RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > iPod Classic 120GB - No Forward/Back on Steering Wheel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

DeletedUser2

iPod Classic 120GB - No Forward/Back on Steering Wheel

Hi, just bought an iPod Classic 120GB for xmas and tried it in the Land Rover iPod cradle already installed in the car. Audio works OK but the forward/back buttons on the steering wheel will not do anything on the iPod. I tried a slightly older 160GB iPod Classic (6 months old) and everything works fine.

Does anybody know what the problem is/experienced the same thing?! I cannot understand this. Both iPods appear to be running the same software version.

I did a quick search on the site but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Post #202479 Tue Dec 30 2008 7:35pm
Killerbob

Switzerland 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I do not have an answer for you, but can tell you when I initially bought my iPod Classic (160GB) I had problems with an older charger kit of mine (one of these multi-chargers, car, train, plane, wall, all-over the world, and all electronic items). It simply did not want to work, so I took it back to Apple, and they replaced it, and then all worked. Sometimes the pins are not completely connected, and the only fix is to get a replacement.

KB RRS TDV8, black with ivory.

Post #202497 Tue Dec 30 2008 8:11pm
BKHK

Australia 

If the cradle or charger is older than the iPod, sometimes, as Killerbob says, the pins are not always aligned. I had the same problem, bought a nice new iPod for the RRS which wouldn't work on the cradle I had.

I had to go back to a car charger and an iPod touch with no steering wheel controls.

Post #202538 Wed Dec 31 2008 12:32am
Killerbob

Switzerland 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

What I also mean is; it is not always a problem of incompatibility, it can also be a faulty iPod. Over the years I have had two "broken" iPods.

BTW - I have two iPod classics, one old Photo, and one new 160GB. The Photo will connect using a USB connection to my Mac Pro, and I can transfer Photos, addresses, and usually a few songs. However, it will eventually loose the connection to iTunes. If I then use a Firewire connection, all works 100%. With the new Classic, I have to use the USB connection, and the Firewire connection will not work at all. With my Nanos, it doesn't matter. Go figure.....

KB RRS TDV8, black with ivory.

Post #202573 Wed Dec 31 2008 10:23am
Murdered out

United States 2008 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Java Black

sounds like there is a lose connection with the module that is behind your center console. the wires have a odd fit that causes them to come lose easily. I had to tape mine together so they had a tight conections. 

Post #202700 Thu Jan 01 2009 10:06am
DeletedUser2

Thanks for the help guys. Spent some time today looking at it and turns out the connections weren't lining up properly. Also I found some guides/adaptors for different iPods and there is a packer for thinner iPods which I have now installed and seems to line up the connections right everytime.

Thanks again! Problem solved!

Post #203321 Sun Jan 04 2009 6:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1