RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > sudden loss of power, warning lights and error messages
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

muffd

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
sudden loss of power, warning lights and error messages

I drove off from cold this morning. Half a mile down the road, I slowed for a roundabout, turned left onto a main road and all of a sudden a few warning lights came on, something chimed and I had absolutely no power. The engine would only idle and the throttle would not respond.

One of the warning lights looked like the handbrake on-light, but this one was amber on the rev-counter side of the dash. I also had a brake warning message and some other message saying failure of some kind.

I pulled over. switched the engine off and restarted. Once I did this, all was normal.

Any ideas chaps?

Graham If you see a bandwagon - it's too late.....

Java Black HSE TDV6 O7, alpaca, FF sunroof, adaptive Xenon headlights, SC grill, black privacy glass, clear indicators, tow-pack, colour-coded all black.Gone, but forever in my memory. Until my new one comes...
In the stables:Mercedes CLK 230K Cab W208; BMW 318d; VW Golf (LHD) 1.6 SE in Spain:New RRS to come soon...

Post #218092 Wed Mar 18 2009 7:39pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Take it to a dealer and ask them to download the fault log from the ECU that will tell them if you need to do anything about it. If your car still has LRA coverage and you are really concerned call them out, the first thing the techy will do is plug a laptop into the car and download the log so he can diagnose the fault. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #218095 Wed Mar 18 2009 7:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

This has been reported a few times and very often as you report - restart the car and it all goes away. As Tim says, if you're concerned (and this could have happened in a much less conducive situation, i.e. on a motorway) then get the dealer to have a look. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #218172 Thu Mar 19 2009 10:09am
Leo

Kenya 

Could be an EGR valve on its way out, best to call LR assist.

Post #218175 Thu Mar 19 2009 10:18am
RAD

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Happened to me.........problem was a dirty fuel filter.

Dealer replaced it and car was back to its old self again! .

There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation.

TDV8 HSE MY10 with pretty much everything including a vase of daffs on the back shelf, tropical fish collection in the centre console, hamsters in the spare tyre and finally sheep on the passenger seats.....for weight distribution, what else??

Post #218537 Fri Mar 20 2009 4:13pm
muffd

It happened again today. Loss of power, warning lights and the following error messages (I wrote them down this time - and called Land Rover Assist):

1. Suspension Lowered
2. Transmission Fault Limited Gears Available
3. Park Brake Fault
4. HDC Fault system not available

The LR Assist guy was really helpful and his laptop diagnosed a fuel supply / insufficient fuel pressure fault.

Interestingly, I got a 'water in fuel' message 3 or 4 weeks ago and I replaced the filter and the sensor.

I have noticed on a couple of occasions over the last week or so that I have had to crank the engine for double or triple the normal amount of time first thing in the morning.

The LR Assist guy investigated further and found that the valve used to bleed the fuel system (a shrader air type valve similar to that on the wheels) was passing a very small amount of diesel. This is located above the engine at the rear of the engine bay.

The system has now been reset and the valve tightened and no more diesel is passing the valve - so, fingers crossed, this will sort it.

I suspect that this is a chain of events linked to the faulty sensor on my fuel filter. The chap who fitted the new filter and sensor at the beginning of the month had to bleed air from the system at the valve that was passing fuel.

The Land Rover chap said today that he has seen this fault before and his immediate thought was to replace the fuel filter as it seemed to be a fuel supply issue. Given that I had this done 3 weeks ago led him to investigate further and that's when we found the diesel spray around the leaking valve.

One to keep in mind if anyone else encounters this fault.

Java Black HSE TDV6 O7, alpaca, FF sunroof, adaptive Xenon headlights, SC grill, black privacy glass, clear indicators, tow-pack, colour-coded all black.Gone, but forever in my memory. Until my new one comes...
In the stables:Mercedes CLK 230K Cab W208; BMW 318d; VW Golf (LHD) 1.6 SE in Spain:New RRS to come soon...

Post #218982 Mon Mar 23 2009 7:51pm
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

muffd wrote:
...Interestingly, I got a 'water in fuel' message 3 or 4 weeks ago and I replaced the filter and the sensor. Graham

You don't have to replace the filter everytime you get the 'water in fuel' message - you could drain the filter...

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...Filter.pdf Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #219059 Tue Mar 24 2009 12:55am
mr_moped

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

Who replaced your fuel filter muffd? And did they bleed your fuel lines afterwards?

When I replaced the fuel filter the car wouldn't start until I opened the mentioned valve and removed the air in the system.

LR told me that you could only bleed the system with a tool only available to LR dealers. Surprisingly a tyre valve removal tool is all it took!

Post #219084 Tue Mar 24 2009 9:05am
muffd

Hi Mr_Moped

Sorry for the delay in replying - been in Spain.

I had the filter replaced at a small independent (a mate's garage who also has 4x4 hire business with 50 or so Land Rover vehicles in the fleet). The mechanic who fitted the filter did not fill it with diesel and it would not start as you indicated. We had to bleed the air with a tyre valve removal tool and that sorted it. However, the valve was leaking diesel after this and this caused my problems.

Cheers

Post #222310 Tue Apr 14 2009 7:15pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

I had exactly this today whilst travelling on the M4, its scared the living sh Censored t out of me. One minute I was doing 70mph Whistle and the next, it was cut of power with the ever so helpful dashboard signage of "Reduced power mode".

Luckily it was a reasonably quiet M4 enabling me to shuffle over to the hard shoulder. I opted for the 25mph crawl with the hazards showing rather than the stop and restart tactic. I was only 1 mile from the Reading exit. Once on the off ramp and being stuck behind traffic, I turned her off and all was well again.

After a quick phonecall to Lancasters Reading, they took it straight into the workshop to "plug her in" Thumbs Up

The problem: A sensor, on order and to be fitted upon arrival. ECU fault code logged and cleared and all is well again. Never has it happened before and it probably won't again, needless to say, it will get a new sensor anyway, but quite frankly it was not a very nice experience, it brought back memories of driving my 2.7 D3 and the distinct lack of power Whistle Whistle Wink L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #222333 Tue Apr 14 2009 8:48pm
muffd

Hi Will

it's frightening. It happened to me twice before the nice man from LR Assist sorted my fault. The first time was on a busy road that I had just entered from a roundabout and I almost caused a pile up.

I clipped the kerb (again) today and now have a 'dogs ear' hanging off my front NS tyres sidewall. My local tyre garage loves me and my wife - 6 tyres in less that 12 months so far and now need another one. Embarassed If you see a bandwagon - it's too late.....

Post #222344 Tue Apr 14 2009 9:09pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

Muffd, get it booked in and resolved.....you never know when it might strike again Thumbs Up

As for the tyres / wheels.........jees Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wink

Good luck Thumbs Up L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #222367 Wed Apr 15 2009 1:04am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1