Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > The Facts about LPG Conversions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey
The Facts about LPG Conversions

The FACTS about LPG conversions

I looked into this myself recently, I thought that maybe getting rid of the TD6 RR and it's 104 litre diesel fill ups at the extortionate rates could be lessened. I had a real whizzy idea of getting a 2nd hand Supercharged Range Rover with one year's warranty, low miles for about £30k, then spending the money on an LPG conversion and having the best car ever for little fuel expense.

I did lots of research and here are the facts before you jump into it. These are Base 101 and onwards...

LPG conversions can be done on petrol engine cars (of course!) and also diesel but rarely.
    Conversions costs vary from about £1700 for a small family car upwards
    JE Engineering will do it for £3K for a 4.4 petrol, or £3500 + VAT for a Supercharged FFRR, RRS SC or D3.
    The Supercharged engine, the Sport and the Disco conversions have been problematic and have engine fault light issues - JE are suspending conversions until this is fixed
    You'd need to spend a large amount on Petrol or diesel to recoup the costs ( I do a minimum of 20K a year and would still need to achieve 16 mpg from a FFRRSC to pay it back within 2 years!)
    Doing 20,000 miles a year yould save £1600 on fuel as compared to diesel if you manage 16mpg.
    There is a minor reduction in your Tax disc for getting it done (£10-20!)
    Your insurance WILL increase marginally
    Any Land Rover warranty on the car is completely and TOTALLY voided. Even if the stereo breaks, you cannot claim on warranty, they will not touch your car.
    You will also have to take your car elsewhere for servicing for the same reason
    Your MPG will decrease on LPG by about 2-3 miles and the performace is marginally affected also
    The LPG tanks although stated as 95 litres can actually only get about 85-88 litres filled and sit in the spare wheel well
    You keep the standard fuel tank so you effectively have nearly 200 litres of fuel on board
    The engine always starts on petrol then switches to LPG automatically
    A small interior switch tells you the amount of LPG left
    The conversion takes about 5 days and typically comes with a 2 year warranty
    The engine runs hotter on LPG and you run the risk of overheating issues such as head gaskets etc

For these reasons and more I decided to not go ahead with a conversion, having a Range Rover out of warranty is not what I am personally looking for but for some doesn't matter.

It is said that it's only worthwhile doing a conversion if you do high miles but as I found, even for 20K/year, the return on investment is still 2 years, and that's if you can achieve 16mpg from the FFRRSC engine, which I think is not possible when you take into account the MPG drops by 2-3 when running on LPG.

I did a huge spreadsheet charting different mileage and MPG figures againt the price of LPG and Diesel and in the end, you'd need to be doing about 30,000 miles to get a quick enough return.

I hope some of this has been useful to you.

Adam L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Last edited by RRUK on Fri Jul 04 2008 4:43pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #174145 Tue Jun 24 2008 8:32am
Pelyma

England 

You can lpg convert a diesel, but it is done for different reasons - not economy! Porsche Cayenne S Diesel 66 Plate

Post #174146 Tue Jun 24 2008 8:38am
Havank

I did the same last month

(i do not know why it has to be a big spreadsheet as i could do it in three lines Razz

Diesel
Petrol
LPG

And yes i came to the same conclusion on 20k it doesn't make much sense it takes two year to get the pay back and one thing is always puzzling me

I have driven lpg cars before (yes we dutch people liked them) but i had one going up in flames as due to the gas flowing back into the airfilter (comen problem)

THen the cold start and the car stalling then no longer being able to start it (now cars start on petrol and only switch over to lpg when the engine is warm)

Traveling abroad - the shuttle doesn't want lpg cars so you have to go on the boat

Next - resale value- People in the UK are not familiair with LPG conversion - and the unkown has a adverse effect on the resale value. may the conversion only cost 2k you probably loose more on the resale value, as lesss people will be interested in your car

Hence the reason for me looking/buying at a smart

Post #174150 Tue Jun 24 2008 9:13am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Havank, thanks for a real life user experience, good to know! L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #174151 Tue Jun 24 2008 9:16am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Havank wrote:
Traveling abroad - the shuttle doesn't want lpg cars so you have to go on the boat

Good info Adam/Havank Thumbs Up Is that right about LPG cars not being able to go on le Shuttle? Never knew that Very Happy 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #174172 Tue Jun 24 2008 11:43am
simonsi

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost

I thought that used to be the case but had changed relatively recently, might be worth checking. Hardly a deal maker/breaker though Sad Cheers

Simon

2007 2.7HSE 20" Wheels
2005 TDV6 D3 S Auto - Zambezi Silver - JE Tune - RRS 19" - Sidesteps - Roof Rails
Body Side Strips - Xenons - Bright Pack - Cold Pack - Premium Stereo
Alpine Roof - Towpack - Alpine Touchscreen Satnav - Veba Rear DVD changer
Alpine Roof Monitor - Webasto FBH Timer - Brembo Frt & S/C Rr Brakes

Post #174212 Tue Jun 24 2008 1:50pm
peacemf

wow
thanks for the info man
cos i was seriously looking into get an supercharged RRS and having an LPG tank!

i'll still to diesel Smile

thanks loads

Also one thing, when they say it "sits in your spare wheel" area, does that mean you CANT have a spare wheel?

Post #174226 Tue Jun 24 2008 2:53pm
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

You'll either have to carry it in the boot (As per the old Rangies) or carry a can of tyre weld. Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #174227 Tue Jun 24 2008 2:54pm
Alicatt

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Supertrotter wrote:
You'll either have to carry it in the boot (As per the old Rangies) or carry a can of tyre weld.
those cans of tyre weld just take up space, I had 4 blow-outs within a week on my MG and by the time you get the car stopped the tyre is shredded. My MG has a rear diff where the spare wheel well should be, so no spare, not even room for a space saver. Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #174249 Tue Jun 24 2008 5:37pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Some marques aren't even supplying spares anymore... you get the can of weld instead but of course that's no good when you drive through a pothole and rip the wheel in half. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #174317 Wed Jun 25 2008 8:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1