RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Adaptive Headlights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 
Adaptive Headlights

I keep getting flashed by oncoming cars when my headlights are on so I've come to the conclusion that either 1. They love the car, or 2. I must be blinding people though badly aligned lights.

Is there a way of adjusting the lights or is this a visit to LR service? 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #209133 Fri Jan 30 2009 8:37am
Peter

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Java Black

Hi VA

I travel to Belgium almost monthly so have become used to changing the lights to left hand drive setting from their UK setting when on the Eurotunnel train.

This is not very clear in the drivers manual and nor will most dealers be able to assist ( I asked 2 dealers and neither could do it). When I was at Gaydon on an LR drive day I asked one of their tech-heads there and he showed me.

You have to lift the bonnet and remove the screw-on cover on the rear of the lamp unit. Make sure there is no power to the lights as there is a very high voltage on the zenon lamps. Put your index finger in as if you were going to try to remove the lamp unit and feel for a small lever on the right hand side of the lamp unit where the connector attaches (imagine you are in the car looking towards the front - its on the right or inside for the nearside lamp).

It is normally in the "up" position for the UK setting so move it down to the LHD setting. It is not easy to find this lever and it is quite "flimsy" (not tough) so be careful not to bend it.

You would have thought that such a function would be automated on a car of this value but no, you have to get your hands dirty! It's finally gone! Replaced with BMW 730SE in Sophisto grey Xirallic finish with Oyster (Ivory) and black interior. DAB, Climate glass, Ceramic iDrive and gear selector, power boot and iPhone Bluetooth pack - luvvin' it!

I miss my old RRS "bucket" rattling around but it just had to go!

Post #209136 Fri Jan 30 2009 10:19am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Misery

United Kingdom 

I had that in the FF VA it was a trip to the dealer for me. mind you sometimes it is just old farts, cause the lights are so bright. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #209137 Fri Jan 30 2009 10:20am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
McBunny

Germany 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

or 3. There's a speed camera ahead! Cool RRS TDV6 HSE, 2006, bonatti grey, ebony interior, rear diff, s/c grille and vents, stormers, privacy, tasmods, iphone integration Wink

Post #209142 Fri Jan 30 2009 10:30am
Pelyma

England 

I had this with my D3 a trip to the dealers sorted it. Porsche Cayenne S Diesel 66 Plate

Post #209143 Fri Jan 30 2009 10:34am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

They are welcoming you into Saga VA!

The other thing that can be a problem for oncoming traffic when you have the adaptives is that they go through a self level check every so often and that can confuse on coming drivers into thinking you have come onto full beam.

Have you put the head lights on before starting up and then watched the "dance" routine they go through when you put the key to position 3? They sort of go "cross-eyed" then full outward pointing beams and then focused! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #209151 Fri Jan 30 2009 10:49am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Went to my friend local dealer Guava in Guildford who checked the lights and they were fine. They did however adjust them to be a little lower - there is a hex key socket at the top of the headlight unit that you can turn to adjust the level of the beam. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #209163 Fri Jan 30 2009 11:34am
Alicatt

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

When you change your UK dip over for driving on the right it flattens the beam and removes the sidelobe from the left, I have right hand drive lights and they have a diffrent beam pattern when set normal. For in the uk switching them over it flattens the beam and removes the sidelobe from the right.
When they are switched over they have no sidelobes at all.
My MG has Xenon lights too, at least I don't have to remove the grill and take the lights out to swap them over Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #209177 Fri Jan 30 2009 2:10pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

Just flash them back VA they'll soon realise you are not on main beam Rolling with laughter

It's just that these bulbs are so much better than the old stuff and some people haven't caught up with that fact yet. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #209289 Sat Jan 31 2009 11:42am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

This is starting to p Censored me off. I will get every other car flashing me to tell me my headlights are too bright! Do others with the bi-xenon adaptives get this too? 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #209501 Sun Feb 01 2009 9:37pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Yes, but only occasionally, they don't seem to bother most folks though. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #209503 Sun Feb 01 2009 9:39pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I haven't noticed many people flashing at me. Mind you, I don't take a whole lot of notice ... RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #209504 Sun Feb 01 2009 9:40pm
Lookers Park Royal

I tend to find this phenomenon whilst accelerating hard! If someone is coming the other way and you dab the throttle it is quite easy in a TDV8 to bring the front up enough for someone coming the other way to think you are on main beam. Unfortunately the adaptive headlights can't react quite that quickly.

James Thumbs Up

Post #209508 Sun Feb 01 2009 9:47pm
C10KO

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

VA, I do get it from time to time when in the UK...
Just flash back Rolling with laughter

Post #209509 Sun Feb 01 2009 9:51pm
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

Would this be useful to you, VA..?

Click image to enlarge
 Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #209538 Mon Feb 02 2009 4:49am