it Thumbs Up 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #233079 Mon Aug 10 2009 9:05am
RANGE_LOVER

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Thumbs Up

Post #233087 Mon Aug 10 2009 9:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>