RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Defender offroading in Central Scotland
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Defender offroading in Central Scotland

Just home from helping the Scottish Land Rover Owners Club guys set up for their big family weekend event when even the youngest are able to try their hand at offroad driving. Who needs to leave the UK when you can have sun and scenery like we have had here for the last week.........................

Forecast for the weekend is good too and I am well sunburned even after liberal application of Factor 45!
AND even better this year there seem to be no MIDGES...........................
So get your RRS up to Scotland/ NW England and save the British B&B's, Hotels and campsites from bankruptcy
BTW sorry for the poor quality of the pic it was taken on an iphone 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #232979 Fri Aug 07 2009 8:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
McBunny

Germany 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

1st: Get the new iPhone - the camera has become much better! Wink

2nd: It really looks beautiful and I'm sure I will come to Scotland for holiday one day (MrsMcBunny wants to go there, too), I once found a company in the web who does an offroad castle round trip through Scotland Smile (I'll post the link when I will have found it again), but holidays for this and next year are already planned. Smile

But I think I'll have to get a British license plate before, in some regions they may not know that the war against zhe Germans is already over... Rolling Eyes Wink RRS TDV6 HSE, 2006, bonatti grey, ebony interior, rear diff, s/c grille and vents, stormers, privacy, tasmods, iphone integration Wink

Post #233002 Sat Aug 08 2009 7:31am
Josh

United Kingdom 

McBunny wrote:

But I think I'll have to get a British license plate before, in some regions they may not know that the war against zhe Germans is already over... Rolling Eyes Wink

When I was in the Army living in Germany I found it was the other way round. Your local Police were very zealous with foreign plates.

I think you'll find we've now forgotton about WW2.

Weather in Scotland looks better than down here over the last few days. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #233018 Sat Aug 08 2009 5:11pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
Re: Defender offroading in Central Scotland

Tim in Scotland wrote:
So get your RRS up to Scotland/ NW England and save the British B&B's, Hotels and campsites from bankruptcy

Tim - great minds and all that...

Currently writing this from a B&B in Kirk Yetholm - at the end of the Pennine Way. 1st night away on a 15 night tour of Scotland that should see us getting the RRS right up to Cape Wrath on some of the smallest and best drivng roads Scotland has to offer Thumbs Up

Post #233034 Sun Aug 09 2009 6:19am
Tim in Scotland

Supacat below is a link to an msword file there with the directions for the drive on minor roads that 4Wheeldriver, myself and some of the Disco3.co.uk guys did last weekend.
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...adtrip.doc

Lots of back roads in the Stirling to Loch Tay area no ofroading but a lot of them are not on the LR satNav system but are in most good road atlases.

Other great roads to drive - but may be very busy at this time of year - Glasgow/Loch Lomond on the M8/A82 to Tarbert/Arrochar/Inverarary (great castle and Jacobean town to visit, parking a nightmare!)/ Lochgilphead, Ardrishag then double back following the Crinan Canal it entire length, then come back and turn off to Tayviallich/Carsaig/ Oban. Next day Oban/Tyndrum/Glencoe - just passed the Ski centre/chairlift take a small road off to the left to the head of Loch Etive (17miles of single tracks!) one way so you have to come back on the same road. At the main raod again turn left on to Glencoe and down into Ballhulish/Fort William but take the old road via Kinlochleven village to Fort William.
Next day Fort William to Mallaig
One road you just must not miss is the road out to Applecross - be careful though because it is also motorcyclists heaven, and a few have gone to meet their maker driving far too fast!
There are so many great road and uncrowded roads in the north they are too many to list! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #233040 Sun Aug 09 2009 8:17am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
4wheeldriver

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

If youre heading for the north east coast on your travels then give me a shout. Can point you in the direction of some great views for this corner and always glad to see and hear from other members here Very Happy Current, M135i in Estoril Blue with more extras than the cast of Ben Hur.

535d m-sport Platinum grey and a few extras.... Gone

X5 3.0 sd in Space Grey, 20's, Dynamic Pack, Memory Pack, Media Pack, Tow Pack, Rear DVD, Panoramic Sunroof, Steps, 7 Seat Pack, Reversing Camera with moving lines, programmable park heat, etc etc etc - Gone

Range Rover Sport Santorini, privacy, dvd, towpack GONE!!!

Post #233053 Sun Aug 09 2009 2:20pm
Tim in Scotland

Forgot one cracker of a road - the New Military Road from Loch Lomond's west side across to Garelochhead. It's one of the roads TG use for road testing - it was laid by the MOD to avoid their heavy traffic for the Clyde Submarine Base reconstruction using the ordinary roads, was supposed to have been ripped up when they finished but the road is SO good that the DfT paid the landowner £'s millions for it when the MOD had finished. It is a superb road with staggering views across the River Clyde if you are headed west or over Loch Lomond if you are headed east and some amazing gradients! Some say............... it is the UK road you must drive before you die but watch out for some extremely fast cars being driven by some weirdo in a white helmet and white race overalls! Come to think of it if they are filming them the road gets closed so you won't see the STIG - it still has the lockable MOD gates at each end! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #233060 Sun Aug 09 2009 7:08pm
Maverick

Scotland 

If your up for a blast, try the Fettercairn Road, between Banchory and Fettercairn! Steep, tight twisting roads and reverse cambers, it's the mutts nuts of a road! Thumbs Up Maverick off disco3!
Drives white 1996 Defender 90 300TDi

R.I.P. Smudge! 24.10.08
R.I.P Hesko! 29.4.09

Post #233061 Sun Aug 09 2009 7:45pm
Tim in Scotland

Do we need a new section for "Roads to drive before you take up pipe and slippers"??

Here are some more offroad pics from this weekend

2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Mon Aug 10 2009 1:46pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #233063 Sun Aug 09 2009 9:11pm
McBunny

Germany 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

@Josh:
You may, we didn't! Twisted Evil Wink Laughing Laughing

@Tim:
The pictures look great. Thumbs Up As I already said, I will definitely come to Scottland soon. I'm trying to find the company who does the offroad-castle-tour I mentioned earlier (to show the other couple we will go on holiday with next year why we should do this instead of another boat-trip Wink ) but I can't find it at the moment. As soon as I found it, I'll post the link here, the text is in German but they have some pretty nice pictures on their page! Smile RRS TDV6 HSE, 2006, bonatti grey, ebony interior, rear diff, s/c grille and vents, stormers, privacy, tasmods, iphone integration Wink

Post #233115 Mon Aug 10 2009 1:31pm
Tim in Scotland

Some video from last weekend

2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #233117 Mon Aug 10 2009 1:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1