RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > New Here! Some questions!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

FAT_RRS

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Java Black
New Here! Some questions!

Very Happy

Hello all, mates...

I have a couple of questions.. I just bought my 06 RRS yesterday (20K miles, nice truck) I came from a 2007 Yukon Denali and a 2006 Hummer SUT before that.

Here they are;

1. Has anyone figured out if there is an iphone cradle for the phone system in the 2006? I like the idea of boosted antenna and charging etc. My bluetooth works great, but I'd like to be hardwired.. Also- the BMW's have the same phone device as us, they have an iphone cradle which has the same connector on the back. Will it work with our system?

Here's the link copy and paste, sorry:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-Genuine...0228633299

2. I learned how to use the 1791 code for nav on the go. Is there a way to make it so I dont' have to punch in the code EVERY time I want nav on the go? Kind of annoying.

3. I've heard of the programming for the nav on the go. Will the do this in the USA?

4. Anyone get aftermarket dvd to play on the nav screen? Or do I have to pay the $1500 USD to a company to modify my existing equipment.

Thanks! I'm happy to be here!

Post #173295 Wed Jun 18 2008 7:00pm
PauloAmore

Scotland 

There is no iphone cradle for the Range Rover system.
- Buy the BMW one and try it.... Not been considered here so far as I know.

Are you sure it's the same system.

DVD on the go needs a costly modification, yes. 2022 P440e AB

Post #173298 Wed Jun 18 2008 7:17pm
FAT_RRS

Thanks!

Hey,
I can't get the Siruis radio to display song and artist info.. Is that another feature like power folding mirrors that us Yanks are too stupid for?

Post #173304 Wed Jun 18 2008 7:47pm
PauloAmore

Scotland 

FAT_RRS wrote:
Thanks!

Hey,
I can't get the Siruis radio to display song and artist info.. Is that another feature like power folding mirrors that us Yanks are too stupid for?

Yup. Whistle

stop press

LR iPod touch cradle fits the iPhone.

Doesnt give you a hardline connection for the antennae. If the bmw works. Let us know. 2022 P440e AB

Post #173332 Wed Jun 18 2008 8:57pm
skibum

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Yeah, i think a few people will be keen to hear if it works

We await with anticipation!!!! TDV6 HSE 2007 model, Stornoway Grey, Ivory leather,Privacy glass, Premium ICE Pack, side steps, tasmod sills, now towbar and seat covers

Post #174697 Fri Jun 27 2008 5:54pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black
Re: New Here! Some questions!

FAT_RRS wrote:

2. I learned how to use the 1791 code for nav on the go. Is there a way to make it so I dont' have to punch in the code EVERY time I want nav on the go? Kind of annoying.

Have the software updated for "Navigation on the Move". Cost me 95 quid to have all modules (nav, phone, amps, etc) updated, plus 60 quid for the latest DVD through fleaBay. Works a treat.

EDIT: Sorry - just noticed your location. Nav on the move is not available in the US. Sorry. 

Post #174700 Fri Jun 27 2008 6:58pm
FAT_RRS

Darn! I am looking at some 22" Stormers on Ebay for $800 USD. They are obviously made cheap somewhere... Do members here have them? I want to powdercoat them black... I can't find anything negative on them and I have been looking for a week for a reason not to buy them now! (other than the fact that my wife will be very Censored off)

Post #174702 Fri Jun 27 2008 7:38pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Don't buy cheap wheels - the weight of the RRS dictates that you get the best the market offers even if they cost a fortune. Your life could depend on it! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #174703 Fri Jun 27 2008 8:36pm
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

FAT_RRS wrote:
Thanks!

Hey,

Push the rotary "Enter" knob on the lower right corner of the radio LCD to toggle between genre / artist name / song name while listening to Sirius. Unfortunately, the car always reverts to genre when restarting, it does't remember your preferred setting.

Power folding mirrors are now standard in the US as well - alas, only on MY08+. 

Last edited by umbertob on Fri Jun 27 2008 8:51pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #174705 Fri Jun 27 2008 8:47pm
umbertob

FAT_RRS wrote:
Darn! I am looking at some 22" Stormers on Ebay for $800 USD. They are obviously made cheap somewhere... Do members here have them? I want to powdercoat them black... I can't find anything negative on them and I have been looking for a week for a reason not to buy them now! (other than the fact that my wife will be very Censored off)

Lots of owners run those 22" Stormer knockoffs on rangerovers.net. So far, everyone seems happy with them. You may need new lug nuts for them, as the ones for the stock rims are too large. Ask the supplier to send you 20 of them if they are, and don't forget to keep 5 stock lugs in your car at all times (you'll need them for the spare wheel if you ever have a flat!)

FAT_RRS wrote:

4. Anyone get aftermarket dvd to play on the nav screen? Or do I have to pay the $1500 USD to a company to modify my existing equipment.

If you don't have the factory RSE and all you want to do is play video on the front monitor from a portable or aftermarket DVD player, the GVIF switch sold by Gnet Canada may be a cheaper alternative to Nav-TV... If you can buy it. They seem to be out of stock all the time: http://www.gnetcanada.com/navvideo-models-...er%20Sport

Regarding navigation on the go, the 1791 hack is still the only workaround in the US, and a temporary one at that, as you know... If you ever want to update your data disc to the latest version (2007 and 2008 DVDs are available), you will lose that back door as well, as the firmware that loads from the new DVD wipes out the code for good. However, you can... ehm, modify the new DVD to prevent such firmware instructions from loading and preserve your 1791 workaround. "Luckily" you bought a MY06 with original DVD. 07s and 08s can no longer be hacked with the 1791 code, courtesy of Land Rover North America, and you'd be SOL. 

Post #174706 Fri Jun 27 2008 8:51pm
FAT_RRS

WOW, great info. Figured out the Sat Radio features finally, thanks.

I think I will get the Stormers and keep my 19's for winter.. I will post pictures.

Thanks for the input on the Rims, there's a craigslist ad for some SAF wheels that West Coast Customs murdered out for this guy, he says they are worth $6800 and I can get a good deal. I may go that route but I like the look of the stormers blacked out way better.

I am not going to buy the BMW cradle until I know it works with the 3G phone, that's on hold until then. I'm sure BMW will let thier owners know (or us owners I have an X5 as well... I did think about getting it and trying it, then if it won't work putting it into the X5...)

Y'all sure know how to make great vehicle "across the pond"....

On a side note, the LR dealership that I bought my RRS from is having an event this weekend at a trail called Bill Moore Lake. It's literally 35-40 minutes from Downtown Denver and it's amazing.. I will post some pictures... A tree/rocky trail all the way up to a lake above tree-line.. Amazing.. (another reason to keep my 19's...)

You people in Europe should really come take a look at what Colorado has to offer! I can sell you a vacation home!!! www.pallonesells.com lol

Post #174711 Sat Jun 28 2008 12:51am
umbertob

I am 99.9% sure any non-Land Rover issued cradle would not work with our system. Only cradles available for this system were for some now ancient Nokia handsets (not surprisingly, since the whole PTI system is made by Nokia.)

There is also a fairly recent Tech Bulletin that will upgrade the capability of your Bluetooth system via software update - you need to visit the dealer for that and they'll likely charge you about an hour of labor - so you will be able to download your iPhone's phonebook into the car's memory. That's something you probably cannot do right now in your MY06. That should make the system a bit more user friendly. Check this thread on rr.net for more details, since the TSB # may be different in NA than it is in ROW: http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24359 

Post #174713 Sat Jun 28 2008 4:09am
Rupert

Ireland 

I wouldn’t think that the BMW cradle would work in a RRS TBH.

While the connector does knda look the same, it is though in the wrong place !

On the LR cradle, the connector is in the middle, whereas it’s on an end on the BMW cradle. So straight away that rules out a simple plug ‘n’ play job. Plus the catches for the snap in are all wrong too.

There would be a fair amount of “Guntering” to try to hardwire the BMW cradle into the RRS system.

As LR have most definitely gone down the Bluetooth route for phone integration, by eliminating the hardwire cradle from MY08 (?) onwards, we all might as well just accept BT as the way it’s going to be.

Just a pity they haven’t put the rather excellent BT system from the FL2 into the RRS’s & D3’s Sad

Post #174740 Sat Jun 28 2008 10:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1