RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > How many miles with brake pad warning light?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

McBunny

Germany 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey
How many miles with brake pad warning light?

Hi all,

my brake pad warning light went on yesterday. I drove about 150 miles after the light was on, tomorrow I'll have to drive another 200 miles. Do you think it is safe to drive that distance or should I definitely get the pads changed before the trip tomorrow morning?

What do you think or what are your experiences, how many miles is it safe to drive with the warning light on?

Thanks! Cool RRS TDV6 HSE, 2006, bonatti grey, ebony interior, rear diff, s/c grille and vents, stormers, privacy, tasmods, iphone integration Wink

Post #209483 Sun Feb 01 2009 7:37pm
dadanek

Czech Republic 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

They said me, that 1000km with brake light is ok... RANGE ROVER, MORE THAN A CAR, LESS THAN A KITKAT

Post #209484 Sun Feb 01 2009 7:45pm
Markos

Slovenia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Like dadanek already said it should be ok for 1000km but I would still be gentile with your brakes Very Happy 2008 RRS TDV8 HSE, Java black, Alpaca,.....

Post #209485 Sun Feb 01 2009 7:51pm
C10KO

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

1000 miles and you are on the safe side Thumbs Up
Just do not brake that much, use engine instead where possible Rolling with laughter

Post #209487 Sun Feb 01 2009 8:04pm
terrieremery

England 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
pad warning

be care full mine done 9300 miles and started grinding no warning,it was the outside pad offside was on the metal its only the inside pad nearside with wire

Post #209490 Sun Feb 01 2009 8:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jimmy_75000

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

When the light went on on mine, called CHPR service dept and they told me to come within the next two days as when the light is on, it means that there is very little left of the pad... Range Rover Vogue ‘17 TDV6

Gone: Range Rover Vogue '11 4.4TDV8, Range Rover Sport ‘59, Range Rover Sport ‘56

Post #209495 Sun Feb 01 2009 9:18pm
McBunny

Thanks for all the quick replies guys! Thumbs Up

I had them changed this morning since I have so many business meetings this week and I couldn't have brought the car into the garage on any other day. What was really frightening was the price:

One hour of laboour costs 80 € which is cheap I guess (normal is 119 or 129 meanwhile Rolling Eyes ), but: It took them 1.1 hours to change the brake pads and then another 20 minutes to test-drive the car after they were fitted! Shocked
Together with the original LR brake pads you can imagine what sort of costs I was looking at this morning. Crying or Very sad That's not what you want your week to start like... Sad

I have to buy some really expensive stuff for the RRS now, to distract myself from the expensive monday morning! Whistle Laughing

But since I will drive this RRS for about 30t-40t kms, I think this was the only time I had to pay for the pads. Cool Very Happy RRS TDV6 HSE, 2006, bonatti grey, ebony interior, rear diff, s/c grille and vents, stormers, privacy, tasmods, iphone integration Wink

Post #209638 Mon Feb 02 2009 2:41pm
flydive

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Good thing they are free for 3 years here. Thumbs Up '08 RRS TDV8
I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seals oil

Post #209659 Mon Feb 02 2009 4:19pm
McBunny

They are here as well, but they were not back in 2006 when my car was first registered so I have to pay for them (as well as for the service I will have to have in two months Big Cry ) Big Cry
Wink RRS TDV6 HSE, 2006, bonatti grey, ebony interior, rear diff, s/c grille and vents, stormers, privacy, tasmods, iphone integration Wink

Post #209665 Mon Feb 02 2009 4:58pm
McBunny

McBunny wrote:
One hour of laboour costs 80 € which is cheap I guess (normal is 119 or 129 meanwhile Rolling Eyes ), but: It took them 1.1 hours to change the brake pads and then another 20 minutes to test-drive the car after they were fitted! Shocked

I just realized 1.1 hours was only for the front pads, in total they charged me more than two hours for the change and another 20mins for the test-drive, which is kind of funny because I know my car was only in there for an hour and a half and I know there was just one person working on it (because I could see it all the time)... Rolling Eyes Confused
So, last time in this dealership then... Very Happy

btw: I met an AUDI-mechanic this morning ans asked him out of curiosity about the brake pads of the Q7, how long it takes them to change them and how much they charge for it. His answer: "I don't know how much we charge I'd have to check that, but 2 hours for brake pads on all four corners, that's very ambitious, you won't do it that fast on a Q7!" Shocked Rolling Eyes
So guys, the RRS is a cheaper car than the Q7 after all! Thumbs Up Bow down RRS TDV6 HSE, 2006, bonatti grey, ebony interior, rear diff, s/c grille and vents, stormers, privacy, tasmods, iphone integration Wink

Post #210839 Wed Feb 11 2009 10:58am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

McB, why didn't you query it with the reception at the time - especially as they knew you were waiting. And here was me thinking that you Germans were honest as the day is long Whistle Whistle I'm shocked that there are dishonest car servicing outlets in Germany as well as in the UK Shocked Shocked 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #210842 Wed Feb 11 2009 11:08am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
McBunny

Well, when I paid I only saw the 1.1 hours plus 20 mins of testing which is less than the 1.5 hours it took them so I just made a joke that I could have done it faster with my hands bend on ma back. Wink I just realised they charged me another hour when I had the invoice in my hands this morning to put them into the box with car-invoices. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Who says we are honest? That's a lie, we are just absolutely exact. Thumbs Up I'm sure this dealership has a book and on the page of 02/02/2009 you can read:
"Cheated dumbheads of the day:
1. ...
37. Mr. McBunny was charged two and a half hours of work from one person done in one and a half hour. Stupid posh didn't even recognize the cheat although he has been waiting for the car -> cheat him a lot more next time to explore the borders!
"

Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing

At least Angel was right telling me not to go there. Wink
But, hey, I have enough humour to laugh about it (so I seem to be not German at all although my passport tells I am) and I am a lot too relaxed to really get angry about stuff like that. You know it will happen when you get in a car dealership, they are all bandits and stealers. That's life. Wink A good friend of mine always says "An honest car dealer is a poor car dealer!" - He has to know, he is a very, very rich car dealer! Laughing

At least it's fair in the end: if they are close to going out of business or they want to expand their business or anything else like that I'm back for consulting them and I charge almost five times more than them per hour doing nothing but talking some english rubbish they won't understand. Thumbs Up Mr. Green RRS TDV6 HSE, 2006, bonatti grey, ebony interior, rear diff, s/c grille and vents, stormers, privacy, tasmods, iphone integration Wink

Post #210845 Wed Feb 11 2009 11:28am
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

Angel iz alwayz RIGHT ! Cool Laughing 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC
--------------------------------------------------------------
WINNER - 2009 �Best Avatar� Award
WINNER - 2009 Comedian Of The Year Award

Post #210881 Wed Feb 11 2009 1:52pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

McB I work for a Hamburg based company - I know that Germany businesses are just like those anywhere else in the world - except that German companies never ever make anything defective, it's always the user who broke it! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #210904 Wed Feb 11 2009 3:15pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

Laughing true Smile 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC
--------------------------------------------------------------
WINNER - 2009 �Best Avatar� Award
WINNER - 2009 Comedian Of The Year Award

Post #210917 Wed Feb 11 2009 4:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>