RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Paintwork Scratching?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Endjin

Scotland 
Paintwork Scratching?

Ive noticed that my paintwork is really badly scratched. It's not big scratches but almost like the car has been through a bad carwash and it's left thousands of very fine scratches all over the car. It is particulalry bad around the front wheel arches. I have tried a couple of the paint restore and colour matched polishes suitable for Metallic & Celulose coated paints, but to be honest, they don't seem to do anything to get rid of the scratches.

I wash both our Black cars by hand in exactly the same way and our 3 year old Boxster's paint is in perfect condition whereas my June 07 RRS is looking pretty bad Sad Big Cry

Is it just crap paint on the RRS or do you think I may have a problem that the dealer should take a look at?

Any suggestions gratefully accepted, Cheers guys 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

GONE - RRS - 3.0 TDV6 HSE - Santorini (2010)
GONE - RRS - 2.7 TDV6 HSE - Java Black (2007)
GONE - Porsche Boxster S - 3.2 - Black

Post #158860 Sun Mar 09 2008 2:50pm
modbarra

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Try; clean the car, then polish with 3M Hand Glaze (from any motor factor/body shop), polish with Mequiars Deep Crystal then finish with Mequiars Gold Class Polish... panel at a time... should remove them and leave deep shine.

Post #158863 Sun Mar 09 2008 4:15pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Gawd that sounds like hard work for a chilly Sunday afternoon! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #158866 Sun Mar 09 2008 6:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CY

Scotland 

It is likely swirl marks which are usually the result of mechanical car washes or poor wash technique.

They can be cured through waxing and polishing (usually machine polishing) as modbarra says above but doing it by hand usually only reduces its visibility.

Professional detailers can remove it altogether.

I would reckon that any car that hasn't been properly 'detailed' will have it, yours isn't an isolated case Wink Put some harsh artificial light onto your Boxster and you'll probably discover it there too.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  "CY from DISCO3"

Post #158870 Sun Mar 09 2008 6:23pm
Endjin

Scotland 

Thanks for the replies guys,

The car has never been near a carwash and the scratches are not in swirls but are in straight horizontal lines.
The only way i could describe it is if you imagine you drove the car through a sand storm at high speed and the patern you would get due to the abrasion. When I wash the car I use a micro fibre mitten and just rinse off with a hose. The Boxster and the RRS sit beside each other on the drive and I have inspected the Boxsters paint and although it shows some signs of small scratches, (it is 3 years old), they are nothing compared to the RRS. I have washed all my cars the same way and have never had this problem with any of them so I would doubt it's my washing technique.

I think maybe i'll take the advice a hand it over to a prof detailer and get it sorted then treated with one of the super gaurd type systems. Anyone recommend a good detailer in Aberdeen area? 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

Last edited by Endjin on Mon Mar 10 2008 2:42pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #158953 Mon Mar 10 2008 11:48am
wokkaman

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Zermatt Silver

Mine does the same Big Cry But then so does the one the Display Team has Big Cry

Not on Mrs Wokka's ST or my Kwak and we wash those at the sametime Shocked GONE** RRS 3.0SC Silver fully loaded Smile - 2020 110 loving it
BMW R1200GSA Rallye
GONE** Fiesta ST2 - Mrs Wokka's - AMG35 now
GONE**BMW K1600GTLE Matt Blue
GONE**Disco 4 2014 Firenze Red
GONE**Evoque SD4 Dynamic Coupe
GONE**RRS 5.0 SC
GONE**RRS HSE TDV8
GONE**RRS HSE TDV8 (The Crap one)
GONE**FL Facelift
GONE**FL 1
GONE**D1
GONE**BMW R1200GS Adventure
GONE: Kawasaki ZX10R
GONE: Focus ST2
** Chinook CH47 - 2 x T55 engines 3,750 hp each!! 183mph, 2xM134 Miniguns, 1xM60

Post #159006 Mon Mar 10 2008 2:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wokkaman

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Zermatt Silver

Gave it good clean and Autogylm Deep Shine Polish and Autoglym wax.... scratches still there. Never was on my old RRS - but then that was always in the workshop Rolling with laughter

Maybe time to ask the Dealer Thumbs Up GONE** RRS 3.0SC Silver fully loaded Smile - 2020 110 loving it
BMW R1200GSA Rallye
GONE** Fiesta ST2 - Mrs Wokka's - AMG35 now
GONE**BMW K1600GTLE Matt Blue
GONE**Disco 4 2014 Firenze Red
GONE**Evoque SD4 Dynamic Coupe
GONE**RRS 5.0 SC
GONE**RRS HSE TDV8
GONE**RRS HSE TDV8 (The Crap one)
GONE**FL Facelift
GONE**FL 1
GONE**D1
GONE**BMW R1200GS Adventure
GONE: Kawasaki ZX10R
GONE: Focus ST2
** Chinook CH47 - 2 x T55 engines 3,750 hp each!! 183mph, 2xM134 Miniguns, 1xM60

Post #162630 Mon Mar 31 2008 11:56am
BigMart

United Kingdom 

German paint , VAG , Porsche , BMW ,is well acknowledged in the valeting trade as having very hard paint.
Good for scratch resistance but a pig to correct scratches and swirls if it's a bit neglected.

LR paint is another matter... Big Cry

It's not as soft as some other makes , Vauxhall solid red is as soft as butter.

All we can do is have a reasonable washing tecnique , rinse first , lots of soap , washmitt NOT SPONGE , rinse well , DO NOT DRY WITH A SILICON BLADE.

and try and keep a layer of polish on it. I use a polish with carnuba wax ,

For the lazy amongst us Autoglym super resin polish has a very light cutting action and contains fillers which hide a lot of scratches and swirls , its got a good gloss , too.

Wax on.....Wax off Rolling with laughter

Mart Thumbs Up Jaguar XF 3.0D Portfolio
RRS TDV6 HSE 2006 , Zermatt , Gone

Post #162648 Mon Mar 31 2008 12:33pm
RonnieG

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Get yourself along to Polished Bliss in Aberdeen (Clark is one if not the best detailer in the UK) they will sort your bodywork out and instruct you on proper care whilst washing ie using a 2 bucket method etc they can also give you a monthly/quarterly maintenance plan to keep the old girl in tip top conditin. if the prices are too high then go onto Detailing world and there are lots of mobile detailers that can help!!!

PS the straight line scratches are a clear indication of poor wash technique on soft paint nothing to worry about and easily sorted! hope this helps PM me if u need any advice I will try and help as best I can!

Post #164851 Sun Apr 13 2008 12:10am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

i don't think you can compare paint swirls between different brands, the paint toughness is totally different Smile

Try using something like Auto Glym Super Resin Polish as it has more fillers that the Ultra Deep Shine and should mask the swirl effects

Or get a quote on a paint correction polish from a detailer

Post #164852 Sun Apr 13 2008 12:16am
Endjin

Scotland 

Thanks for the tips chaps Thumbs Up

And Cheers to RonnieG for the info on "polished Bliss" I will give them a call Thumbs Up 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black

Post #164882 Sun Apr 13 2008 11:01am
RonnieG

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Endjin wrote:
Thanks for the tips chaps Thumbs Up

And Cheers to RonnieG for the info on "polished Bliss" I will give them a call Thumbs Up

NO probs if they are booked up try Detailing world for another detailer they have a section where u can see their work so u can make an informed decision!! IMO they are all very good at what they do so whoever u go to u won't be disappointed. Polished Bliss is the place to go to get ur car care equipment though!

Post #164888 Sun Apr 13 2008 11:53am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 
Black TDV8 Detailed and polished

Anybody on here

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I do think Black does look great if not "wet" when they have a decent wax/polish

Few more pictures here

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #165354 Mon Apr 14 2008 9:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1