RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > From 70mph to 5 mph on the motorway!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

RAD

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
From 70mph to 5 mph on the motorway!

Going onto the motorway this morning, I floored the accelerator and kept my foot down hoping to reach the traffic at a reasonable speed. Just as I was joining the inside lane.........the car went into limp mode, gearbox fault, suspension lowered indications, pretty dash lights everywhere and the letter ‘F’ (I assume fault, rather than the more obvious meaning) replaced ‘D’.

What fun! 'Sad'

Stopped on the hard shoulder, re-started the car and it was fine, until the same thing happened again.

Anybody suffered the same indignity or know what the fault is.........? .

There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation.

TDV8 HSE MY10 with pretty much everything including a vase of daffs on the back shelf, tropical fish collection in the centre console, hamsters in the spare tyre and finally sheep on the passenger seats.....for weight distribution, what else??

Post #207856 Fri Jan 23 2009 12:17pm
BigMart

United Kingdom 

Hello RAD ,

it needs plugging in for sure , there are lots of thing that will cause the limp mode.

How much were you thrashing it?
ISTR there was an issue with blocked fuel filters causing similar symptoms when "under load" Whistle

if so a quick filter chhange will sort it.
it needs booking in really , but i would call LR response and tell them it wont drive , get somebody out to you and plug it in.

Isnt it about time you sold that car to me ???
remember ive got first refusal Very Happy

Good luck

Mart Jaguar XF 3.0D Portfolio
RRS TDV6 HSE 2006 , Zermatt , Gone

Post #207857 Fri Jan 23 2009 12:22pm
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Kam had this but he lost all power restart and it was ok! RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #207859 Fri Jan 23 2009 12:40pm
Killerbob

Switzerland 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Exactly that happened to me a few years ago, driving the 2002 Freelander TD4 (with the BMW motor), and it turned out to be the fuel injectors.

KB RRS TDV8, black with ivory.

Post #207896 Fri Jan 23 2009 1:54pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

sucks Confused 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC
--------------------------------------------------------------
WINNER - 2009 �Best Avatar� Award
WINNER - 2009 Comedian Of The Year Award

Post #207906 Fri Jan 23 2009 2:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

It's been reported a small number of times on here... could've been pretty dangerous. Take it to the dealer and let them know how you were nearly killed - they should pay attention Smile 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #207914 Fri Jan 23 2009 2:19pm
ChrisP

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Rad,
Similar happened to me and it was a faulty height sensor,just be careful if you drive it for any length of time as I got billed for a shredded rear driveshaft gaiter when I drove home with in at access height.
Got a refund now but its taken me a couple of months and no support from LR CSR. MY2011 HSE Santorini/Ivory/Piano Black/Privacy Glass/TV .Sadly gone.
Audi A5 Sportback Black Edition 3.0 tdi quattro S Line

Post #207935 Fri Jan 23 2009 2:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RAD

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

The simple answer was............mucky fuel filter, every time I floored the throttle, the necessary amount of fuel didn't get through and the management system decided it would be best to go into limp mode!

Isn't there are joke about sh*t in the carb somewhere in history? 'Laughing'

And just before somebody writes it up, yes I know.......it doesn't have a carb! .

There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation.

TDV8 HSE MY10 with pretty much everything including a vase of daffs on the back shelf, tropical fish collection in the centre console, hamsters in the spare tyre and finally sheep on the passenger seats.....for weight distribution, what else??

Post #208961 Thu Jan 29 2009 10:53am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Do you buy your fuel from the same place all the time - might be worth taking it up with them if you do. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #208969 Thu Jan 29 2009 11:07am
Marc31

England 

Yea i've been having this problem for the past month or so too!!

I had LR assistance out a few weeks back and he told me that it was because the fuel filter needed changing and it was probably as a result of using 'cheap' Asda fuel. So I booked it in for a full service and guess what, same problem happened! So i called my nearest dealership (James Edwards @ Brock) and they told me it would be atleast a week and a half till they could do anything.

It actually goes in Monday and i get no courtesy car either so have to get a friend to make the 60 mile round trip to give me a lift back then another 60 mile round trip to pick it up when they've finished tinkering. Not really what I expect for a expensive vehicle thats under warranty.

It was the guy at the service centre who said he'd had his laptop connected up to it and it had 5 faults showing and it was probably something to do with the ECG. Eitherway, everyday this happens to me when i use it to get to work etc and it is very very dangerous especially if you're in heavy traffic and in the fast lane of a four lane carraigeway. Not just that, its bloody embarassing too! Neutral

Post #208991 Thu Jan 29 2009 12:52pm
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I had similar once on the last RRS - was a throttle sensor on the accelerator pedal Rolling Eyes

Post #209008 Thu Jan 29 2009 1:47pm
BigMart

United Kingdom 

Just like I said , Bob

Driver abuse Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Mart Jaguar XF 3.0D Portfolio
RRS TDV6 HSE 2006 , Zermatt , Gone

Post #209026 Thu Jan 29 2009 2:45pm
vipah2002

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 S Java Black

This happened to me, on the day I picked up the car 17th Dec 2005, nearly kiiled my whole family as we lost power on a round -a bout, we had stopped twice on this wholly moterway journey as we had the full dash full of lights....the car was returned to LR on the 19th when we return home, it did the same on the return journey, fail..then drive ok then you would loose power again without notice, LD took the car back and I did not seemy new moter until the 24th Dec....

When I took a sneak look into the workshop the whole engine bay was out....they claimed this was all down to a faulty turbo....

Currently having supension nightmares.....

Post #209031 Thu Jan 29 2009 3:15pm
jk516696

2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey
RRS Transmission Fault

So finally the snow came and I was looking forward to some fun in the RRS. Twisted Evil
Unfortunately the RRS had different ideas. At 2 minutes from home under acceleration it went in to “limp” mode. Crying or Very sad
ransmission Fault Limited Gear Available and the dreaded F.
So a quick call to LRA, and 25 mins later when they answered the phone they agreed to pick the car up Mad
(in fairness it was their worst day of the year with the weather and all).

After 6 hours they picked the car up and then we started the process of a replacement vehicle. No 4x4 available as they had had many LR breakdowns, but I was entitled to a Jaguar. At 5ish the said jaguar arrived…a less than thrilling X type diesel but better than nothing.

So right now , four days in , the car is still at the LR dealer. The faults have been downloaded and sent to LR HQ for analysis. No sign of a fix yet …
Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle

Post #210071 Thu Feb 05 2009 12:31pm
Marc31

England 

I took mine in on the 5th of February for this very same fault. They said it was the gas valves so replaced them, finally got it back on Friday 13th (after problems with the Courtesy car too Rolling Eyes ) and as soon as I get on the motorway, bang, the problem is still there!! Mad

Waiting to hear back from them today but its seriously doing my head in as they seemingly have no idea what it is as the fault codes that it initially showed have been rectified. Neutral

i need my car as i use it everyday and Im giving family a lift to the airport thursday and need it for luggage transportation etc The courtesy cars offered are crap; second rate deisel jag or a dodgy Nissan Quashqai is no good to me Sad

i have already lost 2 days work over this (problems with the courtesy car from enterprise) plus the 70 mile round trip Ive had to make 3 times, not to mention the time aspect Crying or Very sad

How patient should i be and what are my options if they cant sort it?! Confused

Post #211918 Mon Feb 16 2009 3:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>