RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Using the Snow/Ice setting on the jog dial?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Red1903

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Java Black
Using the Snow/Ice setting on the jog dial?

On the way home from work today I hit some awful driving conditions on a quiet country road. The road was covered in fresh deep snow lying on top of ice, as i approached a gentle hill section of the road I decided to try out the snow/ice setting using the jog dial in the centre console. Car was doing around 20mph when I selected the setting, the car kept slowing until it was more or less at a crawling pace with 1500 rpm showing on the clock. The car was making so little progress I changed back to the default road setting where good progress resumed.
Is this normal?

Cheers

Post #210277 Fri Feb 06 2009 10:00pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Doing 20mph on icy roads as described is too fast. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #210278 Fri Feb 06 2009 10:37pm
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I have been testing these settings also - takes some adjusting to - power responses are all adjusted and i have found that when you switch between modes it doesn't always immediately 'update' ie snow peformance in on road mode.....

Post #210281 Fri Feb 06 2009 11:07pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

20mph on ice Shocked Shocked 2.6tonnes doing 20mph on ice, doesn't bear thinking about the amount of damage it would do before coming to a stop. Anybody would think you are trying to get a new car out of the insurance payout! Whistle Whistle 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Sat Feb 07 2009 10:34am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #210286 Fri Feb 06 2009 11:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Josh

United Kingdom 

If you want to drive faster in the snow/ice setting, then all you have to do is apply pressure to the accelerator pedal and it all works as normal. With the exception that it will move off from standstill in second gear for better traction.

But why would you want to Shocked TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #210293 Sat Feb 07 2009 12:18am
Jonnylp

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Is it perfectly safe to apply the 'snow' setting whilst driving ? Or do you need to bring the vehicle to a standstill first ?

Post #210294 Sat Feb 07 2009 12:49am
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

I have been using this extensively this week and TBH - hats off to Land Rover, pure genius Thumbs Up

You can actually feel the grip - sad I know, but I have nicknamed it "panther setting" Whistle Whistle

Simply gives you surety at times of crisis, I absolutely love it. I have used whilst moving at 40-50 mph, just for extra grip in slippery conditions. Used it all the way to work this morning and was doing 60 most of the way, roads were almost clear with just a few icy patches on the outside lane - it still gave me the confidence, just in case.

In the thick stuff, 10 mph max - even with all the gadgetery - its not you, its the muppets in their 2 wheel drives causing chaos. Rolling Eyes

Used it on the FL2 tonight - equally impressive. Thumbs Up L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #210297 Sat Feb 07 2009 1:02am
Red1903

Seems to be a problem for the car if the Snow/ice setting is selected when the car is already moving while in normal mode?

Tried the Snow/ice setting from stand still and the result was impressive, car pulled away no problem in over a foot of snow and was extremely sure footed, the winter tyres do make a huge difference to the RRS.

Forecast is for lots of snow overnight and plan to take the RRS to higher grounds to give it a proper workout and see just how capable this car is....... so far top marks Thumbs Up

Post #210298 Sat Feb 07 2009 1:07am
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Red1903 wrote:
Forecast is for lots of snow overnight and plan to take the RRS to higher grounds to give it a proper workout and see just how capable this car is....... so far top marks Thumbs Up

not alone I hope - remember the RRS isn't invincible - don't get stuck Thumbs Up

Post #210299 Sat Feb 07 2009 1:08am
Jonnylp

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Red1903 wrote:

Good luck !! Make sure you get some pictures !!

Post #210300 Sat Feb 07 2009 1:16am
Red1903

Gents, click on the link and select picture number 2 from the article this will give you some idea of the conditions we can expect tomorrow. Mates taking his defender along in case I get stuck Rolling Eyes

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/weather/article5679646.ece

Post #210302 Sat Feb 07 2009 1:20am
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up

Post #210317 Sat Feb 07 2009 9:52am
DiscoStu

England 

Jonnylp wrote:
Is it perfectly safe to apply the 'snow' setting whilst driving ? Or do you need to bring the vehicle to a standstill first ?

It's designed to be used on the move Thumbs Up

There's a good thread here about the Grass/Gravel/Snow terrain respnse mode on the Discovery A D3 not in drag....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEr9N6EGFNg...Sv8zqkav9F

Post #210318 Sat Feb 07 2009 10:02am
swiss

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Having just been in the mountains training with Range Rover........

The dial can be moved at any time on the move. If you use the snow setting you need to put more pressure on the accelerator to maintain the same speed. I was driving at 60mph with ease on snow and ice - no problems. One thing though. Keep it in high gear. Low settings put too much torque to the wheels - see next point!

If you want to have fun and start drifting, change the dial to sand. Kicks the arse out nicely. Smile

One new thing I did learn was that HDC works in reverse and neutral. Threw the car up a very ice covered slope and when it won't go any further just knock it into neutral and no pedals. It brings itself back down the slope with HDC engaged.

Also did some braking and collision avoidance at speeds up to 100kmh. The RRS remains under control at all times (as long as all the electronics are switched on). Impressive. Although the Defender was quite scary!

Edit: Obviously I was on winter tyres being Switzerland! TDV8 with optional dog.

Post #210324 Sat Feb 07 2009 10:43am
lespes

Guernsey 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Off the top of my head would say that netural has to be engaged when changing to snow setting on the move, as it engages low range, HDC and off road height, all things that require you to engage netural if on the move, otherwise nothing happens.

Post #210332 Sat Feb 07 2009 11:04am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>