RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Tyre Advice - Are these Conti's Shot / Illegal?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

NoDo$h

Cooper Zeon?

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic32452.html?highlight=zeon

Click image to enlarge
 Two lives - lived one

This season, oi be mostly toasting my left leg in the 90 while the missus drives the D3

Post #226772 Wed May 27 2009 9:29am
Josh

United Kingdom 

Your tyres were not illegal Exclamation

As long as the CENTRE 2/3 thirds have got more than 1.6mm of tred then they are legal. The outer edges of the Conti's wear badly and look very bad.......but they are legal.

Tred depth indicators are set at 1.6 mm. It is widely beleived that 2mm is a safer time to change your tyres particularly during the winter months. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #226784 Wed May 27 2009 11:42am
Endjin

Scotland 

Josh,

Your answer has made me look into this in a bit more depth and you are quite correct. Looks like the guy from
the Authorised Land Rover Repairer was either spinning me a line or hadn't read his Tyre Law properly!
If the GVW of the RRS was over 3500Kg then he would be correct but as the GVW of an RRS is only 2,480-2586 kg then the law clearly shows that there is no need to have visible pattern on the outer edge if it is less than 25% of the surface area. I found this out on a nicely laid out site here : - http://www.etyres.co.uk/uk-tyre-law Worth a look if anyone wants the facts.

Paulo, Sorry for giving you a bum stear mate but I trusted what the guy from Kinghorn was telling me Embarassed 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

GONE - RRS - 3.0 TDV6 HSE - Santorini (2010)
GONE - RRS - 2.7 TDV6 HSE - Java Black (2007)
GONE - Porsche Boxster S - 3.2 - Black

Post #226806 Wed May 27 2009 2:49pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

Always ask an expert Wink

The only thing that would change that is if any part of the core becomes visible for any reason. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone

Post #226812 Wed May 27 2009 3:20pm
NoDo$h

Good to know that having spent over £40k on a car people are still prepared to wring the last fraction of a mm out of their tyres Thud Two lives - lived one

This season, oi be mostly toasting my left leg in the 90 while the missus drives the D3

Post #226816 Wed May 27 2009 4:03pm
rrsboy

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black
Re: Tyre Advice - Are these Conti's Shot / Illegal?

PauloAmore wrote:
Gents,

These are my front wheel Continentals. Note that sides of each tyre and scrubbed right down to zero tread.
- My gut tells me I still have 75% above 1.6mm and that the tyres are therefore legal.

That said, safety and my heart tells me to get some new boots.

Also, at what depth are the tread wear indicators on these tyres set at? Legal minimum?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Paul

mine are identical and perfectly legal. I suspect like me you drive the car quite enthusiastically, with the gear stick 'to the left' to firm up the suspension and heighten the gear change point? Well throwing a 3 tonne machine into corners like that (I drove a Lotus Exige previously Laughing ) does this to low profile tyres! still a fair amount of wear in them, and fairly safe (relative to how crap they are from new) - if you want grippy tyres then take a Lotus for a spin with Yokohama A048 semi slicks (in the dry).. quite frankly insane levels of grip.. hmmmm.. starting to miss it Whistle Whistle Laughing Laughing Cool

Post #226842 Wed May 27 2009 8:05pm
fred looney

Australia 

I have just fitted some Yokohama advan st this week and they feel great I had the stock wrangles F1's which where good for 43000 kmbut at over $600 each thought I should try something else. Thus far happy but still to early to tell RRS TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Post #226875 Thu May 28 2009 1:01am
Josh

United Kingdom 

NoDo$h wrote:
Good to know that having spent over £40k on a car people are still prepared to wring the last fraction of a mm out of their tyres Thud

Try over £50K.

The contis are designed to wear on the outer shoulders beleive it or not. But I really can't see the point in chucking perfectly legal tyres in the bin just because cosmetically they look bad...........do your bit for the environment and run them till 2mm across the centre 2/3 and then change them. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone

Post #226929 Thu May 28 2009 3:43pm
XUJG

Endjin wrote:
Hi Paulo,

These look just like mine did and I thought exactly the same as you but was told by Kinghorn Body Shop (LR official repairer) that they are Illegal as the law states you must have 75% of tyre with legal tread depth and the rest must have "visible" tread. I'd change them now mate - Don't give your insurance company the chance not to pay out if you have a prang!

Hope this helps. Thumbs Up

I would say you have well over 75% of well legal tread on those tyres.
I had a similar situaion where an independant service centre advised me that my tyres were ilegal at just 12000 miles. I called LR customer service who booked the car in for checks and the dealer said the tyres were fine and also showed me a Continental statement which highlights the style of tyer designed to wear on the edge.

Post #226959 Thu May 28 2009 10:14pm
Rob_J

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Re: Tyre Advice - Are these Conti's Shot / Illegal?

PauloAmore wrote:
Gents,

These are my front wheel Continentals. Note that sides of each tyre and scrubbed right down to zero tread.
- My gut tells me I still have 75% above 1.6mm and that the tyres are therefore legal.

That said, safety and my heart tells me to get some new boots.

Also, at what depth are the tread wear indicators on these tyres set at? Legal minimum?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Paul

Mine went through an MOT looking like that. LR dealership tried to tell me they needed replacing for £320/corner! Still got more tread than my perfectly legal Toyo 888's on the GT3. HSE TD6 (Java Black/Ivory)
911GT3 (Guards Red, carbon interior)
ElanSE (BRG)
Panamera Turbo S
Boxster S

Post #226961 Thu May 28 2009 10:19pm
C10KO

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

NoDo$h wrote:
Cooper Zeon?

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic32452.html?highlight=zeon

Click image to enlarge

Mate, would these tires fitted on 20" rims be compatible the RRS?

Post #226964 Thu May 28 2009 11:26pm
PJPR01

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Cairns Blue

fred looney wrote:
I have just fitted some Yokohama advan st this week and they feel great I had the stock wrangles F1's which where good for 43000 kmbut at over $600 each thought I should try something else. Thus far happy but still to early to tell

Unfortunately I've got some rather bad news for you. I've just traded in my Yokohama Advan S.T.'s after 2 years running them on my 20's. The became quite noisy after about 5K miles, ultimately I only put about 15K miles on them before trading them in last week since I normally have my 18's on with the Nitto Terra Grapplers. The noise was akin to a worn wheel bearing. I've just traded them in for a new set of Nitto NT420S, and the difference is amazing.

Unfortunately when I had bought the Advan's, it was a fairly new tire and there were no reviews on them at the time available, now after several years on the market, I see others who have also complained about the tire noise.

They are however unbelievably sticky and grippy around turns, so driving fast is quite a pleasure with them on...but after a while, the noise became unbearable.

The Cooper Zeon LTZ and the Nitto Terra Grapplers are interchangeable in terms of characteristics, the Cooper is a bit cheaper in most parts. PJPR
Cairns Blue HSE
180k Miles of Adventure

Post #226968 Fri May 29 2009 2:22am
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

Coko wrote:

Mate, would these tires fitted on 20" rims be compatible the RRS?

In the US (not sure about the UK), there are two sizes of 20" Cooper Zeon LTZ that will fit the RRS: 275/45/20s will go on without issues since they are only marginally larger than the stock tires, so accurate speedo, MPG calculations, etc. 285/50/20s are definitely larger than the stockers and - according to at least one forum member who has them over on rr.net - you may want to install 5mm wheel spacers on the front wheels to minimize chances of the inner sidewall rubbing against the upper control arm. The extra sidewall of the larger tires is a great advantage when off-roading (it also increases your ground clearance a bit), but the smaller size would probably handle better on the road as an "everyday" tire that only sees occasional off-road use. I am on my second set of these Coopers (sized 285/60/1Cool and love them, haven't put my "street" 21" bling wheels on in ages. Thumbs Up 

Post #226970 Fri May 29 2009 3:36am
C10KO

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Umberto, thanks for the explanation. Thumbs Up
Can you please tell me where can I get the spacers? The only ones I have seen were 25mm per wheel, which I recon is bit too much...

Post #226971 Fri May 29 2009 8:20am
PauloAmore

Scotland 

Gents,

Fifth Gear (TV show) ran a programme last year on tyre wear. Basically, they concluded that wet stopping distances increased significantly when the tyre treads fell below 3mm (as opposed to waiting until 1.6mm).

So, on the basis of that test, I change my tyres out a bit early.

I had noticed that the pictured Conti's were aquaplaning at unexpected times. Quick but not fast speed through reasonablty sized puddles....

So, anyway's, I'm happy that I changed out legal scrubbed tyres for new ones.

Thanks for your advice guys
p 2022 P440e AB

Post #226981 Fri May 29 2009 9:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>