RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > All Season Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Mintleaf

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
All Season Tyres

I just bought a set of 19" rims and was looking for some help with tyres...

I am thinking of getting the Pirelli Scorpion Snow & Ice in 255 50 19. Does anyone know what these tyres are like in normal dry weather? RR Sport TDV6 HSE 07MY Java Black

Post #209448 Sun Feb 01 2009 1:21pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

very good below 7 degrees temperature Smile Cool but they are snow or winter tyres.... i have them for wintertime on our car Smile 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC
--------------------------------------------------------------
WINNER - 2009 �Best Avatar� Award
WINNER - 2009 Comedian Of The Year Award

Post #209451 Sun Feb 01 2009 2:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I have them for the winter - they are 15 months old and have no wear on them................................ coz I have never bothered to fit them and they have been gethering dust at the back of the garage although if the forecast for next week is anything to go by I might be wishing that I was out on the drive fitting them now Laughing
Might have to make do with the Def90 on it's MTRs if we get a big (5cms is big???) dump here 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #209458 Sun Feb 01 2009 2:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Red1903

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Java Black

I put on vredestein's wintrac 4 extreme tyre's at the start of November and have no problem recomending them Thumbs Up

£800 fitted

Last edited by Red1903 on Sun Feb 01 2009 4:02pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #209461 Sun Feb 01 2009 3:40pm
Killerbob

Switzerland 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I have the 20" rims and I am continuing to use them over the winter. I put on the Vredestein tires, and have the Conties for summer. I cannot recommend anough to have two sets, for summer and winter. All-years are dangerous, because they are not good enough in the winter, and they are expensive, because they are poor summer tires.

KB RRS TDV8, black with ivory.

Post #209462 Sun Feb 01 2009 3:57pm
Tim in Scotland

Pirelli recommends the Scorpion Snow and Ice for use in temperature below +7c - but as I say above I have a set that have never been fitted to the car - mainly because I spent most of last winter overseas, but on the couple of days of snow that we had while I was at home in February and March last year I had no problems on the standard Pirellis that my TDv8 came with.
My previous experiences with Pirellis have not been good and I was wary of them at first, but the set I'm running at the moment seem to be wearing very well and have good grip in the wet and snow. If the weather stays cold and snowy for February I will probably change wheels and tyres before I drive to London and go to the Coventry/Gaydon at the end of the month just in case we get more snow. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #209464 Sun Feb 01 2009 5:24pm
C10KO

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Went for the same combination as KB. Thumbs Up
Can only recommend to have two sets...

Post #209471 Sun Feb 01 2009 6:19pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

In 2007/2008 I ran the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow (PSI&S) from November to March. Got on really well with them. They felt very grippy in all road / weather combinations and no noise. Only downside was they did wear quite quickly. Certainly much prefered them to the standard Conti's I ran in the "summer".

This year I fitted another set of PSI&S but am struggling with them. They don't seem nearly as grippy as last year's set. They are very slightly different though as apparently the set I used last year were made specifically for Porsche Cayenne's and used Rayon rather than Nylon in the side wall's. This year I have a set that Pirelli told me were "more suited" to the RRS (same size and tread pattern just nylon not rayon). I have been having suspension problems with the RRS recently, so it is possible I am unfairly judging the tyres, but at present I have only limited confidence in these.

You might want to look at Pirelli ATS - these are a new tread pattern introduced by Pirelli recently and seem to be getting very good reviews as an excellent allrounder. Speed rating is H not V though so you would need to ensure they were recommended for the Sport. RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #209479 Sun Feb 01 2009 7:12pm
Korenai

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Just got my Ventus RH06, and today is snowing a lot. I'll soon post my feedback.

Post #209586 Mon Feb 02 2009 11:22am
Tim in Scotland

Just got back from the tyre fitters after blowing the dust off my PS S&I 19"'s and two things I have noticed straight away - higher profile (50 instead of 40) = a much more compliant ride in the TDv8 Thumbs Up
While we have plenty of snow here now the roads have been salted and are wet rather than snowy and there is a significant reduction in the amount of spray kicked between 50 and 60 mph - I don't know why but it was noticable on my way home that I only had to use the rear wash and wipe a couple of times rather than let it run on intermitent all the time.

Drawback of changing wheels and tyres - Pirelli assymetricos and wheels off I can see how badly scuffed the 20" rims are Big Cry Big Cry so it looks like I need to find a wheel refurbisher to look at them. And I can see how badly the Brembo front brake callipers appear to have oxidised - the glossy grey that they used to be is now all matt and dull pewter colour. May have been last winter's road salt that has done it, I don't know. Any suggestions for refurbing them? Big Cry Big Cry

BUT inspection of the rubber shows that they are worn very evenly and after 13500miles I have at least another 10k miles left in them as they all have 6mm+ tread left!

BTW anybody in Central Scotland/ Stirling area looking for good deals on tyres or tyre services then I can recommend Budget Tyres at Springkerse - I have had some cracking deals on tyres from them and last week had two flat tyres from the Defender looked at for punctures and fixed and today they changed over the wheels for me all for free - so I donated £20 to their coffe and biscuit fund! I bought a set of 5 BFG MTR's for the 90 from them 3 years ago and got them fitted, valved and balanced as well all for £96 pounds a corner.
There are two Budget Tyre centres in Stirling - different companies and totally different attitudes to customer service - the other one to be avoided like the plague is in the Back O'Hill industrial estate - a bunch of robbers. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #209606 Mon Feb 02 2009 12:38pm
McBunny

Germany 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow is a top choice for winter! Thumbs Up

But as all the others did, I would recommend to get a second set of tyres for the summer. Changing is not that expensive and it costs the same to you buy one set every two or two sets every four years! Cool RRS TDV6 HSE, 2006, bonatti grey, ebony interior, rear diff, s/c grille and vents, stormers, privacy, tasmods, iphone integration Wink

Post #209635 Mon Feb 02 2009 2:35pm
Mintleaf

Thanks for all the responses - i ordered a set of Pirelli Snow & Ice and will have them fitted tomorrow - best deal i could get was £610 for four tyres fitted / balanced.

I will keep the 20" for summer use...

once again thanks... RR Sport TDV6 HSE 07MY Java Black

Post #209649 Mon Feb 02 2009 3:27pm
McBunny

Germany 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

Mintleaf wrote:
best deal i could get was £610 for four tyres fitted / balanced.

Damn, are they so cheap in 19"?! I paid 320 € fitted/balanced for EACH tyre in 20"! Shocked Confused RRS TDV6 HSE, 2006, bonatti grey, ebony interior, rear diff, s/c grille and vents, stormers, privacy, tasmods, iphone integration Wink

Post #209657 Mon Feb 02 2009 4:04pm
Tim in Scotland

McBunny wrote:
Changing is not that expensive

Cost me ZERO this morning to have the 20's taken off and the 19's checked, rebalanced (nothing needed as they have never been used since they were fitted to the rims last year) and fitted, by the same local company who supplied the tyres 15 months ago. As it's the second tyre job they have done for me for free in the last week I gave them £20 for coffee time biscuit fund (which I suspect the fitter I gave it to put it straight into his pocket as a tip!) 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #209679 Mon Feb 02 2009 5:46pm
Mintleaf

Tim, when you change from 20" to 19" can you use the same wheel nuts? cheers RR Sport TDV6 HSE 07MY Java Black

Post #209680 Mon Feb 02 2009 5:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>