RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Is this Remapping mallarky really worth it?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

ademergen

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Is this Remapping mallarky really worth it?

Hey guys, as u can imagine my Tdv6 is beginning to feel slightly sluggish... just wondering if anyone has any experience of chip tuning on a tdv6? does it actually increase mpg? What really p Censored 's me off about the auto box is the delay in the gear shift... I whack my foot down to stop some chav from thinking hes alll that, and all i get is a 2 second delayed surge of power... Will tuning help this problem?
and if so anybody know anybody? and lastly will my dealer turn to me and say your warranty is not valid cuz u remapped the engine?

cheers guys Miss my TVR, Miss my 740i, BUT LOVE MY RANGY

Newby, YAMAHA FZR600 (nice easy learner one, well thats what I told my Mum...)

Post #186100 Sun Aug 31 2008 9:37am
Jonathan

England 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Hi

I have a TDV8 and had mine chipped and it made a great difference - pulling away is much more prompt, mpg has improved by 2 or 3 miles per gallon (in other words 10%..) and the whole enjoyment of driving the car has improved.

I'd strongly recommend it - I gather the improvents for a TDV6 are even better. I had my 15k service a week or so ago at a main dealer and they never mentioned it.

I used the guys in WAkefield to do it, although you'll probably want someone a little nearer to home.

Good luck

Jonathan Jaguar XKR Convertible
MY 2012 Range Rover Sport TDV6 Autobiography in Fujian White....Mmmmmmm
Range Rover Evoque 2.2 Prestige in white - gone
Porsche Boxster S White with lots of extras! Gone
Lotus Elise 2011 Touring for sunny days - gone!

Previously....
RRS TDV8 Black 57 Plate
645ci
Jag XKR Convertible (my wife still loves this car!)
BMW 530i
BMW 328i (I loved this car)
Golf R32

Post #186101 Sun Aug 31 2008 9:45am
Rupert

Ireland 

Jonathan wrote:
.......... I had my 15k service a week or so ago at a main dealer and they never mentioned it............

I don’t think the service guys will know it’s re-mapped.

But I recall reading that as soon as the garage hook up their diagnostic machine to the RRS & upload any updates, or do any tweaks it over writes the re-map returning the ECU to the default LR settings. Which will then require you to have the re-map done over again, after each service.

Now I could be raving here & I’m sure someone better in the know than I, will come along, with a more definitive answer on this. But in the meantime it would be something to do some research on. As it would be a right pain to have the re-map done over & over again !!

Post #186103 Sun Aug 31 2008 10:00am
bex

Yep...I've had many car remapped and must say it's worth it in terms of performance but costs vary wildly....you can pay anything from 250 to 600. You also have to be wary that you are not simply paying 'reseller' prices.

As for dealer's over wrtiting....guess you just have to live with it...happened on a Volvo of mine...remap guy installed the map again but I dont think he was impressed, as he had a 200 mile journey to meet me as I'd moved....ooops!

Post #186110 Sun Aug 31 2008 11:28am
bellautos

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Hi
If your thinking of a remap and dealer warranty is a issue then this product may be of help to you.

It will give you the means to return the tuning back to standard before any dealer visits.

http://www.bellautoservices.co.uk/index.php?page=news#12

I know the gearbox does have some laze even when remaped but you will find the take up a lot better.
The torque converter in the auto box is partley to blame so mapping it will not totaly iliminate it.

Good engine and gearbox servicing does help keep the car feeling sharp to set off.

Regards Pete 

Post #186111 Sun Aug 31 2008 11:30am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
flydive

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Why is a separate module necessary?
A USB cable with the appropriate software on the laptop should be enough.

I use this for my bike works like a charm and no separate module.

http://tuneboy.com.au/ '08 RRS TDV8
I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seals oil

Post #186118 Sun Aug 31 2008 12:51pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

There is quite a lot if difference between a bike ecu and a fully CAN controled ecu that is on the TDV6 Lion engine.

The very simple ecu fitted to most bikes are K-Line communication only, this cable can be made with a few very simple components for less than 20 quid, unlike the communications needed for the modern CAN systems.

Also the seperate module in the BAS interfaces case is to eliminate the need for a pc once programed correctly.
Your cable will always need a USB port from a pc to work which is not pratical in some cases to leave a pc in your car perminantly if you ever wanted to change the mapping or make fault code diagnosis.

Regards Pete 

Post #186121 Sun Aug 31 2008 12:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
evolve

flydive wrote:
Why is a separate module necessary?
A USB cable with the appropriate software on the laptop should be enough.

I use this for my bike works like a charm and no separate module.

http://tuneboy.com.au/

The main reason is to eliminate the use of Windows on the PC which is not the most stable operating system.

Post #186206 Mon Sep 01 2008 10:34am
bex

I understood it was so that the tuning software couldnt be cloned off the laptop as it is very easy to copy windows based programs?

Post #186245 Mon Sep 01 2008 2:26pm
evolve

Our sub dealers use Windows based software and the tuning software/files are encrypted so they can not be easily copied. Of course nothing is impossible...

Post #186246 Mon Sep 01 2008 2:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1