RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > VAT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

LeeR

United Kingdom 
VAT

I am a disabled person and am looking to buy an RRS for the first time for personal use without paying VAT.

Have read in the papers that some dealers are not prepared to do this anymore as some disabled people have done this as a business and spoilt it for the genuine ones like myself.

Can anyone help with any experiences / advise.

Thanks.

Post #202047 Sun Dec 28 2008 3:05pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Welcome to the forum

As far as I'm aware as long as the car has been substantially and permanantly adapted for disabled use then the vehicle will be VAT exempt (plus probably a few other prerequisites to ensure the rules aren't abused). Really makes little difference to the dealer as they just won't have to pay the output VAT at quarter end.

Kaine

Post #202049 Sun Dec 28 2008 3:13pm
LeeR

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes you are right as long as the vehicle is adapted VAT should be exempt but many dealers have stopped doing this due to misuse by a minority.

Post #202054 Sun Dec 28 2008 3:26pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

in that case I'm not sure - in case of the VAT issue point, the dealer would have to show proof to the VAT office that the sale was 0% in line with Tax leglisation - maybe some dealers haven't been asking for proof of disability?? In that case the VAT office would reject the 0% sale and enforce the dealer to pay the VAT - as long as you provide the dealer with evidence of disability and that the vehicle is adapted I can't see a problem

Kaine

Post #202055 Sun Dec 28 2008 3:44pm
Perrys

United Kingdom 

This has been the subject of a massive scam. Without going into too much detail, disabled people have been buying cars and selling them straight on with a tidy profit.

We are still prepared to sell vehicles to the disabled however we would need to be sure that the vehicle is being supplied to a disabled person for their own use.

If you would like to progress this drop me a pm. Perrys For New & Used Range Rover Sports

We also sell Full Fat Range Rovers

Post #202066 Sun Dec 28 2008 5:53pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

On a serious note, when did the switch happen Exclamation Question I assumed these were standard issue until somebody kicked up a stink........answers on a a postcard............. L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #202070 Sun Dec 28 2008 6:54pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

i'm not 100% on the deal my dad got on his Lexus, but the car was bought for a gentleman to order, and this included on the order full disability modifications.

The day before he was due to collect, he decided he didn't want it, and wanted a more expensive model, they had one in stock to his liking and transfered the mods to that car.

My dad been lucky got a phone call and went to view the car a Lexus RX400h and swapped it there and then and drove home it in the same day. We a huge discount which i believe was the VAT element, the car hadn't been registered, and he is the 1st name on the log book.

I believe he got the deal and discount as they had paid for it as a disability car with out the VAT, and he had the cash waiting.

Post #202088 Sun Dec 28 2008 8:11pm
kljw

Scotland 

hi
having read over the comments made, i would like to add my words of wisdom. i am paraplegic, and therefore disabled. also, i am a perminant wheelchair user.

the rules for being vat exemp, do not apply to all those who are classed as dissabled, they only apply to those of us who are perminant wheelcahair users or need to be carried around on some form of strecher.

just because a person is classed as disabled, that does NOT give them the right to claim the vat exemptiuon. people who are issued with a 'blue badge' are classed as disabled, but there disablity could be in some form, that still allows them to walk and not need the perminant use of a chair. it is this, that makes the difference for the vat exemption.

when i purchased my last car, i had to obtain a letter from my GP stating that my paraplega was perminant, and that as a result, i would need the use of a chair for life.

also, i would ask you to note, that the dealer is responsable for making sure that the person claiming the exemption, is elagable. if it turns out that they are not, the dealer is then liable to pay the vat regardless,

there have been a few people who abused the rules, and they now have been delt with, and the rules have been tightend. those of us who meet the criteria set, have nothiung to fear, all we have to do is give the required proof to the dealer. not all people who are elegable for vat releief, abuse the situatiuon, some of us abide by the rules, and are some what displeased with those who have abused the exemtions given to us.

hope this makes it a little clear, sorry for the rant, and i hope, that if there are any dealers who read this, they still have the good sense, to help thoes who are a little more difortunate than others.

keith

Post #205022 Sun Jan 11 2009 10:58pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Keith - thanks for clarifying and you have a right to rant. These tax breaks are there to help those who really need them and for people to abuse the system isn't only an insult to all tax payers but especially those who need it most. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #205024 Sun Jan 11 2009 11:06pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Keith - your not ranting at all - basically as I said then Thumbs Up

Post #205025 Sun Jan 11 2009 11:18pm
dazsear

England 

I know what you mean about people abusing the system, my son is disabled and we get a motability car for him (well the wife does) and you would be amazed how many people abuse that system....it makes my blood boil Mad

Daz Thumbs Up 2017 4.4 Autobiography FFRR - love this car
Gone - VW T5 Transporter
Long gone - 2009 Disco
Long gone but never out of my thoughts - 2008 TDV8 HST

Post #205027 Sun Jan 11 2009 11:49pm
kljw

Scotland 
food for thought

read the comments made since my last post. would it not be a good world to live in, not that it is that bad already, if we all played by the rules?

if there is anyone in Scotland Reaing this, who qualifies for the VAT exemption, and are looking at Land Rovers, then Try Morrisons of Stirling, ask for Chris, or Pentland in Edinburgh, as for Paul. have used both these dealerships, never a problem, but they have checked things out first, which is what they should do.

keith

Post #206262 Fri Jan 16 2009 12:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1